Responsible for coordinating the investigation and development of
data-informed, innovative tools that enhance and extend all
technology platforms provided by the TLOS Learning Systems (LS)
team, including, but not limited to:
- Canvas learning management system
- Zoom video conferencing platform
- Kaltura video content management system
- EvaluationKIT survey platform
- Canvas Catalog course registration system
- TLOS’s enterprise WordPress instance
- The TLOS data analytics infrastructure
Core duties include:
- Analyze existing data within TLOS’s supported systems to
discover opportunities for enhancing systems.
- Partner with faculty to identify pedagogical problems that can
be solved by innovative uses of digital learning tools.
- Explore and evaluate new technologies that can improve
instruction, and then encourage and support faculty in the
appropriate use of such technologies.
- Prototype, implement, and test new features for platforms
within Virginia Tech’s digital learning ecosystem.
- Work collaboratively with other teams within TLOS to meet
project goals and organizational objectives.
- Design, enhance, and optimize TLOS’s data dashboards to improve
the organization’s reporting capabilities.
- Provide end-user support as part of TLOS’s operations
- Serve as a “voice of innovation” within the Learning Systems
team and TLOS more broadly.
- Master’s degree in instructional design and technology.
- Completion of coursework (minimum of 2 courses) in human-computer
interaction and/or usability.
- 10 years of total experience working in higher education.
- 5 years of teaching experience in higher education.
- 2 years of experience working with educational technologies, both
existing and emerging.
- 2 years of experience analyzing large data sets and creating
customized data visualizations, both static and interactive.
- 2 years of software development experience in a higher education
environment, using one or more of the following programming
languages: Python, Node/JS, C/C++, Java.
- 2 years of experience supporting faculty and student projects in
- 2 years of experience creating and maintaining relational
databases for use in web-based applications.
- 1 year of experience in product research and selection
- 5 years of experience with learning management systems, online
collaboration systems, and source code management systems (such as
Git, Subversion, or CVS).
- Demonstrated experience, over a period of 5 years or more, making
professional presentations and developing oral, print, digital, and
web-based materials that successfully communicate technical
concepts to a diverse and frequently nontechnical audience.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal
conviction check as well as documentation of COVID-19
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim
(That I May Serve),
Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a
hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be
leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution
that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the
world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community
to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more
than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000
undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight
, a school of
, a veterinary
college, Graduate School
, and Honors College
. The university
has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus
in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in
Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices
. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech
conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or
applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including
pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic
information, national origin, political affiliation, race,
religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise
discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about,
discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of
other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an
accommodation, please contact Brittany Kessler
regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the
August 26, 2021