HUMAN RESOURCES SPECIALIST FULL-TIME
KENNEDY KING COLLEGE
Reporting to the Director, Human Resources at a college, the Human
Resources (HR) Specialist provides professional HR services to
staff and faculty and facilitates the coordination, administration,
and delivery of HR programs. The HR Specialist participates in
integrating HR initiatives and programs with business plans to
achieve the strategic goals and operational objectives of the
college. Performs related duties as required.
Education, Training and Experience
- Supports and coordinates the hiring process for faculty and
non-faculty vacancies. Partners with Talent Acquisition team to
fulfill hiring needs. Participates in the interviewing and
selection process as required.
- Coordinates the new hire/ onboarding process, reviewing and
processing required forms, responding to inquiries, providing new
employee orientation, and ensuring a smooth onboarding of
- Addresses employee and labor relations issues including
progressive discipline, reductions in force, and explanations of
and compliance with collective bargaining agreements and Board
- Coaches and counsels managers on performance management,
employee relations issues, adherence to collective bargaining
agreements, and HR processes and procedures.
- Interprets and explains HR policies and regulations relating to
employee and labor relations, salary administration, leaves of
absence, and related employment matters to employees.
- Consults with management to develop and implement personnel
processes and procedures.
- Assists in delivering HR programs in areas including learning
and organizational development, performance management, employee
relations, and labor relations.
- Delivers high levels of customer service when responding to
inquiries regarding policy, pay and other HR procedures.
- Conducts exit interviews with department employees to gather
feedback and makes suggestions to improve the employee
- Analyzes HR workforce trends and identifies areas for process
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in
Human Resources, Business Administration, Management or a related
field. An equivalent combination of training and experience will be
taken into consideration in lieu of a college degree.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- PHR/SPHR and/or SHRM-CP/SCP desirable
- Three years of work experience in human resources, customer
service, administration or a related area of work.
- Familiarity and/or experience working with PeopleSoft HCM or
talent management systems (i.e. Taleo) highly desirable
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel,
- Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
- Knowledge of human resources management principles
- Knowledge and understanding of HRIS systems
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state employment laws
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and build
strong partnerships with senior executives and all levels of the
- Ability to work within a culturally diverse environment
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in handling sensitive
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within
six (6) months of hire.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of
- Dependability – Demonstrate reliability, responsibility, and
dependability and fulfill obligations
- Initiative – Demonstrate willingness to take on
responsibilities and job challenges
- Adaptability/Flexibility – Be open to change (positive or
negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace
- Analytical Thinking – Analyze information and use data to
address work or job issues
- Attention to Detail – Pay careful attention to detail and
thoroughness in completing work