Employment Position Management - POSITIO N_ PREVIE W_ VIE W_
SCREEN | Default Page | Manage Positions | Home Page
The Department of Biology at Emory &
Henry College invites applications for the position of Assistant
Professor of Biology. The posting is a full-time, tenure-track
position, with a start date of August 1, 2022 with the option to
start January 2nd, 2022 if available. The Department is part of an
historic liberal arts college (est. 1836) in Emory, Virginia, USA,
on a rural campus in the picturesque Appalachian Mountains.
Committed to excellence in teaching and mentored undergraduate
research, the Department of Biology is one of the college’s most
vibrant and successful programs training students for diverse paths
including wildlife and conservation applications, biomedical
research, and health professions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the biology faculty team in activities such as teaching,
advising, mentored undergraduate research projects, recruitment,
program assessment and curriculum development.
- Maintain an active research program involving undergraduate
- Teach departmental courses such as majors and non-majors
introductory biology as well as upper-level courses in cellular and
molecular biology, and an upper-level elective to complement
existing expertise and offerings in the department.
- Teach courses in the college’s liberal arts core
- Serve on college-wide committees or the Faculty Senate.
- Ph.D. in Biology or discipline-related field from an accredited
institution expected by contract start date; evidence of teaching
excellence; an ability to build connections within the academic
community; a record or promise of published scholarship.
- Candidates must have a background in an area focusing on
- An interdisciplinary approach to teaching and scholarship is
the standard at our institution. The successful candidate will have
an interest in a range of biological areas related to biodiversity
and ecology, evolution and systematics, molecular biology,
functional/developmental anatomy and physiology.
- The successful candidate should have interest and demonstrated
ability to be able to teach undergraduate general biology
(majors/non-majors), Cell Biology, and one or more courses in the
following areas: Developmental Biology, Molecular Biology,
- Preference will be given to candidates with at least one year
of experience teaching in higher education, and experience
involving and mentoring undergraduate students in an active
research program, including students from diverse backgrounds.
Please apply at https://myhub.ehc.edu/ICS/Employment_Opportunities/
Please upload the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Current CV
- Unofficial transcripts, both undergrad and
- At least 3 letters of recommendation - Candidates
should arrange to have their letters of recommendation sent
directly to Dr. George C. Argyros, Search Committee Chair,
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Statement of research interests and plan
Questions may be directed to Dr. George C. Argyros,
Associate Professor and Chair of Biology: firstname.lastname@example.org or