ASSOCIATE DEAN – WASHBURNE CULINARY & HOSPITALITY
Reporting to the Executive Dean, the Associate Dean of Washburne
Culinary Arts & Hospitality Institute provides academic
leadership, development, and management oversight of degree and
certificate programs focusing on the Culinary Arts, Hospitality
Management, and Baking & Pastry, and offered at the Washburne
Culinary & Hospitality Institute at City Colleges of Chicago’s
(CCC) Kennedy-King College. The Associate Dean of Culinary &
Hospitality contributes to the overall success of the Institute,
assisting in managing the day-to-day operations of the Institute,
including but not limited to the planning, staffing, and budgeting
needs of the programs.
- Identifies and recommends staffing needs to the Executive Dean.
Interviews and recommends selection of part-time instructional
staff including vocational lecturers and training specialists.
- Evaluates staff and make recommendations regarding retention
and non-retention, in compliance with college policies and
applicable collective bargaining agreements.
- Accountable for meeting recruitment, retention, and graduation
targets of students in the Culinary Arts, Hospitality Management,
and Baking & Pastry components at the Washburne Culinary &
- Works in close collaboration with industry leaders to design
curriculum and work-based learning experiences for new programs in
the Culinary Arts program.
- Manages the Culinary Arts program and its overall operations
through direct supervision of key staff, providing direction and
guidance to staff to ensure the effective use of resources and
operation of programs.
- Mediates and resolves student complaints in compliance with
district policies and procedures.
- Works with the Business Office in developing and managing
budgets and allocating resources for Culinary Arts Program.
- Monitors budget expenditures; develops and implements
procedures for the procurement of goods and services, and the
control of food costs and waste associated with educational
- Oversees the repair and maintenance of instructional culinary
and kitchen equipment, working with facilities staff and vendors to
ensure their proper operation.
- Ensures the proper inventorying of culinary and kitchen
equipment and the maintenance of inventory control records.
- Works with the Office of Advising and other college
administrators to facilitate seamless registration processes for
program students consistent with District policies and
- Works with the Office of Research in planning for the
collection and assessment of data to review enrollment, evaluate
programs and courses, assess student outcomes, and provide data to
support accreditation reviews.
- Represents the Washburne Culinary and Hospitality Institute to
community organizations and agencies and participates on
- Performs related duties as required.
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within
six months of hire.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Culinary
Arts, Baking and Pastry Arts, Hospitality Management, or a related
- Master’s degree preferred
- Five years of experience in food service management, culinary
arts and/ or a hospitality setting.
- Experience as an instructor and/ or administrator in a culinary
arts and hospitality management education environment
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel,
- Knowledge of curriculum development in the culinary arts
- Knowledge of student outcome assessment methods
- Knowledge of program accreditation procedures, assessment and
- Knowledge of CCC policies and procedures; collective bargaining
agreements; and employee/faculty/student handbooks
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Strong skills in planning, implementing and monitoring program
- Ability to guide and motivate others toward goal
- Ability to work within a culturally diverse environment
- Ability to maintain an environment that fosters excellence in
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!