Job Posting Title
Administrative Specialist, Purchasing Office
The Administrative Specialist position provides high level office
support for the Office of Administration and Finance and the
Purchasing Office. Responsible for a wide range of administrative
duties including customer service inquiries; preparing contracts,
reports, and spreadsheets; handling information requests;
scheduling of meetings; making travel arrangements; and maintaining
calendars and schedules. Duties include providing administrative
support while maintaining strict confidentiality when working with
sensitive information. A successful candidate must have the ability
to work independently, be highly detailed, and organized.
: High school diploma or GED
equivalency and two years of office experience or two years of
- Bachelor’s degree
- Two plus years of office experience
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office as evidenced by
- Experience working in a university setting
- Excellent written and oral skills
- Outstanding customer service and interpersonal skills
- Experience in the area of purchasing
- Supervisory experience
: $15.06 per hour
- Weekends OFF
- Set schedule Monday through Friday
- KBOR 403B retirement plan
- Insurance includes medical, dental, vision and prescription -
day one coverage
- Accrues 6.77 hours vacation and 3.7 hours sick leave per pay
- earn up to 272 hours of paid leave per year, (176 vacation, 96
- State paid holidays
- New Year’s Day, MLK Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor
Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving & Christmas
- Tuition Assistance - day one eligibility
- Employee's are eligible for up to 6 free credit hours per
- Spouse and dependents are also eligible
: Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
The start date will be determined after
acceptance of an offer and successful completion of a background
Screening of applications will begin
immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Purchasing responsibilities (30%):
- Aid with purchasing forms, contracts, policies, and bids as
needed by the Purchasing Director.
- Perform supplier searches on Vendor Registry for products or
- Contact suppliers and vendors for pricing, availability, and
update supplier information in Workflow.
- Provide status updates of purchases to other departments.
- Perform procurement functions such as initial agreement review,
complete, and send purchase orders and agreements to suppliers and
- Provide training to new administrative staff on purchasing
- Oversee FHSU specific contracts such as campus cable, copier,
elevator contracts to process payments, keep track of pertinent
information as required, process renewals, and contact suppliers
for updates and changes.
Student Organization responsibilities (25%):
- Assist student organizations with Activity Accounts and Student
Government Association funding.
- Provide training and documentation on processes and procedures
to purchase materials and supplies from accounts through Workday.
This includes information on payments with credit card checkout,
supplier invoices, and processes to check balances and reconcile
- Answer questions or provide direction to organizations on
available funding and allowed processes with state funds.
- Assist student organizations with conference and hotel
registrations, flight bookings, and completion of travel
- Assist, train and provide on-going support to student
- Annual training for all student organizations providing
policies and procedures on Workday/Workflow processes. Assist
student organizations with travel arrangements, purchases, and
forms to be completed for their activities such as meetings,
conferences, Oktoberfest, donations, etc.
University Farm responsibilities (20%):
- Process payments for farm expenses.
- Deposit incoming funds.
- Reconcile credit card transactions for staff.
- Update and reconcile accounts.
- Update and submit inventory.
Vice President for Administration and Finance responsibilities
- Provide administrative support to the VP of Administration and
Finance and the Controller.
- Coordinate meetings including securing conference rooms,
resources, and materials.
- Arrange and coordinate travel and travel reimbursement.
- Oversee Vice President’s calendar and scheduling meetings.
- Submit correspondences for the Vice President.
- Oversee and update the webpages for Vice President for
Administration and Finance, Purchasing, Standing Committees, and
- Process and oversee Staff Development submittals and
- Provide overall building assistance in submitting work requests
for various repairs and maintenance. Notify the building employees
with various issues and repairs.
Other responsibilities (10%):
Required Application Documents
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining high-quality
customer service using professionalism, approachability, and sound
- Process payments for university expenses including General
Institutional Expenses, deposit incoming funds, and balancing
service clearing accounts.
- Compose and disseminate correspondence, forms, and
- Assist with hiring, training, and supervising student
- Order office supplies.
- Responsible for day-to-day phone and email communication for
- Other duties as assigned by the VP of Administration and
Finance, Controller, Purchasing Director or requests from other
areas of Administration and Finance and campus for assistance.
: Applicants should submit a
cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three
Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please
Kathy Herrman, Purchasing Director
Community of Hays
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant college town of approximately
20,000, located halfway between Kansas City and Denver on
Interstate 70. Hays is the regional center for education, health
care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for
the western half of Kansas. The community boasts excellent
recreational programs and facilities, including the comprehensive
Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, Smoky Hill
Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, and extensive walking,
running, and biking trails. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large
lakes that offer great opportunities for boating, fishing, and
camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to
Denver with several flights daily. The Hays community is home to
excellent Pre-K and K-12, public and private schools. With over 60
restaurants, major retail outlets, a low unemployment rate, and
very short commute times, the city provides a safe, welcoming,
low-cost, high-quality living environment for the residents who
call "Hays, America" home.
Notice of Non-discrimination
– Fort Hays State University is
an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the
basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age,
marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability
or veteran status.
Final candidate will have consented to and
successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position:
legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and
your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please
contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org
further information on how this might affect you.