Since its founding in 1900, Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) has
been a birthplace of innovation. It has globally top ranked
programs in engineering, computer science and information and
communication technology as well as a rich history of
entrepreneurship. CMU is dedicated to producing creative and
technically strong engineers that have meaningful impact in their
communities and accelerate positive technological change in the
world. In 2011, CMU extended its global footprint into Africa as
Carnegie Mellon University Africa (CMU-Africa) based in Rwanda’s
Kigali Innovation City. In a region booming with opportunities, CMU
is the only U.S.-based research university offering its master’s
degrees with a full-time faculty, staff, and operations in Africa.
The Africa location is fast-growing, with close to 300 enrolled
students from more than 20 African countries. You can read more
about CMU-Africa's vision and mission on our website. CMU’s
presence in Rwanda provides a platform to engage in Africa’s most
significant opportunities and challenges across the continent
through world-class education and contextually relevant research
and innovation. CMU-Africa enjoys strong collaboration and exchange
with the main campus in Pittsburgh, USA.
Carnegie Mellon University is seeking a dynamic leader to serve as
Director for the Center for Inclusive Digital Transformation of
Africa (CIDTA) at its location in Rwanda, Carnegie Mellon
University Africa (CMU-Africa). CIDTA is a $100M six-year
partnership with the Mastercard Foundation, in collaboration with
the Government of Rwanda, aimed at stimulating inclusive digital
growth in Africa. It encompasses several programs organized into
three pillars: teaching and learning, knowledge creation, and
entrepreneurship that will be executed through a network of up to
10 universities on the continent. This position is an exciting
opportunity to partner with subject matter experts to shape and
lead a pan-African initiative with the potential for far-reaching
impact. Success in this role will require cultivating and
coordinating the education, research and entrepreneurial strengths
of CMU and partners, and will suit an enthusiastic, collaborative,
and motivated person who is a hands-on leader.
This role will report to the Director of CMU-Africa and will
oversee the day-to-day administration of CIDTA programs,
coordinating multiple complex projects and monitoring progress
against programmatic strategy and goals, working with the finance
teams to ensure operations are within budget, and keeping all
stakeholders informed. As part of the CIDTA Program Committee, the
director will cocreate and design programmatic strategy and scope.
They will leverage and partner with CMU multi-departmental
leadership in both Pittsburgh and Kigali and lead a team of subject
matter experts and support staff to develop program/project best
practices, processes, and procedures in alignment with agreed
strategy, while ensuring compliance with CMU and partner
As Director for CIDTA, you will oversee the day-to-day operations
of the center. The successful candidate will have a strong
background in program development, management and leadership, with
significant experience in strategic planning and implementation.
You will be a key leader and technical advisor, collaborating with
CMU multi- departmental leadership in both Pittsburgh and Kigali
and a team of subject matter experts from partner universities to
deliver on the strategic plan. The scope of responsibilities will
include, but not be limited to:
- Contribute significantly to the strategic planning and setting
of programmatic direction and scope as key member of the CIDTA
- Work with the CMU-Africa director, senior leadership team,
faculty, researchers, network universities, and other stakeholders
on logistical elements of the strategic plan.
- Oversee the implementation of CIDTA programs and initiatives
under the three pillars of teaching and learning, knowledge
creation, and entrepreneurship at CMU, ensuring alignment with
strategy and partner agreements.
- Collaborate with university partners to ensure effective
implementation of network programs and initiatives under the three
pillars of teaching and learning, knowledge creation, and
entrepreneurship per agreement.
- Oversee the monitoring and evaluation of program effectiveness,
tracking deliverables and other requirements, to ensure timely
identification and execution of course-corrective measures.
- Leverage and partner with CMU-Africa, the College of
Engineering, and wider university’s business, HR, legal, and
research administrative teams to define and develop program /
project best practices, processes, and policy to ensure alignment
with CMU and external partner strategy and policies. Create and
maintain standard operating procedures for CIDTA operations.
- Manage, coordinate, and provide support for an
interdisciplinary team of subject matter experts, program managers,
and administrative support staff responsible for designing,
running, and assessing the various CIDTA programs and initiatives
at CMU-Africa, keeping them focused on achieving specific program
- Directly or indirectly supervise all staff for the center,
including day-to-day assignment of work to direct reports (+/- 7),
providing coaching, and mentoring and, in cooperation with
CMU-Africa’s Associate Director of HR and Pittsburgh HR, oversee
performance management, training, and development.
- Partner with CMU-Africa’s Chief Operations Officer to manage
and track budget and resources across programs and initiatives,
ensuring accurate and timely reporting to internal stakeholders and
- Establish and maintain relationships with external partners
(network universities, funding partners, government agencies,
non-profits, etc.) and represent CMU in the network of partner
universities (known as Afretec).
- Travel, as needed, to work with external partners and the CMU
- Graduate degree in relevant field.
- Minimum of eight years of progressively responsible work
experience in administering and managing large complex projects
with external collaborators.
- Experience working in diverse and globally oriented business,
educational or research institutions.
- Experience in establishing and managing partnerships in
- Excellent written and verbal English communication
- Experience in facilitating large multi-institutional and
geographically spread teams.
- Experience in working with universities in Africa.
- Experience in hosting (running) academic workshops, large event
- Fluency in both spoken and written French.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Leadership skills and competencies including leading people,
organizational change, multi-tasking, delegation, analytical and
communications skills, planning and organizing skills.
- Ability to inspire confidence, offer sound judgment, and
demonstrate professional maturity.
- Demonstrable ability to collaborate across multidisciplinary
teams, diverse cultures, and time zones, with a high emotional
- Excellent negotiation skills, and ability to facilitate group
decision-making and cocreation of projects and program
- Dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and a grasp of
their complex articulations at a global institution like Carnegie
Mellon University and across partner universities on the African
- Attention to detail with the ability to synthesize and
communicate complex ideas in various formats tailored to diverse
- Flexibility to adapt to changing priorities in a fastmoving
environment and able to execute a range of job duties.
Are you interested in this exciting opportunity? Apply today!
Program, Project and Operations Management
Staff – Regular
Full Time/Part time
- Please visit “ Why Carnegie Mellon ” to learn more about
becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change
- Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
- Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity
- Statement of Assurance