A successful candidate will play an active role in FMU’s existing
academic success to ensure students are provided with opportunities
and services to help them succeed academically. The
Assistant Director of Bands /Director of
Assists the Director of Bands with facilitating
the effective operations the Band Program,
logistics of rehearsal, performances, events, and travel of band
program elements, manage the effective maintenance of facilities,
instruments, uniforms and equipment, oversee musical development of
trumpet sections and ensembles within the program, assist in the
recruitment, development, and retention of quality band students,
and maintains a high-profile presence in the community and schools
in the region. Additional duties may be required based on the needs
of the programs and the experience and expertise of the candidate.
This customer centric role is responsible to deliver service
excellence support to meet the needs of our university community.
Demonstrates the professionalism needed to handle sensitive and
Under minimal supervision;
manages the day-to-day office responsibilities to:
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Assist Director of Bands (DOB) with the management and function
of the marching/athletic band and concert ensembles of the
University Band Program
- Manages the logistics of rehearsals, performances, and program
events, i.e., band camp, Roar Festivals, workshops, etc., and works
collaboratively with staff to coordinate band travel.
- Oversee the musical development/function of the trumpet/upper
brass sections in all ensembles.
- Collaborates with directors and staff to coordinate program
elements with academic components
- Serve as a program liaison to Housing/Residential life as
advised by DOB.
- Assist DOB with management of personnel and student activities
associated with the program.
- Oversee repertoire selection, musical preparation, and
programming of trumpet ensembles.
- Assist DOB with recruitment and retention of quality band
students and maintains a high profile in the local community and
secondary schools in the area.
- Assist DOB in fostering an environment and culture that
inspires students to grow and supports the educational focus and
institutional objectives of the band program and university.
- Assist DOB to create and establish a strong sense of esprit de
corps amongst student and staff.
- Participate in the development of content of the band staff
& student operations handbooks.
- Provide instructional feedback to students during full band and
- Attend staff meetings and maintain open and collaborative
communication with fellow staff.
- Additional duties may be required based on needs of the band
program as advised by DOB.
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the
supervisor from assigning duties that logically relate to the
- Ability to assess, analyze and interpret musical forms, scores,
arrangements, instrumentation, genres, styles and provide effective
diagnosis of problems and implementations solutions.
- Ability to handle information of sensitive and confidential
nature in the utmost professional manner. Demonstrate a high level
of professionalism, initiative, resourcefulness, and personal
- Maintain the privacy/confidentiality of information, protect
the assets of the institution, act ethically with integrity, and
adhere to FMU’s Code of Conduct and policies & procedures.
- Effective analytical and decision-making skills. Excellent
communication (oral and written), organizational, and time
management skills. Effective interpersonal skills and ability to
work with diverse constituents.
- Attention to detail and adaptability to a changing environment
is extremely important.
- Manage, prioritize, and accomplish multiple tasks/projects
simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling objects of
average weight up to fifty (50) pounds or standing and/or walking
for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Note: In compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA),
those functions of the job which are identified essential are
required to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Requests to facilitate the performance of essential functions will
be given careful consideration.
- The position requires master and/or six (6) plus years of
experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities
specified. Doctorate degree is preferred.
- Teaching certification and terminal degree in music is a
- Ability to perform complex tasks and prioritize multiple
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, LinkedIn Learning, as well as
knowledge and understanding of the organizational structure,
workflow, and operating procedures. Familiar with Jenzabar
technology suite for higher education.
- Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours, ability
to maintain a flexible work schedule that may include working
nights and weekends.
- Pre-Employment screening is required: criminal background check
and drug testing.
Qualified applicants are asked to upload a cover letter of
interest, resume/curriculum vitae, and/or certifications, if
In addition to the completed application, candidates must submit a
list of three professional references (at least one from a previous
employer) that includes names and contact information. Review of
application materials will begin ASAP and will continue until the
position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Florida Memorial University is an Equal Employment Opportunity