Founded in 1764, Brown is a leading institution for education,
discovery, and global intellectual progress as well as one of the
largest employers in Rhode Island. Working at Brown brings more
than just a paycheck and generous benefits; it offers an
opportunity to contribute to a greater good. Join us in supporting
the pursuit of knowledge and individual growth that defines higher
education and enriches our community.
is a leading research university distinct for its
student-centered learning and deep sense of purpose. Our students,
faculty and staff are driven by the idea that their work will have
an impact in the world. Brown University offers a flexible
work/life balance; summer hours, winter break and a comprehensive
Benefits package including time off, annual paid holidays; benefits
offerings including health, dental, vision, tuition assistance,
retirement, wellness, employee discounts and more. To learn about
Brown University’s benefits, visit the University Human Resources
web page here
for further information.
About the Opportunity:
The Web Producer and Content Strategist in Brown’s Office of the
Vice President for Research (OVPR) is a creative collaborator and
strong communicator who excels in developing strategies for
effectively conveying complex content across web and digital
platforms. Reporting to the Research Communications Manager in
OVPR, the Web Producer and Content Strategist manages the content
strategy for a large, complex web presence, social media channels,
and various forms of digital and e-communications
The Web Producer and Content Strategist is part of a team in OVPR
dedicated to elevating the profile of research across campus and
among the University’s many internal and external constituencies.
The incumbent leverages strong written, verbal and interpersonal
communications skills to develop and maintain effective websites,
collaborating and coordinating with OVPR staff to regularly update
webpages and create new content using Brown’s enterprise web
content management system, Drupal Cloud. The incumbent works with
subject matter experts across the unit to provide editorial
direction and tactical web content management support to ensure a
vibrant and user-centric web presence for OVPR.
The Web Producer and Content Strategist also creates effective and
engaging social media posts, highlighting the vibrancy of efforts
across Brown’s research enterprise. The incumbent also develops
content for newsletters, and supports content and distribution for
other forms of digital outreach. The incumbent centralizes and
coordinates internal communications efforts to provide timely
program updates to faculty, staff and students, and also publicizes
department news, events and activities through various
In addition, the Web Producer and Content Strategist provides the
Communications Manager with support for a range of communications
initiatives for OVPR, including digital content efforts for the
Office of Technology Innovations, which focuses on the
commercialization of faculty research. The incumbent assists with
the web and digital presence for Brown’s research magazine, IMPACT:
Research at Brown magazine, including its distribution, and assists
with marketing efforts for OVPR programs.
Web production, content development and support/maintenance for
OVPR’s web presence
Manage digital communications and social media content and
- Working with stakeholders across OVPR, develop and steward the
content strategy for a user-centric presentation of OVPR’s web
- Manage the content for a large, complex website, collaborating
and coordinating with OVPR staff to regularly update webpages and
create new content aligned with an effective content strategy.
- Write, develop and edit content that is consistent with best
practices and standards. In support of a user-centric presentation
of content, rework and repurpose copy for a range of purposes
including explanatory, administrative, regulatory, advisory and
- Regularly assess web content for compliance with web
accessibility standards, including WCAG and Section 508.
- Recommend and coordinate an effective workflow for ongoing
edits and updates to webpages.
- Promote the website through related communications to internal
and external audiences.
- Ensure web content aligns with University and OVPR messaging
priorities and Brown’s policies and protocols relating to visual
identity, image use, web hosting, copyright, vendor hiring and
accessibility, including regularly assessing web content and any
posted documents for ADA compliance.
- Coordinate with internal campus constituents, including the
Office of University Communications, as needed for projects
requiring collaboration and input from other University
- Regularly update skills and training in web best practices,
innovation and industry standards.
Provide digital and other support for OVPR’s marketing and
- Develop, design and write content for digital communications
and all social media accounts, and manage OVPR newsletters and
other digital outreach. Coordinate information flow for
newsletters, social media, and other forms of digital content,
serving as a liaison to offices across OVPR.
- Work on production and layout of digital newsletters. Ensure
contact lists are maintained accurately and materials are submitted
and distributed on time.
- Execute a social media strategy for OVPR using new and existing
channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn). Utilize social
media tools to post regularly across all channels, ensuring
consistent institutional tone.
- Amplify research news stories from news writers and
communicators from across campus to highlight faculty and student
research. Cover events and stories emerging from OVPR, translating
them into posts and stories. Identify and/or design creative assets
to pair with stories and posts.
- Monitor activity of all online communities, identifying trends
and fielding issues as they arise.
- Supervise students and interns assigned to create digital
content. Assist with directing and administering all duties and
responsibilities including coordinating schedules, assigning
projects, and evaluating work. Assist with staffing, recruiting,
and training students for digital content team.
- Stay current on social media trends and new digital
technologies, incorporating them into the OVPR’s social and digital
strategies as appropriate. Regularly assess posted digital content
for accessibility. Monitor and adjust strategies related to new
technological developments and resources.
- Pursue professional development to remain knowledgeable about
best practices. Attend University-wide social media meetings.
Education and Experience
- Support the digital production of IMPACT Research at Brown
magazine, including posting web content, serving as a liaison for
design and other vendors, and assisting in managing mailing lists
and content distribution.
- Support web, social and e-marketing efforts for core operations
reporting to OVPR, including the Office of Technology
- Help ensure that the OVPR communications adhere to University
communications policies, and attend quarterly Brown Communicators
- Support outreach for OVPR’s awards programs and assist with a
range of dynamic communications projects geared toward elevating
Brown’s research enterprise.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism,
public affairs or a related field, or an equivalent combination of
education and experience.
- 5-7 years of related professional experience in communications,
marketing, development and outreach. Experience working in
university research administration is a plus.
- Proven experience in writing content for websites, with prior
experience working in web content management systems, such as
WordPress or Drupal
- Proven experience in social media strategy and execution
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a proven ability to work
with a diverse population of faculty, staff and students.
- Demonstrated strong communication and presentation skills with
special attention to detail/accuracy and audience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including
strong command of MLA, Chicago and/or AP editorial style.
- Strong web writing skills including editing and organizing
content, and reworking and repurposing content.
- Demonstrated ability to develop content that is explanatory,
administrative, regulatory and advisory.
- Understanding of web best practices/standards and the key
elements of content strategy including web writing, editorial
oversight, SEO and information architecture. Knowledge of web
accessibility standards, including WCAG and Section 508.
- Strong capabilities developing and managing content in web
content management systems.
- Demonstrated experience managing Instagram, Twitter, Facebook
and other social media platforms for higher education, business,
political or other clients.
- Ability to sustain a high level of productivity and work
independently while being part of a collaborative team.
- Sound judgment, discretion and confidentiality in handling
- Flexibility in adjusting to changing demands.
- Proficiency with Google Drive, MS Office, Google. Experience
with Canva, Illustrator, and Mailchimp.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop,
InDesign and Premier, and the capacity to manage design
- Demonstrated ability to support a community of diverse
perspectives and cultures in an inclusive environment.
All candidates are asked to submit a cover letter and resume.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a criminal background
check and education verification satisfactory to Brown
All newly hired employees should be familiar with COVID-19
guidelines. For more information, please visit the Healthy Brown
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Web Producer and Content Strategist
Office of the Vice President for Research
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Position Work Location:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any
staff position at Brown University you must submit an application
form for each position for which you believe you are qualified.
Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please
include a cover letter and resume with each position
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer
, Brown University provides
equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and
retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age,
national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual
orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other
characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is
protected by our University policies.