Norfolk State University’s (NSU) invites applicants for the position of Director of the Writing Center. This is a 12-month administrative position reporting to the Associate Vice Provost for the Office of Academic Engagement. The Director will develop, promote and enhance services provided by the Writing Center, supervise peer and professional tutors and consultants, support faculty and staff needs to ensure student success and contribute to the growth of a vibrant campus-wide writing culture. Responsible for all operations of the Writing Center, the Director should be a dynamic individual with experience as a writing tutor and/or instructor and strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills. He or she must have the ability to work effectively with students of all classifications, faculty, staff, administrators and community members.The qualified candidate will have an understanding of undergraduate education, as well as the ability to work with a growing population of graduate students in such areas as business administration, early childhood and secondary education, information systems and
The incumbent responsibilities will include:
1. Oversee daily operations, including management of technology and equipment.
2. Develop, implement and promote programming and services, including workshops and programs for students and faculty.
3. Hire, train and supervise writing tutors.
4. Collaborate with professional staff in the Student Success Center and faculty in Core Writing Instructional courses, including
developing online modules and holding clinics that reinforce key writing competencies.
5. Develop and implement services that support business and professional writing practices for students, staff and faculty.
6. Develop and implement services for multilingual student writers.
7. Develop and implement assessment measures and practices.
8. Teach up to two courses per academic year or provide equivalent hours in 1:1 tutoring.
9. Perform other tasks as assigned by the Executive Director of the Student Success Center.
1. Must possess a Masters degree in English or relevant field.
2. Considerable years of experience providing 1:1 writing tutoring.
3. Considerable years of experience teaching writing at the college level.
4. Strong oral and written communication skills
5. Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
1. A background in writing pedagogy.
2. Experience using technology in the delivery of writing support services and pedagogical development.
3. Experience overseeing and mentoring student employees/peer tutors.
4. Experience working with multilingual, graduate, part-time and adult students.
5. Experience assessing effectiveness of academic support services and student learning.