Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- The design, management, delivery, and evaluation of courses within the designated content area or other content as negotiated.
- Contribution to curriculum development and evaluation.
- Recruitment of potential adjunct faculty and guest lecturers.
- Perform clinical site visits and student/preceptor evaluations.
- Provide academic counseling and advising to students.
- Participation in professional and service activities.
- Provide departmental and institutional service.
- Scholarship commensurate with the level of appointment.
- Participation in the recruitment of new students and the admissions process.
- Represent the program at local, state, national, and other meetings as directed.
- Other duties as assigned by the program director or department chair.
Time spent is the activity areas below are negotiated with individual faculty, but are generally considered to be:
- Teaching: Teaches in entry-level and post-professional programs as appropriate to area of expertise and program needs.
- Service: Serves on Department, School, and Institute Committees; participates in regional, national, or professional activities; advises students.
- Scholarship: Participates in research and scholarship activities commensurate with level of appointment.
Note: Specific responsibilities will be subject to change based on the needs of the Physician Assistant Program. Job descriptions and percentage of FTE will be reviewed and negotiated annually.
- Terminal academic degree for discipline* (e.g., master’s degree for PA, NP; MD, DO, MBBS for physician; PharmD)
- Experience in PA/medical education, clinical supervision, and/or student mentorship.
- Licensed or eligible for licensure to practice in Massachusetts**
- Minimum four years of clinical experience
- Record of scholarship and service commensurate with academic rank
- Applicants must submit their CV, cover letter, and names/contact information of 3 references.
*An earned doctorate relevant to higher education or healthcare (e.g., PhD, EdD, DrPH, DHSc, DMSc, etc.) is preferred but not required.
**National certification (e.g., NCCPA, ABMS) is preferred.
- Academic experience in Physician Assistant Education.
- Knowledge of the PA profession and medical education curricula delivery.
- Service to the PA profession or higher education.
- Excellence in technological, interpersonal, and collaborative skills.
- Effective communication with students, staff, faculty, preceptors, and administration.
- Engagement in scholarly activity.
Will work as a faculty member and assume all such responsibilities in being an active and contributing member to the department. Will need to be need to flexible with schedule, able to prioritize, able to self-monitor, able to work collaboratively with others (including in interprofessional teams), and able to track progress of multiple projects.
About MGH Institute
MGH Institute of Health Professions is a graduate school in Boston that provides entry-level and post-professional programs in Nursing, Communication Sciences and Disorders, Genetic Counseling, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, and Physician Assistant Studies. The PhD in Rehabilitation Sciences and a PhD and Master of Science in Health Professions Education have been added in recent years along with two brand new programs: Master of Health Administration in Leadership and Master of Science in Healthcare Data Analytics to meet rising demand for highly educated health care professionals, educators, and researchers. Integrating classroom learning with research and clinical experience, the Institute grants doctoral degrees, master's degrees, awards certificates of advanced study, and offers continuing education to practicing professionals.
MGH Institute of Health Professions is the only degree-granting affiliate in Mass General Brigham (MGB), the largest private employer in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The Institute has been recognized multiple times by The Chronicle of Higher Education as a “Great College to Work For.” A leading health sciences educational institution, MGH Institute provides students with outstanding academic programs, many of which are ranked among the best in the nation.
MGH Institute of Health Professions has announced an organization-wide anti-racism initiative to think boldly about race and bring together all members of the Institute community to address systemic racial injustice as well as oppression more broadly. The plan seeks to create a supportive and inclusive campus environment and better support the diverse communities the school serves. We are excited about this new initiative and are hiring employees who are committed to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion and will contribute to our anti-racism and anti-oppression approach.
The MGH Institute of Health Professions is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We welcome nominations and applications from individuals who would bring diversity of experience, thought and practice to the Institute’s research, teaching and clinical missions. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.