The Assistant Athletic Coach I, Softball assists with all
activities related to the softball program including recruitment,
player development, monitoring academic performance, discipline,
and social development.
Florida Gulf Coast University is committed to establishing and
maintaining an inclusive working and learning environment in which
students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social
activities, governance, and all other aspects of the campus life
reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international
At FGCU, we collectively stand against any individual or group that
practices any form of racism, discrimination, intolerance, hate
expressions, or disrespect. We are committed to preparing students
to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently
diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic
and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, abilities, ages, gender
identities, sexual orientations, socio-economic status, cultural
traditions, family statuses, and military backgrounds. FGCU strives
to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just
because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our
University stronger. The University community recognizes the
importance of a diverse and inclusive institution and holds these
ideals as paramount for the current and future success of the
We seek colleagues who promote and embrace diversity, equity, and
inclusion. We encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to
apply for this position as we believe that our University will grow
and move forward through a commitment of equality for all.
Typical duties include but are not limited to:
- Assists with the recruitment and retention of
- Prepares and conducts practice sessions. Teaches individual and
group game skills and techniques.
- Assists with game strategy and position assignments.
- Coordinates team travel arrangements and logistics.
- Monitors academic progress and status of team members,
implementing action plans when needed.
- Monitors and maintains discipline and conduct of athletes to
support the image and reputation of the athletics program.
- Promotes the athletic program through community events, public
speaking, fundraising, and marketing.
- Complies with all University, ASUN or CCSA (Coastal Collegiate
Sports Association) regulations, as well as all NCAA rules and
regulations. Remains current with all changes in NCAA, as well as
changes to University, ASUN and CCSA rules and regulations
regarding intercollegiate athletics. This includes the requirement
for self-reporting any possible rule violations and participation
in the annual NCAA continuing education programs including passing
the NCAA certification test, if applicable. Any violation of NCAA
rules is prohibited and may result in disciplinary action up to and
including termination of employment.
Additional Job Description
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
- Travels throughout the country and internationally as
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Current American Red Cross CPR/AED certification or the ability
to obtain within three months of employment.
- Valid driver’s license and the ability to travel throughout the
- Experience operating a personal computer and proficient in
Microsoft office (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience,
and/or certifications may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution in an
appropriate area of specialization.
- One year of full-time professional coaching experience in a
National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I
- Knowledge of all aspects of the sport and the ability to
teach/coach collegiate student-athletes toward acquisition of those
- Knowledge of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)
rules and regulations and a strong commitment to maintain
compliance with those rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of intercollegiate recruiting practices and an
ability to identify athletic and academic talent.
- Knowledge of student-athlete intellectual, emotional and social
development and an ability to guide athletes toward successful
completion of an undergraduate degree while participating in
- Knowledge of and ability to administer first aid and
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to use independent
judgment and remain flexible while prioritizing tasks.
- Ability to thrive in an organization that values the diversity
of its student body and workforce and actively promotes equity and
- Ability to interact and represent FGCU professionally with a
diverse constituency of students, faculty, alumni, and media.
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing student needs and maintain
consistent communication with supervisors and support staff in
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion at all
- Ability to work evenings, nights, weekends as necessary.
FGCU is an EOE AA /F/Vet/Disability Employer.