Director of Tax Compliance
Controllers Office - 415100
Description of University
Appalachian State University, in North Carolina’s Blue Ridge
Mountains, prepares students to lead purposeful lives as global
citizens who understand and engage their responsibilities in
creating a sustainable future for all. The transformational
Appalachian experience promotes a spirit of inclusion that brings
people together in inspiring ways to acquire and create knowledge,
to grow holistically, to act with passion and determination, and
embrace diversity and difference. As one of 17 campuses in the
University of North Carolina system, Appalachian enrolls more than
20,000 students, has a low student-to-faculty ratio and offers more
than 150 undergraduate and graduate majors.
Graduation from a four-year college or university with a degree in
Accounting, Business, Finance or other degree closely related to
the area of assignment with twelve hours of accounting and four
years of progressive accounting experience two of which must have
been supervisory in nature. All degrees must be received from
appropriately accredited institutions.
Ability to conduct tax research and convey complex information to
key stakeholders both internal and external to the University in a
clear, concise and organized manner.
Proficient in business applications such as Microsoft Office and
Strong organization skills are required to effectively manage
complex tax programs and a significant number of deadlines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Payroll Tax Payments and Filings
Multi-State Payroll Tax Program
- Review and approve federal and state payroll tax payments to
make sure the taxes are paid on time and accurately.
- File federal and state original payroll tax returns and amend
them as necessary.
- Reconcile payroll tax receivable accounts on a monthly
- Balance W-2 to 941 and state filings on a monthly basis. Clean
up any errors discovered during the reconciliation process.
- Process all necessary adjustments in the system related to W-2
- Collaborate with the Payroll Director to ensure all federal and
state W-2 filing requirements are met.
- Monitor the payroll overpayments reconciliation to ensure the
accuracy of W-2 reporting.
- Assist Payroll, campus departments and employees with their
payroll tax questions.
- Stay up to date with the filing requirements for both federal
and all the states in which the University is registered.
- Balance FICA on a monthly basis.
- Identify the employees who may be working outside of the state
and determine tax implications in those states.
- Register, withholding, file and pay taxes including but not
limited to state payroll withholding and unemployment taxes in
- Build the deduction codes in Banner for those states and update
employees’ tax deduction codes when applicable.
Supervision and Administration
- Build, update and maintain tax codes that are not maintained by
the ERP provider.
- Ensure that the tax updates received from Ellucian are loaded
and are working properly.
- Collaborate with Payroll to perform periodic review (at least
once a year) of the earn codes and deduction codes to make sure
they function properly and up to date.
- Serve as the backup for building, testing and maintaining earn
codes and deduction codes for the Payroll Office.
- Supervise Tax Accountants and provide technical support for
complex tax issues.
- Manage resources effectively to provide for employee training
and growth and to meet the operational goals and objectives.
- Monitor the quality of work and address performance issues for
- Build the cross training program and ensure the business
continuity in the event of key staff absences or unexpected
Suggested Salary Range
- Research and update the tax accounting procedures to minimize
the risk of noncompliance.
- Lead the efforts of developing new programs to ensure the
compliance with the introduction of new tax laws.
- Other duties as assigned.
Physical Demands of Position
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Cover Letter
- List of References with contact information
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in
access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect
to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis
of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and
expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status,
genetic information or sexual orientation.
Associate Vice Chancellor of Human Resources
Office of Human Resources
330 University Hall Dr.
Boone, NC 28608
Executive Director of Access & Equity ( ADA /504 Coordinator,
EEO /AA Officer, & Title IX Coordinator)
Office of Access & Equity
123 IG Greer Hall
Boone, NC 28608
Diversity and Inclusion at Appalachian
We at Appalachian State University are committed to diversity,
equity, and inclusive excellence both locally and globally.
We understand that the successful implementation of diversity,
equity, and inclusive excellence is the responsibility of the
entire university community, including alumni and official
university governing bodies. A diverse campus community supports an
influx of broad and distinct ideas that increase learning
opportunities and strengthen the impact of our community as we work
collectively to achieve a just experience for all.
We actively encourage, support, and promote a global mindset and an
equitable environment where all will know that they belong and are
safe to express their culture, identity, values, ideas, opinions,
and creativity. We are committed to creating a culture of equity
opportunity for all, one that has an expectation of fairness,
justice, and equity-minded practice at all levels of the university