Classification and Compensation Analyst (Confidential
Administrative Support II), Classification and Compensation -
California State University, San Bernardino
Confidential, Temporary, Full Time, Human
Resources Job Summary:
Under general direction of the Manager, Classification &
Compensation in Collaboration with the Director, Talent Acquisition
(Classification & Compensation), the Classification &
Compensation Analyst is responsible for researching and determining
the appropriate classifications for position descriptions and
compensation studies; working with the department administrators
(MPP), assisting in developing position descriptions; researching
and advising management on compensation issues/discrepancies.
Assist in monitoring the campus' adherence to CSU and CSUSB
compensation policies and directives. Maintains processes for
ensuring compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and
regulations, university directives and collective bargaining
agreements. Performs general clerical/administrative duties.
Major duties and responsibilities:
Minimum Qualifications: Required Education and
- Processes requests for submission regarding In-Range
Progressions (IRP), Reclassifications, Bonuses and Stipends within
a specified timeline per the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Reviews jobs for strategic management reorganizations and
projects. Reviews positions to ensure appropriate
- Based on position-specific information, determines if an
existing description can be used for the classification.
- Reviews employees' request for classification review and makes
- This includes reviewing job descriptions, conferring with
managers and employees, evaluating jobs, and preparing written
reports on findings.
- Communicates with stakeholders regarding the result of
- Writes position descriptions and maintains a database of all
- Review position descriptions received from departments to
ensure they are written accurately within the appropriate
- Utilize job analysis techniques, internal and external equity
analyses, market, and salary surveys to determine the target hiring
salaries for staff and management positions.
- Conduct large-scale market studies to create cost-effective
solutions and present proposals to department management as
- Review salary surveys and other market data to determine
internal and external competitiveness.
- Research situations as they arise related to aspects of
compensation to provide clarity for resolution in consideration of
CBA provisions, historical practices, similar situations, etc.
- Assists with compensation studies for new MPP positions and
- Analyze and address problems using reasoning and the
interpretation and application of theories and principles to
develop and recommend alternatives and the best courses of
- Conduct internal and external equity analysis and comparisons.
Assists with compensation studies for new MPP positions and
- Utilize Cherwell software application to secure HR requisitions
to process various requests.
- Research and apply resources including PIMS Manual
(Personnel/Payroll Information Management System), Collective
Bargaining Agreements, Technical Letters and other supporting
documents to perform PeopleSoft data entries on various types of HR
- Analyze and process various types of employee related data
changes into PeopleSoft from staff transaction forms, reassignment
letters, appointment memos, etc. including reclassification and
in-class progressions; prepare letters and other related
correspondence for review and signature.
- Monitor expiration dates for employees in temporary employment
types, process, and update PeopleSoft, and send STF forms to
Payroll for processing.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Equivalent to a bachelor's degree in business administration,
human resources, public
administration, or related field.
- A minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible
administrative work experience
Compensation and Benefits:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail and excellent research and analysis
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to utilize
discretion and keep information confidential.
- Ability to apply provisions of the collective bargaining
agreement to work tasks.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- General knowledge and skills in the applicable administrative
and/or program field with a foundational knowledge of public
administration principles, practices, and methods.
- Working knowledge of general practices, programs, and/or
- Basic knowledge of and ability to apply fundamental
- Working knowledge of budget policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of basic methods and procedures for research and
statistical analysis and the ability to apply them.
- Ability to analyze data and make accurate projections using
business mathematics and basic statistical techniques.
- Ability to organize and plan work and projects, including
handling multiple priorities.
- Ability to compile, write, and present reports related to
program or administrative specialty.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective
working relationships within and outside the workgroup and serve as
a liaison for the organizational unit.
- Must be customer-service-focused and able to interact
effectively and professionally with all levels of employees and
managers in a team-based environment.
Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,464 -$5,672 per month
Classification Salary Range: $4,464 -$10,180 per month
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that
includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the
California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and
vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are
also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A
summary of benefit information can be found
California State University, San Bernardino in not a sponsoring
agency for staff or management positions (i.e. H1-B Visas).
Work status: Full-time/Exempt/Temporary (up to one year with the
possibility of further renewal)/Emergency Hire (up to 120 days or
Schedule: Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, weekends
and evenings may be required.
The application deadline is: June 20, 2023
Conditions of Employment
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal
records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a
conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the
background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is
discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified
information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background
check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee
who was conditionally offered the position.
CSUSB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the
United States. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired
will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the
United States and to complete the required employment eligibility
verification form upon hire. See Form I-9 Acceptable Documents at
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who physically access
campus facilities or programs to be fully vaccinated against
COVID-19, which includes obtaining a COVID-19 booster dose, or
declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any
candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be
prepared to comply with this requirement. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/11030468/latest
Statement of Commitment to Diversity
In our commitment to the furthering of knowledge and fulfilling our
educational mission, California State University, San Bernardino
seeks a campus climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes
respect for the entire variety of human experience. We welcome
people from all backgrounds, and we seek to include knowledge and
values from many cultures in the curriculum and extra-curricular
life of the campus community. We will create, promote, and maintain
activities and programs that further our understanding of
individual and group diversity. We will also develop and
communicate policies and promote values that discourage intolerance
California State University, San Bernardino is proud to be an
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We recruit, hire,
train, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race,
ethnicity, religion, color, caste, national origin, ancestry, age,
sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual
orientation, socioeconomic status, genetic information, medical
condition, disability, marital status, protected military or
veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination,
Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic
Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion
of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming
employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order
1096) For more information about Diversity & Inclusion at
CSUSB, please visit https://www.csusb.edu/human-resources/diversity-inclusion
We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees
with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or
requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the
application or hiring process should contact the Office of Employee
and Labor Relations by phone at (909) 537-5138 or by email at
CSUSB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/6591951/latest/
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus
security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of
Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California
Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity
Act (HEOA), the Cal State San Bernardino Annual Security and Fire
Safety Report is available at: https://www.csusb.edu/clery-act
To view full description and to apply, visit: https://www.csusb.edu