Non-Tenure Track Assistant Professor of Music
Director of Choral Music Education
Creative Arts Division
Recruitment #: F2301
Review Date: Immediate review | Open until filled
Department: Music/Creative Arts/LAS
Salary Rate: $40,000/$45,000 to $45,000/50,000
The Creative Arts Division at Western Oregon University invites applications for a full-time Non-Tenure Track Visiting Assistant Professor in Choral Music Education to join the Music Department Faculty. The successful candidate will organize and direct a comprehensive university choral and music education program that includes teaching courses in music education, choral conducting, choral literature, conducting lessons, pedagogy, and direct two ensembles: Concert Choir and Chamber Singers. This faculty member will also serve as liaison between the department and College of Education for Music Education student teacher placements, and coordinate observation placements for pre-student teaching students. Other coursework and coordination will be based on the needs of the department and candidate's qualifications and experience.
● Master of Music (MM) required for appointment as Instructor; Doctorate preferred and required for rank of Visiting Assistant Professor; Demonstrated record of accomplishment as a musician and educator. The successful candidate will:
● be a music educator with a minimum of 3 years of experience teaching music in a K-12 setting.
● be an active choral conductor with experience working a diverse repertoire of music, styles, and genres including popular and traditional concert-music styles;
● be able to teach music students at all levels of choral, vocal, and conducting performance;
● have teaching and choral conducting experience at the high school and/or college level(s);
● have an aptitude for organizational effectiveness;
● have effective written and verbal communication skills and a strong collaborator;
● provide support of music teacher preparation programs;
● demonstrate a commitment to student success, recruitment, and diversity, equity, and inclusion;
● have a deep and comprehensive understanding of the field from historical, aesthetic and practical realms.
Other desirable attributes include the ability to create musical arrangements commensurate with ensemble skill
levels, experience in coordinating student teaching and observation placements, and supervision of student
Start Date: September 16, 2023
Contact Information: Questions regarding this position may be directed to Dr. Kevin Walczyk, Search Committee Chair, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 503-838-8274
For questions regarding the application process or to submit your application documents, please contact Human Resources at 503-838-8552 or email@example.com.
Application Process: You may submit all materials online at www.wou.edu/facultyapp
Required Application materials: You may submit all materials online at www.wou.edu/prostaffapp
1. WOU Employment Application form available at https://wou.edu/hr/employment/employment-application-form-faculty-unclassified-professional-positions/ - unclassified/faculty
2. Letter of interest that addresses each qualification of the position. Please include how your experience, education, and/or training might help us build a more inclusive, collaborative, and diverse community;
3. Statement of teaching philosophy;
4. Current curriculum vita;
5. Digital audio/video samples delivered via web links of both a representative rehearsal and performance that provide evidence of conducting, musical excellence and diversity of styles working with a choral ensemble. Recordings should be from work within the past 3 years.
6. DEI Statement: Review the Board Statement on Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility (found at https://wou.edu/board/files/2021/05/Board-Statement-on-Diversity-Inclusion-Equity-and-Accessibility-042121.pdf) and respond to the following Diversity questions (found at https://wou.edu/hr/files/2021/11/DEI-Statement-Requirements.pdf)
Women, Black, Indigenous and People of Color, veterans, people who identify as LGBTQ+, and people with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply for this position, even if they do not meet qualifications exactly as listed. We are most interested in finding the best person to fulfill this role within our university community, and that candidate may be someone with transferable skills and experience rather than exact qualifications.
Additional Application information:
Contact information for three professional references will be requested from finalists.
Western Oregon University only considers visa support for Tenure Track employees placed in specialized positions that are continuing regular university appointments for multiple years.
A criminal background check will be completed as a condition of employment. Education checks are processed for positions requiring a formal degree as a minimum requirement.
Employee COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement:
All WOU students and employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. All newly hired employees must meet the vaccination requirement or file an exemption prior to their first day of employment.
Benefits: Western Oregon University offers an excellent benefits package for eligible employees which includes 95% premium paid healthcare, a generous retirement and vacation package, and reduced tuition rates for employee, spouse or dependent at any of the Oregon Public Universities. http://www.wou.edu/hr/benefits/
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Western Oregon University is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace. We celebrate our inclusive work environment and encourage people of all backgrounds and perspectives to apply. We embrace our differences, and know that our diverse team is a strength that drives our success.
Western Oregon University is committed to developing a barrier-free recruitment process and work environment. If you require any accommodations, please email us at employment[at]wou.edu and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Veterans Preference: Applicants are eligible to use Veterans' Preference when applying with Western Oregon University in accordance with ORS 408.225, 408.230 and 408.235; and OAR 105-040-0010 and 105-040-0015. Preference will be given only if the applicant meets the minimum criteria of the position and electronically attach the required documentation at the time of application. For information regarding Veterans' Preference qualifications, visit http://www.oregonjobs.org/DAS/STJOBS/vetpoints.shtmlq
Please note that due to the volume of resumes received, we are unable to contact each applicant regarding the status of each position or reply to candidates' inquiries via phone or email.