At Unity Environmental University we are on a mission to make
environmental education accessible and affordable to all. Our
unique model combines a functional hierarchy and project-based
structure through our four Sustainable Education Business Units
(SEBUs) to promote collaboration and innovation (Distance
Education, Sustainable Ventures, Hybrid Learning and the Technical
Institute for Environmental Professions). We prioritize our
students' needs above all else, offering a variety of modalities,
including hybrid, in-person, hyflex, and online. Our innovative and
inclusive culture prepares students to tackle real-world challenges
and cultivate the next generation of environmental professionals
and leaders who can make a positive impact on our world.
We are dedicated to delivering quality education and experiences
that produce outstanding environmentally competent professionals
and inspire individuals from all walks of life to steward
The Financial Aid Specialist (FAS) supports the Assistant Director
Financial Aid through the administration and dissemination of
Financial Aid policies and procedures for Unity Environmental
University students. This is a generalist position that will
support all growing Sustainable Education Business Units (SEBUs) .
. This position is responsible for working directly with Unity
Environmental students to support them in managing their financial
needs and requirements. The FAS will manage and use student
financial aid programs and financial aid information systems, as
well as report and retrieve information for program management and
reports. Work will involve using Financial Aid Management Systems,
Student Billing Software, and the Student Information System.
Day to day responsibilities:
Do you have the skills?
- Monitor program compliance with federal, state, and
institutional policies through the use of system and quality
- Conduct student aid reviews including needs analysis,
budgeting, billing, packaging, verification, loan processing,
certification, and tracking.
- Counsel students individually or in groups on financial aid and
student account matters such as application procedures, borrowing,
employment, outside aid, other funding, payment plans and
- Assist in adjusting financial aid awards.
- Answer in-coming phone calls and emails received in thegeneral
financial aidemail box.
- Support with the communication to students and/or parents
regarding the student billing process and payment options.
- Provide support and clarification to the decentralized
Recruitment and Student Success teams on relaying Financial Aid
updates to admitted and current students.
- Coordinate the mailing of lender notifications-entrance and
exit counseling, bills, and award letters.
- Assist in the creation, revision, and updating of publications,
standardized letters, manuals, and forms used in student aid
- Review and maintain student files
- Support with the soft collect outreach to students to assist
with completing paperwork and payment options.
- Coordinate the integration of student financial aid processes
for all SEBUs.
- Perform outreach activities as assigned by the Assistant
Director of Financial Aid.
- Attend required trainings to learn and maintain required skills
to perform all duties for Financial Aid.
- Assist in supervision of work study students. Carries out
supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the institutions
policies and applicable laws.
- Support the billing holds process
- Pro-actively communicate challenges, successes, and failures
- Other duties as assigned.
Are you contemplating the job but uncertain if you should
apply? We encourage you to reach out to us regardless. At our
company, we acknowledge that not everyone begins their professional
journey with equal advantages, opportunities, or privileges.
Therefore, we value your unique skills and experiences. Take a
chance and submit your application; you may be precisely the
individual we're searching for!
Location: Pineland Farms, New Gloucester, Maine
- Bachelors degree and a minimum of 1 - 2 years job related
experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education
- Basic knowledge of federal and state financial aid programs and
a demonstrated commitment to student aid.
- Basic knowledge of accounting and billing services.
- Must be capable of independent judgement, highly motivated with
strong organizational skills.
- Must be flexible with good interpersonal skills.
- Able to read, analyze and interpret general business
periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or
- Able to write reports, business correspondence, and procedures
- Able to effectively present information and respond to
questions from students, parents, staff, managers, and the general
- Able to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and
statistical inference. Able to apply concepts such as fractions,
percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Extensive knowledge of computerized data base systems, word
processing and spreadsheets.
- Able to define problems, collect data establish facts, and draw
valid conclusions. Able to interpret an extensive variety of
technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal
with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational
structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being
discreet, courteous and well poised.
Just a half hour from Portland, Unity Environmental University
Headquarters, Unity Environmental University Distance Education,
The Technical School for Environmental Professions, and the School
of Environmental Business & Sustainable Ventures are based at
the Pineland Farms campus. The facilities are within easy access to
one of the fastest-growing cities for startups in the
Work hours are specific to the requirements of this position and
can include days, evenings, weekends. Working extended hours may be
required as needed and Unity Environmental University employees
must be flexible and cooperative in fulfilling their
responsibilities while meeting the University’s needs.
Although at Unity Environmental University Enterprise employees are
generally scheduled to work at their base location, there are times
when travel is necessary and employees are required from time to
time to attend events, meetings or work temporary assignment at any
Unity Environmental University location.
While performing the duties of this job, it is regularly required
to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to
stand or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up
to 20 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception,
and the ability to adjust focus. The use of either hand for
repetitive movements such as grasping, grasping, and turning, and
fine manipulation is required as is the ability to use the
telephone for internal and external communications.
Unity Environmental University offers a comprehensive and
competitive compensation and benefits package for its faculty and
staff. Benefits for eligible employees include:
- Paid holidays off
- 4 weeks of PTO
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Short- and Long-term disability
- Life Insurance
- Flexible work benefit - ability to work from home
- Retirement Plan with up to 8% match
- Relocation Assistance