Framingham, MA Category:
Thu Apr 13 2023 Job Description:
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The Administrative Assistant to the Chairs and faculty of the
Department of Education and the Department of History is supervised
and evaluated by the Education Department Chair; the History
Department Chair; and the Dean of the College of Education and
Social & Behavioral Sciences. The successful candidate must
enjoy working with more than two dozen diverse faculty in a very
busy atmosphere. The successful candidate must possess excellent
verbal and written communication skills and must pay attention to
detail. The successful candidate must be able to multi-task and to
respond effectively and efficiently to many requests for
assistance. The successful candidate will also interact with
students, other University staff and administrators, along with
For complete class specifications, please click here.
EXAMPLES OF SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as the administrative assistant to the Chairs of the
Department of Education and the Department of History.
- Manage extensive files related to the departments, services,
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality associated with the
sensitive nature of duties and responsibilities of the Department
Chairs. Has access and exposure to confidential information such as
personnel actions, student evaluations, Chairs' and Peer Evaluation
- Assist Department Chairs with annual personnel actions for
- Coordinate and schedule Chairs' classroom observations of
full-time faculty and visiting lecturers, including creating and
maintaining an Excel spreadsheet to track when visiting lecturers
have to be observed.
- Assist Chairs with academic scheduling for upcoming academic
year, including gathering schedule requests from faculty, preparing
Excel spreadsheet, and preparing reports for Chairs' scheduling
- Manage the budget by tracking expenditures in Excel
- Manage web content for the Departments of Education and
- Support Search Committees with the hiring process for full-time
day division faculty.
- Assist the Department Chairs and faculty with events, such as
induction and awards ceremonies and field trips. This may entail
reserving rooms, reserving buses, purchasing tickets, and placing
- Purchase office supplies and academic and teaching supplies
- Manage and assist with distribution and collection of student
- Prepare and manage contracts/hiring paperwork for
- Process travel paperwork for faculty, including creating
encumbrances in Banner.
- Responsible for attendance for faculty and work-study
- Provide onboarding assistance for new faculty, such as,
submitting online request forms to IT and Telecommunications
relating to office moves, laptop and phone assignments, removal of
outdated computer and office equipment.
- Maintain office equipment, such as copiers and printers, and
schedule repairs as needed.
- Photocopy for faculty as needed.
- Interview, hire, and supervise work-study students.
- Create and maintain faculty mailboxes, update faculty
directory, and distribute mail and packages.
- Provide administrative support to the Field Placement Office,
the Centers for Early Childhood Education, the Chris Walsh Center,
and the data manager in the Department of Education.
- Perform other duties and special projects as needed.
Applicants must have at least (A) three years of full-time, or
equivalent part-time, experience in office management, office
administration, business administration or business management, the
major duties of which include one or more of the following
functions: purchasing, personnel management, budgeting, accounting,
records management, work simplification, grants management,
contract administration or program management, or (B) any
equivalent combination of the required experience and the
- An Associate's degree or higher with a major in business
administration, business management, or public administration may
be substituted for a maximum of two years of the required
- An Associate's degree or higher with a major other than
business administration, business management, or public
administration may be substituted for a maximum of one year of the
*Education toward such a degree will be prorated on the basis of
the proportion of the requirements actually completed.
Candidates who are bilingual in English and Spanish or English
and Portuguese are strongly encouraged to apply.
This is a full-time, non-exempt, benefits-eligible position in
the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees
(AFSCME) bargaining unit with a title of Administrative Assistant
II. The bi-weekly pay rate is The bi-weekly pay rate is $2,034.87
(grade 17, step 1).
It is the policy of Framingham State University that all
employees be vaccinated against COVID-19 before they begin
employment. Proof of the COVID-19 vaccine is required of all
individuals hired by FSU, to be verified after a verbal offer of
employment has been accepted, and before employment begins.
Prospective employees may submit a request for a medical or
religious exemption to the COVID-19 vaccination requirement to
Framingham State University conducts criminal history and sexual
offender record checks on recommended finalists prior to final
employment for all positions.
Framingham State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative
Members of underrepresented groups, minorities, women, veterans,
persons with disabilities, and all persons committed to diversity
and inclusive excellence are strongly encouraged to apply.