DIRECTOR - HUMAN RESOURCES
MALCOLM X COLLEGE
Malcolm X College is seeking a Director for the Human Resources
department. Each college’s Office of Human Resources (HR), working
in collaboration with District’s HR Department, is responsible for
executing HR strategy and administering HR programs and operational
HR functions, providing an innovative, efficient, and collaborative
HR organization that recognizes the diversity of CCC’s college
community, enhances organizational effectiveness, and ensures the
hiring, retention and development of a highly qualified and diverse
workforce. Reporting to a college President, and serving as a
senior leader in the President’s executive team, the Director-Human
Resources leads and manages human resources (HR) functions for the
college, overseeing the college’s daily HR operations while
effectively integrating HR expertise into the college’s business
process. The Director-Human Resources takes a mission-oriented
approach with a focus on building organizational and HR
capabilities; influencing organizational changes in alignment with
the college’s strategic goals; and working collaboratively with
district’s HR staff in administering human resources programs,
policies, and procedures in support of the college’s mission and
vision, as well as the district’s long-term strategic goals.
The Director-Human Resources is a highly visible position that
serves as an advisor to college leadership and managers on matters
of HR policy and practices; implements and interprets strategies
into actions to deliver sustainable solutions to support a growing
and changing environment; ensures the college’s HR operations and
practices are in alignment with CCC’s HR policies and procedures
and in compliance with CCC’s collective bargaining agreements and
all applicable federal, state and local labor laws; supervises
campus HR staff and is responsible for managing and providing HR
services to employees and managers in coordination with District HR
in all functional areas of HR. Performs related duties as
The Office of Human Resources and Staff Development is committed to
providing value-added services and programs to City Colleges'
faculty and staff to support its goals and objectives. We utilize
structure, process and technology to deliver a strategic
professional services organization to support City Colleges'
- Develops, coordinates and delivers effective HR programs and
services to campus employees in the areas of onboarding, learning
and organizational development, workforce planning, performance
management and professional development, policy and procedure
implementation, and labor and employee relations.
- Collaborates with District Office leadership team
(Compensation, Benefits, Talent Acquisition, Performance
Management, Labor Relations, Employee Services and HRIS) and
oversees strategic initiatives connected to the college to ensure
cohesive delivery of HR services.
- Contributes to the development of organizational goals
regarding the creation, implementation, measures, and outcomes of
college plans which may include Strategic Enrollment Management
(SEM), Equity, and Strategic plans.
- Provides consultative services to college leadership and
managers relating to workforce issues that impact campus
operations, working with district HR staff to provide strategic
guidance, technical expertise and deliver effective HR
- Develops and implements HR processes and procedures critical to
efficient and effective operations. Executes and evaluates
processes and procedures in compliance with institutional,
organizational, and Higher Learning Commission (HLC) and other
- Works collaboratively with college administrators and senior
managers in planning and preparing the college’s annual operating
budget. Participates in management meetings relating to workforce
planning, department re-structuring, and resource allocation.
Assists in packaging and submission of final operating budget to
- Supervises HR Specialist and support staff engaged in
implementing HR programs, delivering HR services and processing HR
- Executes recruitment and talent management strategies to
attract, develop, engage, and retain a diverse, skilled, and
- Administers employee recognition and related initiatives to
improve workplace culture, employee satisfaction, and engagement
- Provides tactical and strategic guidance to managers and
supervisors on best practices for addressing employee relations
matters including handling disciplinary actions, terminations,
union grievances, progressive discipline, and conflict resolution
and various other issues pertaining to employee management,
adherence to collective bargaining agreements and Board policies,
federal and state employment laws and regulations.
- Creates action plans to foster an environment that leverages
diversity and incorporates best practices for collaboration and
inclusion. Proactively considers workforce trends, employee data,
and institutional needs.
- Executes HR processes and procedures such as faculty lane
advances, reclassifications, new positions, and other personnel
- Facilitates and maintains performance management programs,
providing coaching and guidance to managers, reviewing completed
appraisals, and working with managers on creating and implementing
performance improvement plans
- Responds to data requests from ICCB, HLC, college leadership,
and external organizations.
- Leads and manages HR projects.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or
university in Human Resources, Business Administration, or a
- Master’s degree strongly preferred.
- PHR/SPHR or SHRM-CP/SCP preferred.
- Five years of work experience as an HR Generalist and/or HR
Manager in a fast-paced high-volume work environment.
- Demonstrated progressively responsible leadership, supervisory,
and management roles in human resources.
- Experience working in a highly unionized environment is
- Experience in developing and implementing HR strategies as well
as large-scale, complex HR initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and build
strong partnerships with senior leaders.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and providing leadership
in meeting the HR objectives of the organization.
- Knowledge of federal and state employment and labor laws and
- Ability to prioritize workload, multi-task, and work under
pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to independently establish direction in one’s work
without requiring close supervision.
- Ability to work well in a culturally diverse environment and
with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to handle all situations with diplomacy, tact, and the
highest level of confidentiality.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft, Taleo, and other HRMS or ATS, a
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel,
Malcolm X College is a Promising Places to Work in Community
Colleges award winner! The award is given by the National Institute
for Staff and Organizational Development (NISOD), a membership
organization committed to promoting and celebrating excellence in
teaching and leadership at community and technical colleges, and
Diverse: Issues in Higher Education, a leading academic
MXC was recognized for its best-in-class student and staff
recruitment and retention practices, inclusive learning and working
environments, and meaningful community service and engagement
WE OFFER: Excellent health benefits at a low cost; Investment plans
403(b) & 457(b); SURS Retirement Plan; Generous vacation,
holidays, personal and sick days; Tuition Reimbursement and Public
Service Loan Forgiveness. For a more detailed overview of benefits
please visit our benefits page.
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within
6 months of hire.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of