At Unity Environmental University we are on a mission to make
environmental education accessible and affordable to all. Our
unique model combines a functional hierarchy and project-based
structure through our four Sustainable Education Business Units
(SEBUs) to promote collaboration and innovation (Distance
Education, Sustainable Ventures, Hybrid Learning and the Technical
Institute for Environmental Professions). We prioritize our
students' needs above all else, offering a variety of modalities,
including hybrid, in-person, hyflex, and online. Our innovative and
inclusive culture prepares students to tackle real-world challenges
and cultivate the next generation of environmental professionals
and leaders who can make a positive impact on our world.
We are dedicated to delivering quality education and experiences
that produce outstanding environmentally competent professionals
and inspire individuals from all walks of life to steward
About Hybrid Learning:
Hybrid Learning is committed to providing location and modality
agnostic educational opportunities to a diverse range of students.
Our target audience includes those who may not have access to
traditional, residential college experiences due to financial
constraints, particularly those with lower estimated family
contributions. Our SEBU supports students who value flexibility and
affordability, while also seeking immersive residential and
learning experiences that align with their career goals. At Unity
Environmental University: Hybrid Learning, our courses combine
synchronous, face-to-face experiences with innovative online
learning to create a personalized, dynamic educational experience.
Our goal is to help students achieve their desired outcomes and
secure a four-year degree that directly aligns with their chosen
The Merchandising Specialist
is a revenue generating
position which manages the total retail operations of Unity
Environmental University, including but not limited to the 90
Quaker Hill Campus, McKay Farm, Sky Lodge, Pineland Farms, and
ecommerce. This involves procurement, merchandising, distribution,
and selling of eco-concise and sustainable branded Unity
Environmental University merchandise. The Merchandising Specialist
gathers data regarding product demands from a variety of Unity
Environmental University sources to determine order needs. Within
the framework of functional leadership, the Merchandising
Specialist supports and is supported by other members of the
Environmental Business and Sustainable Ventures team while working
with all constituencies to realize the Unity Environmental
University Mission and Strategic Plan.
Day to day responsibilities:
Do you have the skills?
- Manages the financials of all retail operations to meet or
exceed expected returns.
- Executes revenue-generating initiatives and assists in
developing, recommending, implementing, and maintaining the annual
- Manages the point-of-sale system (POS), trains staff at all
locations, and ensures accountability regarding the POS system and
- Manages the ecommerce site and maintains social media and all
- Sources eco-conscious and sustainable merchandise to align with
brand standards for all locations.
- Oversee the processing of daily incoming and outbound
merchandise requests and shipments.
- Solicits information on retail needs from all stakeholders
including employees and students.
- Gathers data on sales to forecast future replenishment
- Prepares daily deposits. Maintains daily, weekly, and monthly
- Maintains clean and organized locations in Unity, Thorndike,
Moose River, and New Gloucester, ME that promotes effective visual
- Recruits, trains, and supervises staff and students as
- Conduct quarterly self-audits, cycle counts, incident
reporting, and monthly inventory reconciliations to ensure annual
inventory shrinkage is to a minimum.
- Coordinates vendor relationships for commencement regalia and
other commencement related needs.
- Maintains confidentiality of stakeholders, proprietary
information, and protects company assets.
- Embodies a passion for the environment and creating a
- Pro-actively communicate challenges, successes, and failures
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors Degree.
- 1 - 3years hospitality or retail experience.
- 1 - 3years retail buying or cost accounting experience.
- An entrepreneurial mindset and revenue-focused attitude.
- Strong business acumen.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and business
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to
questions from students, staff, faculty, customers, and the
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules,
safety data sheets, operating and maintenance instructions, and
- Establish and maintain vendor relationships with the ability to
negotiate competitive rates to decrease expenses.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks & projects with superb
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of
concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization
- Ability to look for, suggest, and implement improved
- Implements a hands-on approach to effectively manage the
quality of daily operations.
- Ability to work as part of a team or independently as
- Must possess a positive attitude.
- Must be willing to participate in a learning environment.
- Must integrate Unity Environmental University values throughout
- Ensures compliance with established Unity Environmental
University policies & procedures.
- Strong knowledge of MS Office, including Word, Excel,
PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Ability to manage a POS system with a strong knowledge of
- Ability to maintain an ecommerce website along with relevant
social media integration.
- Valid drivers license with good driving record.
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational
structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being
discreet, courteous, and well poised.
Are you contemplating the job but uncertain if you should
apply? We encourage you to reach out to us regardless. At our
company, we acknowledge that not everyone begins their professional
journey with equal advantages, opportunities, or privileges.
Therefore, we value your unique skills and experiences. Take a
chance and submit your application; you may be precisely the
individual we're searching for!
- Bachelors Degree in business, management, retail, or fashion
- 3+ years of retail management experience.
- 3+ years of retail buying experience.
Work hours are specific to the requirements of this position and
can include days,early mornings,evenings, and weekends. Working
extended hours required as needed.On-call hours may also be
required.Must be flexible and cooperative in fulfilling
responsibilities and meeting theInstitution’s needs. Although Unity
Environmental University employees are generally scheduled to work
at their specifically assigned locations, there are times when
travel is necessary and employees are required from time to time to
attend events, meetings or work temporary assignment at any Unity
Environmental University location.
While performing the duties of this job, it is regularly required
to sit and talk or hear.The employee is often required to stand
and/or walk, reach with arms,climbor balance, stoop, kneel, crouch
or crawl and climb stairs.The employee must occasionally lift
and/or move up to 50lbs. and up to 100 pounds with the use of
designated moving equipment.Specific vision abilities required by
this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision,
depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The use of
either hand for repetitive movements such as grasping,graspingand
turning, and fine manipulation is required as is the ability to use
the telephone for internal and external communications.
Unity Environmental University offers a comprehensive and
competitive compensation and benefits package for its faculty and
staff. Benefits for eligible employees include:
- Paid holidays off
- 17 days of PTO
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Short- and Long-term disability
- Life Insurance
- Retirement Plan with up to 8% match
- Relocation Assistance