At Unity Environmental University we are on a mission tomake
environmental education accessible and affordable to all. Our
unique model combines a functional hierarchy and project-based
structure through our four Sustainable Education Business Units
(SEBUs) to promote collaboration and innovation (Distance
Education, Sustainable Ventures, Hybrid Learning and the Technical
Institute for Environmental Professions). We prioritize our
students' needs above all else, offering a variety of modalities,
including hybrid, in-person, hyflex, and online. Our innovative and
inclusive culture prepares students to tackle real-world challenges
and cultivate the next generation of environmental professionals
and leaders who can make a positive impact on our world.
We are dedicated to delivering quality education and experiences
that produce outstanding environmentally competent professionals
and inspire individuals from all walks of life to steward
About Sustainable Ventures:
Sustainable Ventures represents the real-world application of Unity
Environmental University's curriculum through a range of lifestyle
brands, including hospitality, retail, agriculture, and other
environmentally and socially conscious businesses. We also offer
curated learning opportunities in the form of non-degree,
non-credit courses, upskilling programs, workforce training, and
micro-credentials that serve the needs of employers and businesses.
We believe that sustainability is key to long-term business success
and tailor our messaging to each location and Venture. At Unity
Environmental University: Sustainable Ventures, we serve as an
incubator for products and services designed to appeal to a broad
audience, helping to maximize non-tuition revenue and generate
diverse income streams. Our goal is to demonstrate that
sustainability and profitability can go hand in hand, creating a
better world for all.
The Seasonal Farm Hand
position is responsible for
providing agricultural services and hands on support to McKay Farm
and Research Station. The Farm Hand is responsible for performing
daily field and greenhouse operations at McKay Farm, including
production, seeding & transplanting, field planting, weeding,
irrigation, harvesting, washing and packing produce. This position
also contributes to customer service, marketing, and sales of farm
services and products.
McKay Farm and Research Station is Unity Environmental Universities
multi-faceted greenhouse and field facility located on 27-acres in
Thorndike, Maine. Certified by Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners
Association (MOFGA), it is a working production farm, with herbs
and produce sold wholesale to local grocery stores. The Farm Hand
supports and is supported by other members of Sustainable Ventures
and works with all constituencies to realize the Universities
Mission and Strategic Plan.
Day to day responsibilities:
Do you have the skills?
- Performs daily crop production activities in the field
including bed preparation, mowing, mulching, watering, weeding,
fertilization, planting, harvest, post-harvest handling, cover crop
management, and pest management.
- Performs daily greenhouse activities including filling and
seeding flats and pots, watering when necessary and routine
monitoring of environmental conditions and adjusting
- Monitor's condition of farm equipment and performs routine
maintenance of all farm vehicles and equipment. Report's problems
and works closely with farm management to ensure proper operation,
maintenance, and repair.
- Operates outdoor/indoor irrigation systems.
- Operates farm equipment such as tractors, mowers, field
implements and forklift.
- Contributes to record keeping efforts for evaluation of
venture, productivity, energy use, and sustainability, as well as
requirements for compliance with MOFGA Organic certification.
- Conducts wholesale and retail sales and updates database of
customers and sales. Takes orders and makes deliveries.
- Operates the point-of-sale system, including running cards and
collecting payment from customers.
- Demonstrates accurate cash management and inventory control
- Provides excellent customer service; acts in a courteous and
professional manner when greeting guests at the facility.
- Monitor's inventory and recommends purchases of needed
equipment and supplies.
- Follows protocols for safe use of chemicals.
- Performs repairs on buildings, irrigation systems, ventilation
systems as needed.
- Maintains grounds for year-round visual appeal by performing
regular mowing, trimming, weeding, mulching, and landscaping.
- Assists with the setup of displays both inside the greenhouses
and outside as needed.
- Works continuously to improve safety at the facility by
communicating and following safety guidelines; helps to identify
and mitigate risks and demonstrates safe work habits.
- Works with the Manager to maintain an organized, inviting, safe
and sanitary environment.
- Operating hours and time on-site will vary and may require
early mornings, evenings, and/or weekends.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Relevant experience working in a greenhouse agricultural
- Implements a hands-on approach to assist with the management of
- Ability to work as part of a team or independently as
- Working knowledge of MS Office, including Word, Excel,
PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Must possess a positive attitude.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills with all
levels of the organization and with a variety of internal and
- Organized and able to juggle multiple tasks at the same time
and establish priorities for meeting deadlines, using time
- Exercises independent judgement on a regular basis.
- Ability and willingness to work with students from diverse
political/socioeconomic backgrounds and a wide range of physical
and academic abilities.
- Contributes to the Universities commitment to sustainability
and contributes to the Universities commitment to support a diverse
and inclusive working and learning environment.
- Demonstrates commitment to Unity Environmental Universities
core values and serves as a role model for the Universities
standards of conduct.
- Personal commitment to the environmental focus and mission of
- Ensures compliance with established Unity Environmental
University policies & procedures
- A good driving record with the ability to obtain a valid Maine
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational
Are you contemplating the job but uncertain if you should
apply? We encourage you to reach out to us regardless. At our
company, we acknowledge that not everyone begins their professional
journey with equal advantages, opportunities, or privileges.
Therefore, we value your unique skills and experiences. Take a
chance and submit your application; you may be precisely the
individual we're searching for!
- Bachelors degree, in agricultural sciences or a related
- 1 - 3 years relevant experience working in a greenhouse
- Knowledge of Integrated Pest Management principles and
practices, plant propagation and culture methods, soil and growth
media preparation required.
- Working knowledge of fertilizers and pesticides, including how,
why and when to apply, relevant safety and legal requirements, and
the correct use of related equipment.
- Ability to identify crop plants and their problems (disease,
pests, and others).
- Ability to conduct routine maintenance and small repairs on
equipment such as tractors and farm implements, forklift, climate
control systems, chemical sprayers, and hand tools.
- Experience with carpentry and/or mechanical repair.
Work hours are specific to the requirements of this position and
can include days, evenings, weekends. Working extended hours may be
required as needed and Unity Environmental University employees
must be flexible and cooperative in fulfilling their
responsibilities while meeting the Universities needs.
Although at Unity Environmental University Enterprise employees are
generally scheduled to work at their base location, there are times
when travel is necessary and employees are required from time to
time to attend events, meetings or work temporary assignment at any
Unity Environmental University location.
While performing the duties of this job, it is regularly required
to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to
stand or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up
to 20 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception,
and the ability to adjust focus. The use of either hand for
repetitive movements such as grasping, grasping, and turning, and
fine manipulation is required as is the ability to use the
telephone for internal and external communications.
Unity Environmental University offers a comprehensive and
competitive compensation and benefits package for its faculty and
staff. Benefits for eligible employees include:
- Paid holidays off
- 4 weeks of PTO
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Short- and Long-term disability
- Life Insurance
- Retirement Plan with up to 8% match
- Relocation Assistance