At Unity Environmental University we are on a mission to make
environmental education accessible and affordable to all. Our
unique model combines a functional hierarchy and project-based
structure through our four Sustainable Education Business Units
(SEBUs) to promote collaboration and innovation (Distance
Education, Sustainable Ventures, Hybrid Learning and the Technical
Institute for Environmental Professions). We prioritize our
students' needs above all else, offering a variety of modalities,
including hybrid, in-person, hyflex, and online. Our innovative and
inclusive culture prepares students to tackle real-world challenges
and cultivate the next generation of environmental professionals
and leaders who can make a positive impact on our world.
We are dedicated to delivering quality education and experiences
that produce outstanding environmentally competent professionals
and inspire individuals from all walks of life to steward
About Sustainable Ventures:
Sustainable Ventures represents the real-world application of Unity
Environmental Universities curriculum through a range of lifestyle
brands, including hospitality, retail, agriculture, and other
environmentally and socially conscious businesses. We also offer
curated learning opportunities in the form of non-degree,
non-credit courses, upskilling programs, workforce training, and
micro-credentials that serve the needs of employers and businesses.
We believe that sustainability is key to long-term business success
and tailor our messaging to each location and Venture. At Unity
Environmental University: Sustainable Ventures, we serve as an
incubator for products and services designed to appeal to a broad
audience, helping to maximize non-tuition revenue and generate
diverse income streams. Our goal is to demonstrate that
sustainability and profitability can go hand in hand, creating a
better world for all.
The Chef at Sky Lodge
will re-establish farm-to-table food
and beverage operations at Unity Environmental Universities 150
acre Moose River campus. The 50-person dining room is housed in the
historic Sky Lodge log cabin, built in 1929, and located on the Old
Canada Road National Scenic Byway and tucked into Maines northwest
timber country. The Jackman-Moose River Valley region is a
year-round destination for outdoor adventure. Food and beverage
services would be provided for both guests staying on site in one
of the six cabin homes, and individuals living and visiting the
area. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner service is required for student
groups, non-profits, families, and summer camps who book the lodge.
The campus also houses the Elaine and John Couri Welcome Center, an
ideal spot for take-away breakfast or lunch service. This revenue
generating position oversees food and beverage services for the
property and is responsible for re-establishing operations and
building the culinary team.
Unity Environmental University is committed to creating a
sustainable world through global engagement and destination based
education. The environment and our natural resources are at the
forefront of all we do. As a steward of the environment, the Chef
at Sky Lodge will envision new possibilities for the outdoor
adventure traveler and for those who travel with purpose. Within
the framework of functional leadership, the Chef supports and is
supported by other members of the Sustainable Ventures team while
working with all constituencies to realize the Unity Environmental
University Mission and Strategic Plan.
Day to day responsibilities:
Do you have the skills?
- Establish farm-to-table food and beverage services for the
property, highlighting Sky Lodge as a destination for sustainable
and environmentally conscious cuisine.
- Implements a hands-on approach to effectively manage daily food
and beverage operations, implementing policies and standard
- Enhance Unity Environmental Universities reputation for
environmental stewardship through sustainable practices.
- Sources and prepares meals; displays culinary creativity in
developing menus, exhibiting dedication to high standards for
output, quality, and sustainability.
- Work in conjunction with the VP to develop, implement, monitor,
and control pricing and rate strategies to drive revenue; maintains
a margin-based budget.
- Utilizes data-driven decision making to analyze business
decisions and achieve operational excellence; including budget
focused scheduling, weekly profit and loss reviews, quarterly
business reviews, cash management, asset protection, inventory
controls, and inventory management; analyze sales figures,
interpret trends, and forecast future sales to manage all
controllable costs and keep operations profitable and within
- Ensures optimum resource management through menus development,
training kitchen staff, and monitoring production inputs and waste;
seeks out vendors, service providers, and other suppliers in align
with business office practices and budget expectations.
- Inspects all food service spaces for cleanliness, maintains
sanitary logs, and always ensures proper food safety, with a
knowledge of food allergy protocols.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable laws and regulations,
including State of Maine Food Code, Department of Health and Human
Services Eating and Lodging Programs, SERV Safe, and OSHA
- Spearhead and develop an effective marketing strategy to
promote Sky Lodge services and other offerings; works with the head
of Sky Lodge to ensure all guest communication is updated regularly
to match branding and enhance the guest experience, included but
not limited to social media, online travel agents, industry travel
partners, and newsletters.
- Identifies opportunities to enhance the individual guest
experience and coordinates with the head of Sky Lodge to develop
and standardize implementation.
- Facilitate strategic planning along with a timetable of action
to achieve revenue goals and expectations.
- Hires, trains, and supervises personnel in coordination with
VP, head of Sky Lodge, and Human Resources; responsible for the
direct supervision of food and beverage employees, partners with
the VP to ensure resolution to any and all challenges or concerns
across units while adhering to Sky Lodge and Unity Environmental
University policies and procedures.
- Communicates with maintenance staff to bring repairs and
maintenance needs to their attention as identified during routine
and seasonal cleaning of food service areas.
- Pro-actively communicate challenges, successes, and failures
- Represents Unity Environmental University to the broader
- Maintain confidentiality of guest and proprietary information,
protecting company assets.
- Other duties as assigned
- Associate degree in hospitality, culinary, hotel, or business
- At least 3 - 5 years of job-related hospitality and culinary
- At least 2+ years of food production experience.
- Serve-safe certification or must be obtained within 2 months of
- Ability to work as part of a team or independently as needed in
a rural setting.
- An entrepreneurial mindset and revenue-focused attitude.
- Must have business acumen, excellent communication, leadership,
relationship building and interpersonal skills with excellent
organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to create a sustainable food and beverage menu within
margins and produce quality food.
- Proven ability to manage inventory and control costs through
accurate costing, sourcing, pricing, and comparative analysis.
- Ability to look for, suggest, and implement improved
- Ability to think creatively and produce superb work under
- Must be willing to participate in a learning environment and
integrate education opportunities into everyday business
- Demonstrated ability to relate well to individuals and groups
with widely varying backgrounds, perspectives, education, and
- Demonstrated commitment to Unity Environmental Universities
core values and serves as a role model for the Universitystandards
- Personal commitment to the environmental focus and mission of
- Contributes to the Universities commitment to sustainability
and contributes to the Universities commitment to support a diverse
and inclusive working and learning environment.
- Ensures compliance with established Unity Environmental
University: Sky Lodge policies & procedures
- Hands on social media experience with a working knowledge of
Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, TikTok, and other social media
- Knowledge of the best practices and procedures for customer
service, hospitality management, food and beverage operations and
motivating and disciplining hospitality workers.
- A good driving record with the ability to obtain a valid Maine
- Strong knowledge of MS Office, including Word, Excel,
PowerPoint and Outlook. Must be able to quickly adapt to new
- Ability to obtain a valid Maine Drivers license, with a clean
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational
structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being
discreet, courteous and well poised
Are you contemplating the job but uncertain if you should
apply? We encourage you to reach out to us regardless. At our
company, we acknowledge that not everyone begins their professional
journey with equal advantages, opportunities, or privileges.
Therefore, we value your unique skills and experiences. Take a
chance and submit your application; you may be precisely the
individual we're searching for!
- Bachelors Degree preferred.
Work hours are specific to the requirements of this position and
can include days, evenings, weekends. Working extended hours may be
required as needed and Unity Environmental University employees
must be flexible and cooperative in fulfilling their
responsibilities while meeting the Universities needs.
Although at Unity Environmental University Enterprise employees are
generally scheduled to work at their base location, there are times
when travel is necessary and employees are required from time to
time to attend events, meetings or work temporary assignment at any
Unity Environmental University location.
While performing the duties of this job, it is regularly required
to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to
stand or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up
to 20 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception,
and the ability to adjust focus. The use of either hand for
repetitive movements such as grasping, grasping, and turning, and
fine manipulation is required as is the ability to use the
telephone for internal and external communications.
Unity Environmental University offers a comprehensive and
competitive compensation and benefits package for its faculty and
staff. Benefits for eligible employees include:
- Paid holidays off
- 4 weeks of PTO
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Short- and Long-term disability
- Life Insurance
- Retirement Plan with up to 8% match
- Relocation Assistance