At Unity Environmental University we are on a mission to make
environmental education accessible and affordable to all. Our
unique model combines a functional hierarchy and project-based
structure through our four Sustainable Education Business Units
(SEBUs) to promote collaboration and innovation (Distance
Education, Sustainable Ventures, Hybrid Learning and the Technical
Institute for Environmental Professions). We prioritize our
students' needs above all else, offering a variety of modalities,
including hybrid, in-person, hyflex, and online. Our innovative and
inclusive culture prepares students to tackle real-world challenges
and cultivate the next generation of environmental professionals
and leaders who can make a positive impact on our world.
We are dedicated to delivering quality education and experiences
that produce outstanding environmentally competent professionals
and inspire individuals from all walks of life to steward
About Sustainable Ventures:
Sustainable Ventures represents the real-world application of Unity
Environmental University's curriculum through a range of lifestyle
brands, including hospitality, retail, agriculture, and other
environmentally and socially conscious businesses. We also offer
curated learning opportunities in the form of non-degree,
non-credit courses, upskilling programs, workforce training, and
micro-credentials that serve the needs of employers and businesses.
We believe that sustainability is key to long-term business success
and tailor our messaging to each location and Venture. At Unity
Environmental University: Sustainable Ventures, we serve as an
incubator for products and services designed to appeal to a broad
audience, helping to maximize non-tuition revenue and
The Facilities Manager
is an on-site position for Unity
Environmental Universities 150-acre Sky Lodge campus tucked into
Maine’s northwest timber country in Moose River, Maine. The
Facilities Manager supervises repairs and general maintenance of
all Unity Environmental University: Sky Lodge properties by
assigning projects, evaluating work, and providing constructive
feedback to maintenance and housekeeping staff. The Facilities
Manager ensures the maintenance of the physical condition of all
Unity Environmental University: Sky Lodge properties in accordance
with operating and safety standards. This position supervises
staff, performs repair work, timely work request completion,
diagnoses and repairs major appliances, HVAC, plumbing,
electricity, carpentry, and any other repair or grounds work needed
at the property. The Sky Lodge campus includes a historic log-cabin
lodge with 12 guest rooms and a 50-seat dining room, along with a
welcome center, six cabin homes available for rent by the public,
an educational facility enjoyed by the local community, and onsite
Nordic ski and snowmobile trails.
Unity Environmental University is committed to creating a
sustainable world through global engagement and destination-based
education. The environment and our natural resources are at the
forefront of all we do. As a steward of the environment, the
Facilities Manager maintains the Sky Lodge campus and facilities
for outdoor adventure travelers and those who seek to travel and
learn with purpose. Within the framework of functional leadership,
the Facilities Manager supports and is supported by other members
of the Environmental Business and Sustainable Ventures team while
working with all constituencies to realize the Unity Environmental
University Mission and Strategic Plan. This is an Enterprise
position dedicated to Sky Lodge and has dotted-line reporting to
the Director of Sky Lodge.
Day to day responsibilities:
Do you have the skills?
- Observes conditions of all physical facilities, grounds,
trails, and equipment on the property and works in collaboration
with the Director of Facilities Management and Public Safety and
Public Safety and head of Sky Lodge.
- Builds a culture of hospitality within the service that is
- Leads a comprehensive preventative maintenance program that
will extend the life of all buildings, furniture, fixtures, and
equipment on the property.
- Utilizes eMaint, our CMMS program to input issues, create
preventative maintenance schedules, assigns and completes work
- Assigns staff to complete the needed activities for the day and
inspects their accomplishments.
- Takes an active role in supervising the facilities staff in the
performance of daily work assignments.
- Ensures equipment is maintained and replaced as needed. Ensures
that inspections and registrations are current.
- Orders and maintains an adequate electronic inventory of
maintenance supplies and materials.
- Works to establish a safe and healthful environment for guests,
students, staff and faculty.
- Responsible for the safety, security, satisfaction and
well-being of guests, staff, and students; respond swiftly and
effectively in any emergency situations.
- Schedules annual safety training for Sky Lodge staff and
maintains electric records of training.
- Participates in routine safety audits.
- Upholds green cleaning standard operating procedures.
- Maintains Safety Data Sheets SDS, ensuring they are up to date
- Participate in all required meetings to provide thoughtful and
insightful suggestions and feedback to give a voice to the
Facilities team while demonstrating commitment to the success of
- Participates in task groups as assigned.
- Assists with the management of minor projects as assigned.
- Coordinate delivery and service calls with all vendors. Ensure
best pricing and alignment with Unity Environmental University's
- Lead or partner with external contracted companies to assure
quality and timeliness of work while prioritizing the guest
experience and developing long term partnerships. Develops and
maintains these relationships.
- Communicate regularly with the Director of Facilities and head
of Sky Lodge to provide updates and align on priorities, discuss
plans, and request for any additional resources to support Sky
- Collaborate with the head of Sky Lodge to discuss vital issues
along with any upcoming projects and planning.
- Actively participates in the interviewing, hiring, training,
scheduling, coaching, and motivating facilities staff to create an
environment that nurtures ideas and develops future talent for
- Evaluates facilities staff on an annual basis and provides
constructive feedback and direction on a regular basis.
- Works with the DFM and head of Sky Lodge on employee coaching
and discipline as necessary.
- Maintains the maintenance portion of the facilities budget and
works with the DFM and Director of Sky Lodge to prepare annual
budgets. Prepares Purchase Orders and reconciles expenses
- Fluent in operational metrics and KPI’s. Works to increase
revenue while decreasing expenses.
- Assists and supports special events as required.
- Pro-actively communicate challenges, successes, and failures
- Coordinates with the rest of the Facilities team on other
campuses as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED.
- 3 - 5 years of progressive experience, with at least two years
of leadership experience
- Basic Building maintenance skills and abilities.
- Basic construction and repair skills and abilities.
- Basic accounting and finance skills to maintain budgets.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks & projects with superb
accuracy in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to look for, suggest, and implement improved
- Implements a hands-on approach to effectively manage the
quality of dailyoperations.
- Ability to work as part of a team or independently as
- Ability to objectively coach others and make recommendations to
resolve complex, difficult, and/or emotional issues
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules,
safety data sheets, operating and maintenance instructions, and
- Must possess a positive attitude.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Must be willing to participate in a learning environment.
- Must integrate Unity Environmental University values throughout
- Personal commitment to the environmental focus and mission of
- Ensures compliance with established Unity Environmental
University: Sky Lodge policies & procedures.
- Comply with quality assurance expectations and standards as
- Demonstrates leadership and a professional image to all guests,
staff, and other members of the University.
- Strong knowledge of MS Office, including Word, Excel,
PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Knowledge of computerized maintenance management information
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record.
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational
structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being
discreet, courteous and well poised.
Are you contemplating the job but uncertain if you should
apply? We encourage you to reach out to us regardless. At our
company, we acknowledge that not everyone begins their professional
journey with equal advantages, opportunities, or privileges.
Therefore, we value your unique skills and experiences. Take a
chance and submit your application; you may be precisely the
individual we're searching for!
- 2 years of college.
- Custodial or grounds management experience.
- Knowledge of trail construction and maintenance.
Work hours are specific to the requirements of this position and
can include days, evenings, weekends. Working extended hours may be
required as needed and Unity Environmental University employees
must be flexible and cooperative in fulfilling their
responsibilities while meeting the University's needs.
Although at Unity Environmental University Enterprise employees are
generally scheduled to work at their base location, there are times
when travel is necessary and employees are required from time to
time to attend events, meetings or work temporary assignment at any
Unity Environmental University location.
While performing the duties of this job, it is regularly required
to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to
stand or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up
to 20 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception,
and the ability to adjust focus. The use of either hand for
repetitive movements such as grasping, grasping, and turning, and
fine manipulation is required as is the ability to use the
telephone for internal and external communications.
Unity Environmental University offers a comprehensive and
competitive compensation and benefits package for its faculty and
staff. Benefits for eligible employees include:
- Paid holidays off
- 4 weeks of PTO
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Short- and Long-term disability
- Life Insurance
- Retirement Plan with up to 8% match
- Relocation Assistance