The Circulation and Integrated Library System Manager is
responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the Borrowing
Services department, including the management of the circulation
desk and Integrated Library System ( ILS ). This position oversees
a team of approximately five unionized staff, three casual wage
staff, and thirty student workers. The manager is also responsible
for ensuring the effective delivery of circulation, course
reserves, and ensuring the accuracy and reliability of library data
Professional Experience/ Qualifications
- Supervise and manage a team of approximately eight circulation
staff, including hiring, training, and scheduling.
- Responsible for hiring, training, and managing student
employees and providing feedback and guidance as needed.
- Manage and maintain the library’s Integrated Library System (
ILS ), including system administration, upgrades, configuration
troubleshooting, and data management.
- Oversee course reserves, including acquisition of course
materials, copyright compliance, and access management.
- Prepare and maintain reports on departmental activities,
including circulation statistics, overdue fines, and lost or
- Manage patron records, ensuring accuracy and compliance with
library policies and procedures.
- Provide basic technical support to staff and library users,
including hardware and software troubleshooting.
- Respond to user inquiries, complaints, or concerns in a timely
and professional manner.
- Develop and maintain library policies and procedures related to
circulation services, ensuring compliance with national and local
- Collaborate with other library departments to develop and
implement innovative services and initiatives that enhance the user
experience and improve library operations.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest developments in library
technology and trends, and make recommendations for improvements to
library services and operations.
- Serve on library committees and task forces as assigned.
- May be responsible for the timely and efficient execution of
other responsibilities, special projects, committees or other work
unique to the department, division, or function, as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree or a combination of education and
experience from which comparable skills have been attained is
- Supervisory experience
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in
- Excellent customer service skills, with the ability to interact
effectively with a diverse range of users
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work
collaboratively and build effective working relationships
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Evidence of initiative, creativity, and resourcefulness
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- At least 2-5 years of library experience
- 3 or more years supervisory experience, with 10 or more
- Demonstrated commitment to user-centered library services and
- Familiarity with library policies, procedures, and best
practices related to circulation and ILS management
- Successful experience collaborating on multi-department
- Knowledge of current and emerging library systems and
technology, including Integrated Library Systems and circulation
- Ability to adapt to changing library and technology trends
A Bachelor’s degree or a combination of education and experience
from which comparable skills have been attained is required
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions Summary
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against
any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their
race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin,
marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information,
being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking,
familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is
an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from
historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with
disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
For more information, click the "How to Apply" button.