ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT II (Internal Medicine)
Number of Vacancies:
School of Medicine / Internal Medicine
Scope of Job:
To provide skilled administrative support and routine
administrative support to the head of a large department and the
departmental staff and/or faculty in an academic or non-academic
area. Maintains financial data, which includes monthly budget and
Description of Duties:
• Provides direct administrative support to the administrator of a
• Creates letters, memos, reports, requisitions, and other material
based on generic direction.
• Prepares agenda for meeting, schedules meetings, records and
distributes minutes of meetings.
• Handles travel arrangements for supervisor and other office
• Responsible for all routine administrative functions and
• Composes letters, memos, reports, requisitions, research papers,
class related papers, exams, and other material from rough drafts
or notes from a superior.
• Acts as receptionist.
• Screens visitors and telephone calls.
• Makes appointments.
• Orders supplies and arranges for repair of equipment.
• Organizes and maintain records and filing systems.
• May assist in processing various student forms and requests for
the appropriate review and approvals.
• May provide general program information and materials to students
and/or direct students to the appropriate student services
• May assist in coordination, planning, and/or staffing of
departmental meetings and events as needed for outreach,
recruitment & education.
• Processes personnel actions upon direction of the
• Monitors complex records and prepares reports from a variety of
• Monitors expenditures and income against the budgets, maintains
accurate accounting ledgers and facilitates monthly reconciliations
of accounts. Maintains a wide variety of academic, fiscal,
personnel and administrative records and files consisting of
confidential and official matters.
• Keeps and maintain inventory and personnel records.
• Receives, sorts and distributes mail.
• May assist in the preparation of budgets, grant requests, class
schedules and other periodic reports.
• May track vacation, arrange for back-up coverage and process time
cards for any assigned employees.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General supervision from Chair or Director of a large Department
with at least 10 regular FTE’s.
May supervise support staff and temporary employees.
Associate degree in Business or in a related field or experience as
Three (3) years of office administrative experience. Experience may
be substituted for education on a 1-on-1 basis.
Experience obtained within higher education.
Knowledge of the use of personal computer, word processing,
spreadsheet, and database software. Standard office
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties.
Excellent, professional office environment; some travel to clinic
sites and weekend work is required. Exerting up to 10 pounds of
force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force frequently
or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects,
including the human body.
Must have excellent customer service, interpersonal,
organizational, and verbal skills.
Commensurate with Experience
Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date:
Grant Funded Position:
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to
promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all
individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex,
age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In
accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the Civil Rights
Act of 1964, the Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972,
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans
with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is
committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures
non-discrimination in its education programs and activities,
including employment. We encourage women, minorities and
differently abled persons to apply for employment positions of
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Dear Applicant, Human Resources will not be held responsible for
redacting any confidential information from the documents you
attach with your application. The confidential information includes
the following: *Date of Birth *Gender *Ethnicity/Race Please make
sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are
advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application
to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas
Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting
applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after
meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days. If you
have any questions, please visit our Careers site at https://careers.utrgv.edu
detailed contact information.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is
subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background
check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval
from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/38582