Director of Student Health Center
Located in the historic community of Walla Walla
vibrant and beautiful tree-lined campus is home to an
intellectually diverse, dynamic, welcoming and supportive community
of some 500 staff and faculty serving approximately 1,500 students
from the local region and across the globe. With exceptional
students, accomplished faculty and staff, and a fiercely loyal and
growing number of engaged alumni, Whitman College continues to
build on its national reputation for academic excellence as one of
the top liberal arts colleges in the country.
is cultivating a community built on inclusion and
belonging. We recognize the value of those who can offer
historically underrepresented perspectives and encourage
applications from those whose background, knowledge, and insights
from lived experience can add to the college's working and learning
environment. Whitman College is an Equal Employment Opportunity
employer (EEO) .
The Director of the Student Health Center shares with other members
of the Student Life staff the general responsibility of supporting
the educational aims of the College and assisting students in their
efforts to make full use of the opportunities available to them.
The Health Center Director specifically provides supervision and
leadership of patient care and is responsible for the development
of appropriate programs to provide education in the areas of health
and wellness for all students. The Director reports to the Dean of
Students and serves as a liaison between the Health Center and
student, faculty, staff, and community members. The Health Center
Director is committed to serving all students and is a partner in
advancing the goals of diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism
as a core value of the college.
HIRING SALARY RANGE
Successful RN, NP or PA applicants can expect to start between
$95,000 and $112,000 depending on licensure and experience.
Successful MD applicants can expect to start between $112,000 and
- Responsible for the administration of all Health Center
functions, including the development and supervision of nursing
policies and procedures based on sound nursing practice as well as
state and federal regulations.
- Recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate all Health Center
- Responsible for the preparation and supervision of the annual
- Prepare and supervise, with the Medical Director, Standing
Medical Orders, policies, and procedures.
- Oversee the implementation of all physician orders and
individual patient care including lab tests, physical exams,
referrals, and transportation when required.
- Oversee student health records to ensure compliance with
college health requirements and all appropriate state and federal
regulations while ensuring confidentiality is maintained.
- Supervise the purchase and maintenance of all Health Center
equipment and supplies, and determine appropriate charges to
students for various services and supplies.
- Participate in required continuing professional education (CPE)
and provide opportunities for professional Health Center staff to
obtain appropriate CPE.
- Remain professionally active in College Health
- Serve on campus wide committees as may be required: for
example, care team, crisis management, emergency preparedness
- Work closely with the Associate Dean of Health and Wellness in
coordination of care for shared students, oversight of public
health education and community health promotion activities and
- Review documents for students returning from a medical leave to
ensure that they can be supported with care at Whitman.
- Carry out assessments of services periodically as may be
required to keep up to date with promising practices in the
- Serve as a part of the Student Life Leadership Team (Dean's
Council) and as such is engage in areas beyond those of the Health
Center that are related to student well-being, thriving,
flourishing and success.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & ABILITIES
Individuals must be able to explain and demonstrate that they
possess the knowledge, skills and abilities to safely perform the
essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable
- The ability to work with a diverse student population, and to
contribute to the College's core values of diversity, equity,
inclusion and anti-racism.
- Communication in written and oral forms for multiple
- General computer knowledge and skills, and a willingness to
learn new software programs.
- The ability to manage a budget.
- Hold a BS in nursing and currently licensed as a Registered
- A minimum of 5 years practicing as a healthcare
- Supervisory experience in the field of nursing and/or Medicine
and or/Public Health
- Experience with health education.
- Appropriate licensure and/or board certification to practice in
the State of Washington or the ability to obtain such
- Hold a credential as a Physician's Assistant (PA) or Nurse
Practitioner (NP) or Medical Doctor (MD).
- Experience working in an educational setting or with college
Please note that while the description details both required and
preferred qualifications, we want applicants to be aware that they
do not need to have all of the preferred qualifications to be
considered for this position. If you meet the minimum
qualifications and have passion for the work, you are encouraged to
Whitman College offers a competitive benefits program that is
designed to attract qualified candidates and retain talented
employees. Full-time employees enjoy the following benefits:
accidental death and dismemberment
long term disability
insurances with the capability to elect
additional voluntary coverage.
Defined Contribution Retirement Plan
with a 10% matching
contribution after eligibility
Paid Time Off:
20 accrued vacation days
12 accrued sick days
13 paid holidays
Tuition Remission - Dependent Children
for one Whitman course per semester.
Learn more about benefits eligibility here
DISABILITY ACCOMMODATION FOR JOB CANDIDATES
Contact Human Resources regarding requests for disability
accommodation in the employment application process.
Application review will begin immediately and continue until the
position is filled.
For full application instructions and position description,