Assistant Director of Financial Aid
Located in the historic community of Walla Walla
, Whitman's vibrant and
beautiful tree-lined campus is home to an intellectually diverse,
dynamic, welcoming and supportive community of some 500 staff and
faculty serving approximately 1,500 students from the local region
and across the globe. With exceptional students, accomplished
faculty and staff, and a fiercely loyal and growing number of
engaged alumni, Whitman College continues to build on its national
reputation for academic excellence as one of the top liberal arts
colleges in the country.
is cultivating a
community built on inclusion and belonging. We recognize the value
of those who can offer historically underrepresented perspectives
and encourage applications from those whose background, knowledge,
and insights from lived experience can add to the college's working
and learning environment. Whitman College is an Equal Employment
Opportunity employer (EEO) .
The Assistant Director of Financial Aid Services serves as a key
member of Whitman's Financial Aid Services team, assisting in the
processing and administering of financial aid for incoming and
returning students. This position will report to the Director of
Financial Aid Services and will serve as the point person for
multiple offices at Whitman that interface with the Financial Aid
- Work collaboratively with students and families who contact the
Financial Aid Office, including greeting visitors and answering
phone calls and emails.
- Maintain a welcoming, inclusive, and professional approach in
working with students and families.
- Provide back-up to the Financial Aid Counselor on key financial
aid office tasks.
- Complete Leave of Absence and Return of Title IV
- Complete data uploads and processing for fee waivers, award
adjustments, private loan processing, and over-award
- Remain up to date on all state and federal financial aid
- Perform verification of data for federal aid, requesting
information from students when necessary to complete verification
and making necessary changes to federal aid resulting from verified
- Provide appropriate loan forms to applicants, check forms for
completeness, verify applicant eligibility, and make necessary
adjustments to students' aid when needed.
- Calculate need analysis used in determining eligibility for
both institutional and federal financial aid.
- Support with processing of state and federal financial aid
programs as needed.
- Complete other duties as assigned by Director of Financial Aid
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & ABILITIES
Individuals must be able to explain and/or demonstrate that they
possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities to safely perform the
essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable
- Ability to work with a high degree of flexibility, accuracy and
attention to detail.
- Demonstrate excellent office and computer technology
- Demonstrate a high degree of computer literacy, including Word,
Excel, Internet and databases.
- Ability to work positively, pleasantly and well with the public
and diverse constituencies in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and work with sensitive
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in
- Support the institution in working with a diverse student body
and supporting institutional efforts toward advancing inclusive
excellence at Whitman College.
- Two year degree in relevant field OR the equivalent in
experience in data entry, computer processing and customer
- Bachelor's degree.
- Financial Aid experience.
Whitman College offers a competitive benefits program that is
designed to attract qualified candidates and retain talented
employees. Full-time employees enjoy the following benefits:
, accidental death and
and long term disability
insurances with the capability to elect additional voluntary
Contribution Retirement Plan
with a 10% matching contribution
Paid Time Off: 20 accrued vacation
, 12 accrued sick days
Tuition Remission -
Employee tuition waiver
one Whitman course per semester.
Learn more about benefits eligibility here
At Whitman College, we take seriously the safety of our community.
Whitman is a fully vaccinated campus, requiring all employees and
students to be up to date with their COVID-19 vaccinations or have
an approved exemption. More information can be found here
DISABILITY ACCOMMODATION FOR JOB CANDIDATES
Contact Human Resources regarding requests for disability
accommodation in the employment application process.
Application review will begin immediately through May 1, 2023 and
continue until the position is filled.
For full application instructions and position description,