On Call Security Officer
Located in the historic community of Walla Walla
, Whitman's beautiful
tree-lined campus is home to an intellectually dynamic, diverse,
and supportive community of some 500 staff and faculty and 1,500
students. With an endowment exceeding $500 million, fiercely loyal
alumni, exceptional students, and accomplished faculty and staff,
Whitman College continues to build on its national reputation for
academic excellence ranking as one of the top liberal arts colleges
in the country.
The On Call Security Officer fills shifts as needed, serving in an
on call capacity often on nights and weekends. The On Call Security
Officer supports the program of Security at Whitman College by
patrolling the campus during the designated shift and dealing with
emergency situations and potentially uncooperative people in a
calm, responsible manner. This is a temporary position.
1) Patrol and inspect the buildings and grounds to maintain
security from fire, theft, illegal entry, property damage, or
unauthorized use of buildings. Maintain security log during
2) Respond to emergency situations using good judgment about
approaching subjects or contacting the police.
3) Ensure that doors and windows are locked. Reports needed repairs
and safety hazards to the proper authority.
4) Ensure fire alarms and burglar alarms are in proper working
5) Supervise student security personnel during designated
6) Perform first aid care when needed.
7) Adhere to safety rules and precautions in all phases of the work
and while driving College vehicles. Identify potential safety
hazards and reports them to appropriate people.
8) Always carry required equipment furnished by Department while on
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Individuals must be able to explain and demonstrate that they
possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities to safely perform the
essential functions of the job described below with or without
1) Ability to patrol campus, walking for extended periods of time,
covering long distances rapidly in case of emergency, and climbing
2) Ability to pass first aid and CPR tests and perform if needed,
potentially from a kneeling position.
3) Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
4) Ability to work closely and congenially with faculty, students,
5) Ability to communicate effectively with others, both orally and
6) Ability to operate a computer.
7) Ability to operate college vehicles; have a valid Washington
State driver's license.
8) Ability to do shift work including night shift, weekends and
- High School graduation
- One year's experience in working within a security setting or
related field or one year's courses in criminal justice
- Must be able to successfully pass a background investigation,
employment physical and driving records investigation
- Must possess valid driver's license.
Law and justice training
This position will remain posted on an ongoing basis and
applications will be reviewed as received.
Temporary employees are generally not eligible for medical, vision,
life insurance, long-term disability, tuition remission, vacation
and holiday pay. Temporary employees accrue paid sick leave at a
rate of 1 hour of paid sick leave for 40 hours worked. Temporary
employees are eligible to participate in the voluntary contribution
portion of the 403(b) retirement plan beginning the first full
month after hire; temporary employees are not eligible for the
For full application instructions and position description,