Reporting to the Vice President of Student Life and Enrollment, the Assistant Vice President
for Student Success leads division and university efforts to improve the success of ETSU’s
undergraduate students. The Assistant Vice President reviews university data on student
success and proposes and leads actions to achieve ETSU’s student success goals.
The Assistant Vice President provides high-level oversight of ETSU’s student success
technologies, academic support for students, academic advisement, career services, and
testing services. The Assistant Vice President works collaboratively with Student Life and
Enrollment offices to enhance undergraduate students’ first-year experience and with the
Office of the Provost and Deans to integrate student success elements into academic course
design and university policies. The Assistant Vice President plays a leadership role in
institutional strategic enrollment management initiatives and is a member of the
Vice President of Student Life and Enrollment’s division leadership team.
The Assistant Vice President supervises:
- Director, Center for Academic Achievement
- Executive Director, Academic Advisement
- Director, TRIO Programs
- Director, University Career Services
- Director, University Testing Services
The value of employment at ETSU goes far beyond salary. Regular benefited ETSU
employees enjoy a full range of benefits, services, and programs including paid time off
& leave, paid holidays, health and life insurance, retirement, access to University facilities
and services, and much more! Check out the ETSU Human Resources Benefits page for
additional information. https://www.etsu.edu/human-resources/benefits/.
ETSU is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all of our students,
faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. Successful candidates
should have a demonstrated commitment and contribution to fostering and advancing equity,
diversity, and inclusion. East Tennessee State University (ETSU) is an
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of best practices, emerging issues, research, and policy questions regarding the
- college success of undergraduate students.
- Knowledge of program evaluation practices in higher education; ability to design, oversee
- and report on assessments of the effectiveness of student success initiatives.
- Ability to design and manage the implementation of complex projects.
- Ability to prepare and present reports effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to conduct data analyses needed to plan, promote, and evaluate student success
- Ability to organize and direct professional and administrative personnel.
- Ability to work collaboratively with faculty, staff, students, and administrators in a variety
- of units at ETSU and with external constituents.
- Ability to make sound decisions.
- Ability to oversee budgets and sound financial planning.
- Doctorate Degree.
- Evidence of leadership and oversight responsibilities related to higher education student
Minimum five years of professional experience in higher education.