TITLE: Farm Technician
DEPARTMENT: Cooperative Extension Program
REPORTS TO: Farm Manager
EFFECTIVE DATE: Position Will Be Open Until Filled
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full-Time
EMPLOYMENT CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
PRINCIPAL PURPOSE OF JOB:
The Farm Technician will report to the KSU Farm Manager and will serve as a support person for the Animal Science Program, the Horticulture Program, the Organic Research Program, the Entomology/Biological Conservation Program, the Environmental Science Program, and the Soil Science Program in the College of Agriculture, Communities, and the Sciences at Kentucky State University (KSU).
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
This position will assist in conducting farm activities such as planting, irrigating, harvesting, and assisting in the care of animals. Duties also include planting, harvesting, taking data, fertilizing, mowing, groundskeeping, and pesticide spraying.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: (ex: duties that are essential to performing the job with or without an accommodation)
- Provide support at the KSU farm for the Animal Science Program, the Horticulture Program, the Organic Research Program, the Entomology/Biological Conservation Program, the Environmental Science Program, and the Soil Science Program in the College of Agriculture, Communities, and the Environment at Kentucky State University (KSU).
- Assists in the management of operations at the KSU Research and Demonstration Farm.
- Assists in conducting farm activities such as planting, irrigating, harvesting, and mixing experimental feed according to formulas.
- Assist with groundskeeping such as mowing and weed eating weekly
- Assist with maintenance and events at the Center for Sustainability of Farms and Families.
- Collect, enter, and analyze statistical data.
- Other related duties as required.
High School Diploma.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of Agricultural crops and Animal Science.
- Knowledge of experimental design.
- Effective oral and writing skills.
- Supervisory ability.
- Computer literacy.
- Proficiency in relevant statistical programs.
- The ability to work cooperatively in a team effort is required.
- The initiative, resourcefulness, punctuality, and ability to work independently are essential.
- Field research involves extended physical exertion.
- Exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.