Advisor, Small Business (Temporary)
POSITION TITLE: Advisor, Small Business (Temporary)
DEPARTMENT: Entrepreneur & Business Center (EBC) tt
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
REPORTS TO: Manager, Entrepreneur & Business Center
PLACEMENT: Professional Staff Grade H08
MINIMUM PAY RATE:t$25.29 per hour
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity,
gender, language, age and background. Joliet Junior College is an
AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates
who would enhance the diversity of its staff.
This position meets with small business owners and prospective
owners. Gathers and analyzes information to formulate specific
recommendations, which would enhance the success of client’s
businesses; prepares written summaries of information, analysis and
recommended actions. Conducts training and workshops on small
business planning and operations. Tracks and reports on the
progress of clients; promotes the start-up, growth and expansions
of small businesses. Represents the college at community meetings
as requested. Entrepreneurial self-motivated, performance driven,
customer focused, and learner centered attitude with ability to
“sell” and negotiate helps to achieve mutual goals.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provide in-depth, high quality consultation assistance in areas
including management, marketing, finance and accounting, regulation
and taxation, production and operations, office automation and
computers, and other areas of assistance required to promote small
2. Develop and/or analyze business plans and loan structuring
strategies. Establish and maintain a referral network of recognized
professionals in these areas for follow-up assistance by
3. Design and implement the technology transfer services component
of the Entrepreneur & Business Center. Facilitate linkages and
establish referral processes with technology commercialization
4. Serve as the liaison to financial institutions, economic
development groups, other lending sources, and chambers of
5. Develop training proposals; define deliverables and costs of
deliverables; make presentations to company representatives.
Oversee and/or monitor the development of training programs. Manage
and/or advise on the contract negotiations with external
consultants and trainers. Monitor the delivery of training; ensure
adherence to the high standards of instructional quality; serve as
the liaison for the company and the trainees.
6. Conduct and/or facilitate workshops and coordinate other
7. Develop and maintain client control records and management
information system (Soft Share and Center Connect) in accordance
with policies and procedures.
8. Provide technical assistance in alternative business financing
such as Community Development Corporations and revolving loan
9. Provide technical assistance on state and federal initiatives
such as modernization, Small Business Administration loan process,
and Small Business Innovative Research.
10. Continually conduct needs assessments of district businesses
through various methods including focus groups, informational
seminars, surveys and field research; synthesize and re-evaluate
strategic planning; support market-driven approach.
11. Perform related duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business or related
2. Three (3) years of experience in banking, loan management or
3. Knowledge of training and development, adult learning, and
4. Demonstrated experience in sales, writing contracts, and
5. Strong organizational and project management skills with the
ability to coordinate multi-dimensional activities simultaneously;
strong marketing orientation. Experience with marketing venues
including web-based tools.
6. Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
Good platform and instructional skills.
7. Ability to work well with clients and business customers; must
be entrepreneurial, bottom line performance driven, customer
focused, and learner centered; able to “sell” and negotiate to
achieve mutual goals.
8. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective
working relationships with other members of the college and
community, displaying cultural competence as well as emotional
9. Demonstrated commitment to the college’s core values of respect
and inclusion, sustainability, integrity, collaboration, humor and
well-being, innovation and quality.
1. Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business or related
2. Experience in writing business plans and/or marketing
3. English and Spanish verbal and written communication
4. Demonstrated multicultural competence.
1. Normal office physical demands.
2. Evening and/or weekends commensurate with demand.
3. Access to transportation for local travel required.
4. Ability to travel between campus locations and to and from
1. Duties are performed indoors in the usual office
PLEASE INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING ITEMS WITH YOUR
• A cover letter with your interest in being considered for the
• Unofficial Transcripts (must be included)
Full Time/Part Time:
Union (If Applicable):
For more information, click the "How to Apply" button.