Posting Details (Default Section)
Assistant Director of Veterans Services
Metropolitan Campus, Teaneck, NJ
Office of Veterans Services--Metro
Hiring Manager Title:
Director of Veterans Affairs
Commensurate with Experience
The Assistant Director of Veterans Services reports to the Director
of Veterans Services within the Office of the Vice President for
Enrollment Management. The Assistant Director of Veterans Services
will serve as the lead Veterans Administration (VA) Certifying
Official for Educational Benefits while assisting with the
day-to-day operation and maintaining effective control and
coordination of all Veteran Service activities through policies and
procedures consistent with those established by the FDU
administration as well as federal and state regulatory
The role serves as a multi-campus point of contact and advocate for
all veterans, active-duty service members, reservists, and eligible
dependents attending FDU . This includes undergraduate and
graduate, full-time, part-time, residential and commuter students
on all campuses and in the University’s on-line programs.
1. Bachelor’s degree required or 10 years of related experience ;
master’s degree preferred.
2. Minimum of six (6) years combined experience working with
active-duty military and veteran’s organization.
3. Must have excellent knowledge of U.S. Department of Veterans
Affairs Education Benefits and can research complex federal and
state regulatory guidance as well as college policies and
procedures. Willing to become a certifying official. Knowledge of
Vocational Rehabilitation & Education (VR&E), Enrollment
Manager, ArmyIgnitED, and AI Portal preferred.
4. Strong military service orientation is essential, with
situational awareness of issues concerning veterans and their
5. Ability to work with people from a variety of diverse social and
6. Solid work ethic and a goal-oriented, self-motivated
7. Ability to work with and maintain confidential documents.
8. Experience with operations management, budget management and
9. Strong commitment to customer service; possesses excellent
telephone and customer service skills.
10. Strong interpersonal skills, exemplary planning skills,
excellent organizational skills, and time management skills.
11. Possesses critical thinking skills and the ability to propose
and implement effective solutions to issues or problems.
12. Ability to multi-task and efficiently prioritize workload in a
fast-paced office environment.
13. Ability to work within a team structure and contribute to the
success of the department.
14. Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
15. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to
establish and maintain rapport with students, parents, faculty,
administrative staff and top-level executives. Ability to develop
cooperative relationships and establish meaningful partnerships
within FDU and local communities.
16. Experiencing in utilizing social media to market and
communicate to the Veteran population.
17. Ability to provide non-academic counseling to individuals
regarding the services provided by the University and by Federal,
State, and local Veterans Services.
18. Valid driver’s license and accessibility to transportation for
travel between campuses and to off-site locations.
19. Willing and able to work non-standard hours, including nights
and weekends as needed.
20. Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory background check.
Candidates for hire will be required to sign a waiver authorizing
the background check and produce a Social Security Card.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Application Types Accepted:
Application for Employment
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter