A successful candidate will play an active role in FMU's existing
academic success. This is a full-time non-tenure-track faculty
position requiring a strong educational background specifically in
more than one area of education .
The Assistant Professor of Chemistry shall primarily be responsible
for supporting the Department of Health and Natural Sciences in
maximizing the University’s operating performance while achieving
institutional goals and objectives. The Assistant Professor of
Chemistry shall implement strategies to train healthcare
professionals offering a myriad of undergraduate healthcare
programs for our students.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Perform teaching, scholarship, service, and professional
development. Seek and obtain external funding.
- Work collaboratively with the other faculty to advance the
programs within the Department of Natural Sciences including
working on trans-disciplinary research.
- Advise students for both academic and career fields.
- Publish in referred journals, book chapters, and books.
- Represent the department, school, and University at
professional meetings locally, nationally, and
- Assist in the development of additional Chemistry
- Assist in the development of partnerships with external
organizations and entities in order to strengthen the Department’s
objectives and goals.
- Support in serving as a mentor for undergraduate research
projects in Chemistry.
- Possess excellent research skills to train students and
colleagues to broaden participation in research and
- A thorough understanding of technology, learning management
systems, and computer applications is essential (i.e. Blackboard,
Canvas, Jenzabar, LinkedIn Learning).
- Understanding the curriculum and developing schedules, lesson
plans, and teaching methods that will help students cover the
- Preparing and delivering lessons that are stimulating and
- Educating students on lab safety and ensuring all experiments
are carried out responsibly.
- Setting up tests, assignments, and experiments, and grading
- Ensuring appropriate resources and consultation times are
available to students.
- Mentoring and providing support to student teachers.
- Attending staff and parent meetings, conferences, workshops,
and other continuing education programs.
- Informing and preparing students for science fairs and
- Handling various administration functions, which include
updating student records and keeping track of lab supplies, tools,
- Ensuring a safe, healthy classroom environment where learning
can take place.
- Consistently check and respond to official University email
within a timely manner.
- Physical ability to perform the essential functions of the
position, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Note: In compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA),
those functions of the job which are identified essential are
required to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Requests to facilitate the performance of essential functions will
be given careful consideration.
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the
supervisor from assigning duties that logically relate to the
- Ability to handle information of sensitive and confidential
nature in the utmost professional manner. Demonstrate a high level
of professionalism, initiative, resourcefulness, and personal
- Maintain the privacy and confidentiality of information,
protect the assets of the institution, act ethically and with
integrity, and adhere to FMU’s Code of Conduct, policies and
- Effective analytical and decision-making skills. Excellent
communication (oral and written), organizational, and time
management skills. Effective interpersonal skills and ability to
work with diverse constituents.
- Attention to detail, dependable, and adaptability to a changing
- Manage, prioritize, and accomplish multiple tasks/projects
simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling objects of
average weight up to fifty (50) pounds or standing and/or walking
for more than four (4) hours per day.
- A terminal degree in Chemistry or related field.
- Successful completion of a minimum of 18 hours of graduate
coursework in directly related coursework including chemistry,
biochemistry, organic/analytical chemistry or other related
- The ability to provide quality instruction in the academic
- T he potential for peer reviewed research, scholarly and/or
creative accomplishment by representing the University in the
- The potential to have a positive impact through service that
represents the University on campus and within the greater
- Minimum of two years of experience directly related to the
duties and responsibilities specified are required. Higher
education experience is preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, and LinkedIn Learning, as well
as knowledge and understanding of the organizational structure,
workflow, and operating procedures. Familiar with the Jenzabar
technology suite for higher education.
- Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours.
- Pre-Employment screening is required: criminal background check
and drug testing.
Qualified applicants are asked to upload a curriculum vitae,
teaching philosophy, statement of diversity, unofficial transcript,
and/or certifications, if applicable.
In addition to the completed application, candidates must submit a
list of three professional references (at least one from a previous
employer) that includes names and contact information. Review of
application materials will begin ASAP and will continue until the
position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Florida Memorial University is an Equal Employment Opportunity