- TITLE: TELEPHONE OPERATOR & ADMINISTRATIVE
DEPARTMENT: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
REPORTS TO: TECHNICAL SERVICES COORDINATOR
EFFECTIVE DATE: TBD
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: FULL-TIME
EMPLOYMENT CLASSIFICATION: NON-EXEMPT
PRINCIPAL PURPOSE OF JOB: The Telephone Operator and
Administrative Assistant serves as the initial response point for
Kentucky State University. Additionally, this role performs general
administrative duties; ensuring the IT office operates efficiently,
as well as providing basic IT help desk support to KSU users.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
The Telephone Operator and Administrative Assistant serves as the
initial response point for Kentucky State University. This position
receives and directs calls from the university’s main phone number
in a timely, professional and courteous manner. The Telephone
Operator and Administrative Assistant must possess high energy and
have an extremely positive attitude. The individual must be
committed to customer service and have the ability to manage
multiple calls (incoming and outgoing) at one time.
Additionally, this role performs general administrative duties;
ensuring the IT office operates efficiently, as well as providing
basic IT help desk support to KSU users.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Answers incoming calls, determines intent of the callers and
transfers the call to appropriate individuals, departments or
- Assists callers with dialing and provides dialing instructions
and locating individuals, departments, and services offered by the
- Keeps updated on daily campus activities and services.
- Provides information obtained from a variety of sources to
field questions from callers regarding departments, phone numbers,
operational hours, etc.
- Assists in the maintenance and updating of the campus telephone
directory and other IT related documentation and
- Provides a pleasant and helpful experience for callers, guest
and the university community of stakeholders.
- Carries out a range of administrative duties including but not
limited to performing cellular transactions and invoicing review,
procurement processes and maintaining office supplies and
- Provide basic technical support to end-users and escalating
issues to the appropriate IT staff when necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma/GED and 2 years of experience that is directly
related to the duties and responsibilities specified. Attention to
detail and must have the ability to work flexible hours during peak
Previous experience in a customer service or administrative role
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: This position will have no
- Knowledge of telephone consoles and related equipment.
- Knowledge of campus telephone system.
- Knowledge of customer service standards and procedures.
- Ability to speak, read and/or write English.
- Basic to intermediate computer, data entry and Microsoft Office
- Clerical and general office skills.
- Knowledge of international and/or conference call telephone
- Ability to think quickly and handle a high volume of
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability
to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a
diverse community and communicate effective to both technical and
non-technical staff. Must have the ability to work independently as
well as in a team environment.
- Ability to remain calm and consistent in high pressure
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy; good judgment,
discretion, and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Proven work ethic, self-starter who has the ability to
- Ability to take and follow instructions.
- Ability to maintain a strong, positive commitment to customer
- Willingness to learn new technologies and tools as
KENTUCKY STATE UNIVERSITY is an Equal Opportunity
The functions, qualifications, knowledge/skills, and physical
requirements listed in this job description represent the essential
duties of the job, which the incumbent must be able to perform
either with or without reasonable accommodation. The Job Functions
listed do not necessarily include all activities that the
individual may perform.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work
- No or limited physical effort required.
- No or limited exposure to physical risk.