ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT I
Number of Vacancies:
College of Health Professions / Health and
Scope of Job:
To provide skilled and routine administrative support to the head
of a department and the departmental staff and/or faculty in an
academic or non-academic area. Responsible to perform routine
administrative support assignments for a department head. Maintains
routine financial data, which includes monthly budget and status
Description of Duties:
• Provides direct administrative support to the administrator of a
• Types letters, memos, reports, requisitions, and other material
from notes and rough drafts.
• Composes routine correspondence for the signature of the
supervisor which requires knowledge of subject matter and/or
• Handles travel arrangements for supervisor and other office
• Orders supplies and arranges for repair of equipment.
• Reviews bookkeeping information and performs other routine
bookkeeping tasks, including reconciliations.
• May assist in the preparation of budgets, grant requests, class
schedules and other periodic reports.
• May assist in processing various student forms and requests for
the appropriate review and approvals.
• May provide general program information and materials to students
and/or direct students to the appropriate student services
• May assist in coordination, planning, and/or staffing of
departmental meetings and events as needed for outreach,
recruitment & education.
• Processes personnel actions upon direction of the
• Monitors complex records and prepares reports from a variety of
• Monitors expenditures and income against the budgets, maintains
accurate accounting ledgers and facilitates monthly reconciliations
• Maintains departmental and supervisor calendar and prepares daily
• Organizes and maintains filing systems.
• Screens visitors and telephone calls.
• Acts as a receptionist.
• Receives, sorts and distributes mail.
• May track vacation, arrange for back-up coverage and process time
cards for any assigned employees.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Specific supervision from Department Chair or Director of a
Department with less than 10 regular FTE’s.
May supervise assigned support staff and temporary employees.
Associate degree in a related field or experience as outlined
Two (2) year of office administrative experience. Experience may be
substituted for education on a 1-on-1 basis
Experience obtained within higher education.
Knowledge of the use of personal computer, word processing,
spreadsheet, and database software. Standard office
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties.
Excellent, usual office environment; some travel and weekend work
is required. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and/or
a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift,
carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human
Must have excellent interpersonal, organizational, and verbal
Commensurate with Experience
Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date:
Grant Funded Position:
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to
promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all
individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex,
age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In
accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the Civil Rights
Act of 1964, the Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972,
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans
with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is
committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures
non-discrimination in its education programs and activities,
including employment. We encourage women, minorities and
differently abled persons to apply for employment positions of
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Dear Applicant, Human Resources will not be held responsible for
redacting any confidential information from the documents you
attach with your application. The confidential information includes
the following: *Date of Birth *Gender *Ethnicity/Race Please make
sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are
advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application
to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas
Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting
applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after
meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days. If you
have any questions, please visit our Careers site at https://careers.utrgv.edu
detailed contact information.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is
subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background
check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval
from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/38543