Position Title: Assistant Athletics Director for Facilities
and Event Management
Department: Petro Custodial
Campus Location: Washburn University
The screening committee will review all eligible applications
submitted by June 14, 2023
Position Summary: This position is responsible for managing
the daily activities for Washburn University's athletic facilities.
This includes building operations, maintenance, scheduling
activities and event management. Washburn’s athletic facilities
include all athletic buildings, facilities, fields, grounds,
indoor/outdoor areas, hydro works, and a polar plunge across three
campus locations and an off-site golf course.
• Manage daily operations of athletic facilities, ensure the
facilities are cleaned, inspect for needed repairs and provide
• Work with Facility Services and/or outside vendors to ensure
facility maintenance and improvements are conducted following
established procedures. This includes submitting electronic work
orders when needed. Monitor projects and work orders for timely
• Recruit, hire, train and evaluate the performance and
effectiveness of assigned staff and student workers. Provide
feedback and professional development opportunities.
• Supervise, schedule, and coordinate activities for assigned
staff. Monitor work schedules and issues that may arise pertaining
to scheduled events and workload.
• Support assigned staff to maximize employee performance in
support of department goals.
• As a team leader and motivator, maintain a healthy, fair, and
inclusive work environment by promoting diversity and exercising
teamwork. Actively promote a workplace culture of mutual respect
for all members of the institution and work to build positive and
cooperative relationships with staff.
• Responsible for scheduling all athletic facilities for classes
games/matches, practices, and events to ensure equal use by all
• Schedule and organize events and facility rentals in
collaboration with university scheduling and other appropriate
• Assist with game day operations for football, volleyball, soccer,
basketball, indoor track and field, baseball and softball
• Ensure athletic facilities are available and ready for use by
players/ teams for all practices and games.
• Serve as Game Administrator, as required by NCAA when assigned
the task for Indoor Track and Field and Baseball.
• Serve as liaison for all game officials and umpires.
• Serve as an emergency after-hours contact for all athletic
• Lead event preparation ensuring appropriate entities
(concessions, security, cleaning/maintenance) are prepared for
• Collaborate with Assistant Athletics Director for External
Relations to coordinate event staffing needs, assist with pre-game
and half-time promotions, and assist with ensuring proper signage
for corporate sponsors is installed at athletic facilities.
• Coordinate the space, entrance, etc., for the marching band for
football and the pep band for basketball
• Facilitate the maintenance of athletic vehicles, including
recruiting cars, team vans and facility vehicles
• Ensure football suites at Yager Stadium and the booster room in
Petro Allied Health Center are set up and prepared for patron use
• Ensure athletics facilities are available and ready for players
and visitors. Set up game day tailgates as requested.
• Collaborate with Washburn Police to ensure the security of events
and visitors held at athletic facilities.
• Coordinate coverage for reserved parking areas for football and
• Serve as part of the Athletics Department executive team and
actively participate in department meetings.
• Represent the Athletics Department at appropriate university
meetings as needed or requested.
• Assist in planning and development of major capital renovations
and additions to athletic facilities.
• Research and present needed or recommended improvements to
• Assist with budget preparation by monitoring and planning for
• Monitor and service therapy pools in athletics facilities to
ensure proper water quality and functionality.
• Set up and maintain the digital codes for all locker rooms and
• Perform additional job-related duties as requested or as
Bachelor’s degree with two years related experience that includes
setup and event coordination or Master's degree with two years of
graduate level experience including gameday setup and event
Demonstrated knowledge of facilities management. Effective
Driver’s license with a driving record suitable to university
Ability to move and/or maneuver equipment/materials weighing as
much as 50 pounds
Experience coordinating athletic events. Experience managing
Understanding of facility guidelines and best practices for
building scheduling and utilization.
Full time Exempt Mon-Fri
Background Check and Driving History Required