SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO THE COACH-MEN'S BASKETBALL
Number of Vacancies:
Scope of Job:
Assists in the University's Athletics programs to ensure compliance
with all applicable laws and regulations as well as administering
activities and operations related to the applicable sports program.
Responsible for assisting Head Coach with operations, services and
activities associated with the program and student-athletes,
including recruiting of student-athletes, fiscal management,
travel, inventory, marketing, community involvement and applicable
sports duties related to practice and games.
Description of Duties:
• Assists with the identification, recruitment and selection of
quality student-athletes and maintains contact with prospective
• Develops and maintains a diverse and comprehensive network of
contacts to successfully recruit nationally and
• Serves as liaison between sport supervisor including facilities,
marketing and promotions, game operations, ticket and media
• Assists with the development of marketing strategies for
recruiting prospective student-athletes and community
• Assists with alumni and community relations and outreach.
• Manages all logistics of team travel and coordinates, organizes
and collaborates with vendors regarding team travel, meal
arrangements, and team practice sites.
• Monitors student-athletes’ academic progress, performance and
retention to support graduation.
• Oversees day to day expenses and develops projections as it
relates to the applicable sports budgeting process.
• Coordinates all aspects of prospective athlete official visits,
coaches recruiting travel, recruiting weekends, and overall
recruiting coordination within NCAA bylaws.
• Organizes and maintains accurate inventory of applicable sports
equipment and uniforms.
• Oversees marketing, outreach and administrative duties for camp
• Demonstrate knowledge, understanding, and commitment to
University, NCAA, and WAC compliance rules and regulations.
• Tracks prospects and current student athletes in NCAA
Clearinghouse, with NCAA certification, with NCAA satisfactory
progress, and with individual student athlete eligibility.
• Assist with the organization and planning of practice and
• Performs other duties as needed.
Guidance from assigned supervisor.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher
education in a Business related field or a degree including
Business related course work.
Master’s degree from an accredited institution of higher
Three (3) years of collegiate and/or professional level coaching or
NCAA Division 1 Experience.
Personal computer and standard office equipment.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Usual
office environment. Travel is required. Extended hours on weekends
and evening are required.
• Understand and adhere to all policies and procedures of the
University, Conference and the NCAA. Assume complete responsibility
to ensure that the student-athletes conduct themselves in an
appropriate manner in accordance with NCAA policies.
• Understand that violation(s) of NCAA rules could result in
sanctions being placed against the Department of Intercollegiate
Athletics and the University.
• Attend regularly scheduled compliance meetings to maintain
knowledge of current and recently established policies.
• Have familiarity and knowledge of NCAA Division I rules required
as part of job duties.
• Ability to exhibit integrity with high ethical standards and
strict adherence to NCAA, conference, university and departmental
rules and regulations as well as solid commitment to academic
integrity, student-athlete welfare, ethnic diversity and gender
• Possess excellent organizational skills and have attention to
Commensurate with Experience
Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date:
Grant Funded Position:
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to
promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all
individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex,
age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In
accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the Civil Rights
Act of 1964, the Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972,
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans
with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is
committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures
non-discrimination in its education programs and activities,
including employment. We encourage women, minorities and
differently abled persons to apply for employment positions of
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any
confidential information from the documents you attach with your
application. The confidential information includes the
Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to
submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding
your application to the department as per your submission. The
University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to
discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date
of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three
(3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at
(956) 665-2451 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is
subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background
check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval
from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/38523