Position: Payroll Accountant
Department: Human Resources
Campus: North Manchester
Target Hire Date: As soon as possible
The Payroll/HRIS Specialist serves as project manager for the HR department, manages the HRIS software, performs numerous HR compliance and reporting functions, and provides customer service to employees within disciplines of Human Resources in addition to processing complete and accurate payroll which includes processing multiple status changes and managing exceptions. This individual is regarded as the primary leader in Human Resources Information Systems and will lead the HR team in our efforts to optimize the quality of service through accuracy in information systems. This individual maintains open communication with all Manchester University employees and fosters an environment of service, engagement, and growth. This position supports the University’s mission and strategic initiatives.
Essential job functions:
- Process biweekly payroll for faculty, staff, and students, ensuring accuracy and maintaining strict adherence to payroll deadlines with the following skills.
- Information Updating
- Calculation of Time
- Benefit and Deduction Application
- Complete pre-processing tasks including setting up direct deposits, creating batched pay data, and uploading time and attendance data, engaging with supervisors on missed time recording when necessary.
- Ensure all garnishments, etc. are accurately set up, deducted, and remitted.
- Collaborate with Human Resources staff and third-party payroll providers to resolve all payroll issues prior to submitting the payroll for final processing.
- Download and review biweekly and annual reports and filings from the third-party payroll provider.
- Analyze, investigate, and reconcile payroll discrepancies and respond to inquiries regarding payroll and policies.
- Submit biweekly 403(b) contributions on a timely basis.
- Prepare biweekly payroll GL Import files for OFS and reconcile payroll summaries and master control with quarterly wage and tax registers and tax filings.
- Monitor and address stale dated checks; reissuing funds as required. Monthly review of outstanding payroll money orders with OFS; maintaining records of attempted contact and reissuing of funds as required.
- Maintain accurate payroll records in accordance with federal and state regulations, University policies and procedures, and GAAP.
- Maintain a strong comprehension of third-party payroll software.
- Implement new payroll system requirements and revisions.
- Keep abreast of all new laws and regulations affecting payroll processing, identify payroll best practices, and recommend enhancements to current processes.
- Provide support for the financial audit, single audit and the 403(b) audit.
- Provide support for the compensation budget process.
- Document policies, procedures, and workflows for assigned areas of responsibility.
- Participates in developing department goals, objectives, and systems.
- Provides leadership for all HRIS systems, reporting on utilization and capabilities.
- Performs system maintenance, including assisting in the review, testing, and implementation of HRIS system upgrades.
- Ensures collaboration with information technology operations and leads effort to maximize the utilization of all online HR-related systems.
- Enters and maintains all personnel data in HRIS systems and generates reports as needed.
- Establishes an audit process to ensure accuracy within HRIS systems to include:
- Employee & Student data entry
- Making personnel changes
- Updating supervisors/departments
- Consistency in data entry across all HRIS systems
- Creates data query report requests from HRIS systems
- Creates new employee files
- Print appropriate pre-hire documents
- Monitor onboarding/new hire paperwork print for file
- File when complete
- In collaboration with the Director of HR, manages time, labor, and paid time off:
- Provides employee and supervisor training
- Sets up supervisors in the system
- Maintains supervisor back up list
- Helps facilitate New Employee Orientation as needed; Serves as back-up for New Employee Orientation
- Develops user procedures, guidelines, and documentation for the HRIS and Time & Attendance systems.
- Coordinates University’s compensation notification activities. Processes annual employee salary increases and generates increase letters, when applicable. Assists OAA with creation of annual appointment letters.
- Processes all separations of employment.
- Manages all human resources campus surveys including but not limited to: CUPA-HR, IPEDS, AAUP, and COMPDATA.
- Assures the maintenance and integrity of changes made in MU employment files.
- Maintains and updates HR metrics that relate to payroll, turnover, and student hours/payroll costs the HR website and the Manchester University Intranet.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment and benefits laws and regulations.
- Monitors compliance with USCIS Form I-9 Employment Verification using E-IManagement in ADP (E-verify); maintains and audits Forms I-9.
- Assists with the employee recognition program.
- Provides employee trainings as assigned
- Maintains changes to Organizational Chart and posts updated version monthly
- Serves as a customer service point of contact for all disciplines within Human Resources.
- Review student job posting requests from supervisors
- Create and post job openings in Handshake
- Create Instagram posts using Canva; advertise postings in Instagram
- Monitor Student Employment Dashboard for new e-form submissions
- Communicate with new student employees regarding new hire paperwork & onboarding tasks; follow through completion of all items
- Maintain Student Employee Tracking worksheet
- Communicate student employment authorizations to supervisors and students
- Assign applicable trainings in Safe Colleges to students and supervisors as required
- A commitment to fostering an environment of diversity and inclusion among students, faculty, and staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, Human Resources or related discipline is preferred.
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in payroll, or human resources preferred.
- Payroll or Human Resources certification preferred.
- Advanced computer skills, including MS Office Suite and HRIS software, preferably ADP and Colleague.
- Experience writing reports, business correspondence and policies.
- Aptitude for numbers and exceptional commitment to accuracy.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment requiring a high level of confidentiality.
- This individual must have the ability to exhibit excellent customer service, integrity and confidentiality when working with both internal and external customers.
- Ability to operate independently and employ solid decision-making skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain highly effective relationships both internally and externally.
- Ability to influence, communicate, respond and provide support at all levels of the organization.
- Strong detail orientation, critical thinking, time management, organizational skills, and task follow through.
- Knowledge of human resources concepts, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local employment regulations/legislation.
- Ability to exercise confidentiality and discretion.
- Works collaboratively in a team-based environment.
- Ability to organize, review, analyze, and assess written and electronic data.
- Ability to meet a constant stream of deadlines.
- Ability to work extended hours to meet occasional seasonal demands of the office. Position responsibilities may require attendance at specific times of the year.
General information: Manchester University is an independent, liberal arts university with a campus in North Manchester, Ind., where approximately 1,300 students choose from at least 60 areas of undergraduate study, two master's programs, and 21 NCAA Division III varsity sports. Our second campus in Fort Wayne is home to growing health science programs, including athletic training, nursing, nutrition and nutrigenomics, pharmacy, pharmacogenomics, and physical therapy.
Manchester has a distinctive commitment to developing respect for ethnic, cultural, and religious pluralism and international consciousness. Manchester University respects the infinite worth of every individual and graduates persons of ability and conviction who draw upon their education and faith to lead principled, productive, and compassionate lives that improve the human condition. As an institution rooted in the tradition of the Church of the Brethren, Manchester University values learning, faith, service, integrity, diversity, and community.
Work schedule: This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Forty (40) hours per week (8:00 am-5:00 pm) will be the general rule. However, depending on the project cycles and workflow demands of the College, additional hours or workday schedule changes may be required occasionally.
To apply: We seek a candidate with a commitment to working effectively with students, faculty, and staff of diverse backgrounds. The review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Apply online via ADP and upload a cover letter and resume with your completed employment application. Questions can be emailed to HR@manchester.edu.
Manchester University is an equal-opportunity employer.
Applicants who further diversify our faculty and staff are warmly welcome.