ASSOCIATE DEAN - HEALTH SCIENCE AND CAREER PROGRAMS
MALCOLM X COLLEGE
Malcolm X is seeking an Associate Dean for the Health Science and
Career Programs department. Reporting to the Executive Dean -
Health Sciences and Career Programs, the Associate Dean - Health
Sciences and Career Programs works collaboratively with the Dean
and senior leadership in the management of the Health Careers and
Career Programs allied health programs, and the oversight of
faculty and staff.
The mission of Malcolm X College is to provide accessible liberal
arts and health-focused education that fosters personal and
professional achievement. To fulfill this mission, we focus on the
following core values: accountability, community, diversity,
empowerment, learning, and respect. The mission of Malcolm X's
Health Sciences department is to educate the next generation of
professionals in the healthcare and wellness industries while
promoting leadership, lifelong learning, and a commitment to
improve health outcomes for the communities we serve.
The Associate Dean - Health Sciences and Career Programs provides
leadership in the planning, development and implementation of
allied health programs and operations, supporting senior leadership
and faculty and working with external partners to ensure students
receive high-quality instruction and work-based learning
opportunities for in-demand health careers such as dental hygiene,
medical assisting and patient care technician. Performs related
duties as required.
- Provides leadership and coordination in the design,
implementation and continuous improvement of credit and certificate
C2C programs, in alignment with current and emerging industry
- Works collaboratively with faculty and industry partners on
curriculum development and the implementation of courses and
programs, with a focus on teaching excellence, student learning and
success, assessment of outcomes, and the continuous improvement of
- Cultivates productive partnerships with industry and business
partners and maintains day-to-day relationships, working
collaboratively to assess the relevancy of coursework, identify
emerging skills and hiring trends, and to procure new internship
and externship opportunities.
- Administers apprenticeships and internships for programs, and
provides administrative support to practicum programming and
capstone courses required for the completion of various programs.
Identifies and recommends staffing needs to the Dean.
- Interviews and recommends selection of C2C faculty.
- Evaluates faculty and recommends retention or
- Develops and implements a comprehensive orientation program for
faculty and staff, in conjunction with Human Resources at the
college and District level.
- Provides for effective communication between college
administration and faculty to ensure the integrity of the
educational programs, the currency of the offerings, and the
introduction of appropriate new technologies within the
- Pursues and follows through with issues of concern and assists
in resolving problems, including but not limited to student or
faculty complaints, and follows appropriate procedures for their
- Works closely with Department Chairpersons to maintain academic
and logistical operations including course scheduling, faculty
assignment, and ordering of textbooks.
- Supervises faculty and staff and has accountability for
- Promotes and facilitates professional development and
application of new teaching strategies.
- Prepares budgets in cooperation with the Business Office.
- Assists in monitoring budget expenditures; develops and
implements procedures for the request, purchase and maintenance of
instructional equipment and supplies; ensures appropriate inventory
- Works with the Registrar’s Office to facilitate seamless
registration processes for C2C program students consistent with
District policies and procedures.
- Ensures compliance with accreditation standards; participates
in ICCB mandated program reviews, HLC institutional accreditation
activities and accreditation processes for individual C2C
- Within guidelines set by Board/union collective bargaining
agreements, evaluates full- and part-time faculty to ensure
continuity of quality classroom instruction.
- Coordinates and directs the evaluation, review and
implementation of innovative curriculum additions and revisions,
course outlines and syllabi and textbook selection.
- Writes proposals to seek external funding for specific projects
and initiatives that require support beyond the District’s
- Works with the Office of Institutional Effectiveness to plan
and implement research concerning the numbers, status and success
of C2C course offerings; prepares reports and analyses setting
forth progress, adverse trends and makes appropriate
recommendations and/or conclusions.
- Represents the college to community organizations and
participates on district-wide committees. Serves as weekend and/or
evening administrator for the College.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree from an accredited college or
university in a health profession, Education, or Nursing.
- Completion of a Doctorate degree in a health profession or
Nursing discipline strongly preferred (i.e. Ed.D, PhD, Dr.PH, DNP,
- Five years teaching and/or administrative work in a college
setting or healthcare institution, or an equivalent combination of
training and experience.
- Two years of documented successful administrative experience as
Department Chair, Associate Dean, Assistant Dean or Program
Director in a health profession academic program, or an equivalent
combination of supervisory experience in a healthcare
- Previous supervisory experience preferred.
- Experience in health careers higher education accreditation
processes, regulatory compliance, articulation processes and
program review strongly preferred.
- Demonstrate commitment to student success, outcomes-based
education and sensitivity to respond appropriately to the needs of
a diverse population.
- Must be able to work some evenings and weekends.
- Travel in and out of District may be required.
- Ability to work well with employees at all levels of the
organization. Ability to handle situations with tact,
persuasiveness, and diplomacy.
Malcolm X College is a Promising Places to Work in Community
Colleges award winner! The award is given by the National Institute
for Staff and Organizational Development (NISOD), a membership
organization committed to promoting and celebrating excellence in
teaching and leadership at community and technical colleges, and
Diverse: Issues in Higher Education, a leading academic
MXC was recognized for its best-in-class student and staff
recruitment and retention practices, inclusive learning and working
environments, and meaningful community service and engagement
WE OFFER: Excellent health benefits at a low cost; Investment plans
403(b) & 457(b); SURS Retirement Plan; Generous vacation,
holidays, personal and sick days; Tuition Reimbursement and Public
Service Loan Forgiveness. For a more detailed overview of benefits
please visit our benefits page.
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within
6 months of hire.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!