Open Until Filled
Research Assistant II
Department this Position Reports to
Dartmouth Cancer Center (DCC)
Hiring Range Minimum
Hiring Range Maximum
Not an SEIU Position
Regular Full Time
Scheduled Months per Year
Scheduled Hours per Week
Monday – Friday; 8am – 5pm with flexibility for occasional evenings
or weekends as driven by the research.
Location of Position
Remote Work Eligibility?
Is this a term position?
If yes, length of term in months.
Is this a grant funded position?
As part of a newly developed shared resource, this position will
independently or with limited guidance, set up and conduct a
variety of experiments and laboratory tests in support of cancer
research. The position will perform tests and procedures to
facilitate cancer related research in multiple laboratories calling
upon various scientific techniques and skills. Research will be
conducted in alignment with research plans and will cover a wide
breadth of topics from mechanisms to therapeutics, techniques to
digital health, and more. This position is laboratory based and
will routinely work with equipment, conduct tests, and maintain lab
space and inventory.
If you are looking to grow your laboratory skills, envision
yourself as part of a startup facility that you be a part of
growing and can grow with, then consider a role with our new shared
resource specializing in cancer research.
We are looking for candidates across multiple roles and laboratory
skill levels. Ideal candidates will have a combination of education
and experience that makes them adept and comfortable in the
laboratory as well as a willingness to learn and flexibility.
Multiple candidates will be hired, and individual candidates need
not be proficient in all techniques. This position is expected to
hire two (2) candidates.
Required Qualifications - Education and Yrs Exp
Required Qualifications - Skills, Knowledge and
Education & Experience:
Skills & Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree and 1 to 3 years of experience.
- Proven experience in data collection and management.
Education & Experience:
- Knowledge of computers and software applications, ability to
learn new applications as needed.
- Ability to work independently and apply critical thinking.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Highly competent in general laboratory methods, procedures, and
- Ability to manage laboratory inventory and records.
- Editorial skills for preparation of reports.
- Willingness to work with/be exposed to hazardous materials such
as radioactive materials, infectious materials, and/or hazardous
- Knowledge of standard computer software packages for data
analysis and presentation, and online literature search
Skills & Knowledge:
- Master’s degree or equivalent combination of education and
experience in one of the major biological sciences.
Department Contact for Recruitment Inquiries
- Experience with animal colonies and husbandry.
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to independently design, plan, implement, troubleshoot,
and administer research work and to ensure that it address the
major specific aims of research projects.
Ron Hirte cc: Alicea Bursey
Department Contact Phone Number
Department Contact for Cover Letter and Title
Department Contact's Phone Number
Equal Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We
prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex,
age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any
other legally protected status. Applications by members of all
underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and
successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which
may include a criminal background check, reference checks,
verification of work history, and verification of any required
academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results
acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not
automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background
check information will be used in a confidential,
non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal
Is driving a vehicle (e.g. Dartmouth vehicle or off road
vehicle, rental car, personal car) an essential function of this
Preferred, but not required
Special Instructions to Applicants
This position is funded by a grant. Continuation is based upon
Dartmouth College has a Tobacco-Free Policy. Smoking and the use of
tobacco-based products (including smokeless tobacco) are prohibited
in all facilities, grounds, vehicles or other areas owned, operated
or occupied by Dartmouth College with no exceptions. For details,
please see our policy. https://policies.dartmouth.edu/policy/tobacco-free-policy
Applicants should include a list of skills/techniques (e.g., flow
cytometry, Western Blot, PCR, tissue culture/harvest, colony work,
etc.) and rank their proficiency and comfort in those areas.
Ranking of proficiency can be identified with the following:
beginner (some experience), intermediate, advanced.
Percentage Of Time
- Independently sets up and monitors experiments in
- Identifies, troubleshoots, and corrects or recommends solutions
to problems associated with experimental design; methods,
procedures, and techniques; or equipment and facilities.
- As necessary, develops and/or implements new or modified
research methods, procedures, and techniques to meet the unique
requirements of assigned research problems.
- Adheres to laboratory safety requirements including general and
chemical/hazardous waste safety disposal methods.
- Assists in the maintenance of animal colonies including
weighing, establishing mating pairs, and data entry.
- Cell culture, flow cytometry, immune monitoring, assays,
Western blot, qPCR, histology, pathology, etc.
- Rodent handling including colony maintenance, injections,
gavage, tumor cell inductions.
- Willingness and ability to cross train in Shared Resources
including light microscopy, molecular biology, genomics, immune
Percentage Of Time
- Collects, analyzes, and interprets data resulting from
- Performs literature searches to develop information of
relevance to the research.
- Prepares appropriate and understandable representations of data
such as sequences, graphs, charts, etc.
- Participates in the preparation of reports and presentation of
the research findings.
Percentage Of Time
- Schedules and monitors utilization of laboratory facilities,
equipment, and supplies.
- Monitors equipment and instrument performance; obtains
necessary maintenance and repair.
- Orders and maintains stock of laboratory supplies.
- May provide technical direction to laboratory technicians and
- Monitors work in progress to ensure accomplishment is timely
and in accordance with reasonable methods and standards.
- Instructs others in laboratory methods, procedures, and
techniques and provides technical guidance and direction as
- May assist in surgical procedures.
Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural
awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with
Performs other duties as assigned.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Talent Acquisition Consultant
- American Library Association
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Dartmouth College Employment Website
- Internal Employee Referral (Please specify full name
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed Jobs
- National Black MBA Association
- Recruit Military
- Valley News
- Other (Please specify below)
- If you answered, 'Internal Employee Referral' or 'Other' to the
above question, please specify here:
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Additional Document #1
- Additional Document #2