S UMMARY :
Under direct supervision, performs various duties relating to the
health and safety of persons and property at Carthage College.
Patrols the College campus at designated areas and times while
adhering to established procedures and policies for handling a wide
variety of situations. Work hours typically include evenings,
weekends, and holiday hours on a scheduled basis.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS :
MINIMUM EDUCATION :
- Patrols College property at designated times and location on
both foot and by vehicle, making periodic inspections of building
and grounds. During a patrol; identifies suspicious situations,
investigates, and acts to prevent problems.
- Uses patrol time to protect College property and equipment
against fire, theft, damage, illegal entry, and/or threats.
- Reports unsafe conditions or practices to appropriate leaders
for handling. Follow-up to ensure resolution as requested.
- Responds to medical, fire, and personal emergencies involving
visitors or members of the College community; students, faculty,
staff, and contract workers.
- Utilize additional resources and/or members of the campus
community to make the appropriate decisions when necessary.
- Proactively communicates with Public Safety, College
administration, local police departments, and any additional
resources and/or members as needed regarding any potential issues
- Directs traffic and performs event control as needed with the
requirements of events and participants while balancing the needs
of the College to ensure a safe experience for all.
- Assists and directs campus visitors by providing guidance and
general information while maintaining to promote a safe and
positive culture for the campus.
- Assists the members of the campus community with lock-out
vehicle issues upon request.
- Prepares and submits written reports of activities while
providing sufficient detail to allow for sound decision-making by
all parties involved and other administrative tasks as
- Works collaboratively with all members of the Public Safety
Department with the goal of accomplishing the Department and
- Attends training, additional education, Public Safety
Department meetings, and participates in administrative and
judicial hearings as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
A High School Diploma or GED is required. Additional education,
particularly in law enforcement or campus security is
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE :
- Ability to work with a wide range of personalities while
maintaining a balance of service and compliance with the College’s
- Must be reliable and report to work on time on a daily
- Strong detail oriented.
- Ability to quickly assess a situation and determine an
- Ability to adhere to established procedures and policies.
- Ability to professionally and respectively communicate with a
- Basic computer skills.
Founded in 1847, Carthage College combines an environment of
reflection and self-discovery with a culture of high expectation,
so that our students uncover and ignite their true potential. As a
four-year private liberal arts college with roots in the Lutheran
tradition, we place a strong emphasis on both moral and
intellectual values. Our prime location in Kenosha, Wisconsin,
midway between Chicago and Milwaukee, allows students the
opportunity to learn in a professional context. Our beautiful
campus, an 80-acre arboretum on the shore of Lake Michigan is home
to 150 scholars, 2,600 full-time students, and 400 part-time
students. Our rich academic experience equips students with
foundational knowledge and skills, preparing graduates to be
lifelong learners and to lead meaningful, productive lives.
Carthage College is an equal opportunity employer (EOE)
dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse community.
We welcome applications from a broad spectrum of people, including
members of ethnic minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with
disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex,
gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation,
national origin, protected veteran status or status as an
individual with a disability.