Job Vacancy Announcement
Manager, Kitchen and Catering
AUXILIARY SRVS AND EVENT MGMT
Full Time or Part Time
Hiring Salary Range
Fixed Term/Tenure Track (Faculty Only)
Regular or Temporary
Job Description Summary
The Kitchen/Catering Coordinator oversees all kitchen and catering
functions to ensure these areas run smoothly and complies with
safety and sanitation regulations. Duties include (but not limited
to) food purchase, preparing catering menus, monthly cost reports,
monitor inventory levels and perform weekly inventory
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Associate degree in Culinary Arts, Hospitality, Food Service
Management or related Culinary/Hospitality field is required.
- Food Safety Certification Required (ServSafe)
- Four years full-time, or equivalent part-time experience in
Culinary Arts, Food service operations or related is required
- Strong knowledge of the food service industry with special
emphasis on catering and events
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and problem-solving
- Strong customer service skills: good judgement and initiative
and ability to work independently
- Able to work in a team environment
- Ability to communicate with diverse populations, including
negotiations with businesses
- Ability to anticipate changing markets and flexible enough to
adapt to them
- Ability to obtain food handlers license from Prince George’s
County Health Department within 90 days of hire.
- Ability to multitask.
The following criteria, which are not the sole
criteria used in the final hiring decision, will be used to review
the applications of those persons who meet the stated minimum
qualifications and to select those qualified applicants who will be
interviewed. Other information and observations made during the
interview process may be considered in the selection process. A
Resume/CV and cover letter are required with the application.
Please ensure that your documents address the criteria listed below
for this position.
- Ensure all food products and supplies are ordered in a timely
manner and integrate into PGCC culinary curriculum needs.
- Control food cost and usage by following proper requisition of
products from storage areas, product storage procedures, standard
recipes and waste control procedures
- Ensure the quality and quantity of food, check Food Provider
and other vendors orders are correct at delivery.
- Audit food inventory levels and ensure product availability are
in line with PGCC faculty curriculum usage while avoiding
- Participates in the assessment of food products as it pertains
to PGCC kitchen lab classes, make recommendations, as
- Recipe Costing (keeping track of food costs from food provider
and or vendor) by following proper requisition of food products;
budgeting and food cost evaluation.
- Ordering Stock (order food service items, material and supplies
keeping up with prices and buying from food providers vendors.
- Ensure online (Food Vendor) orders are fulfilled timely and
- Coordinates weekly delivery from Food providers or other
vendors to Culinary Arts Center; create schedule for the delivery
driver to Culinary Arts Center, as needed.
- Ensure kitchen labs are maintained at a high level of quality
for instructional usage.
- Implement and execute in-house catering events with students
and faculty to include logistics, quality, delivery, and food
ordering for events.
- Work as a co-sponsor for the Hospitality and Culinary Club
- Communicate daily with management, internal customers;
maintains excellent relationships with internal partners to
included events management team.
- Create/customize catering menus based upon customer’s
preferences and dietary requirements.
- Preparing and storing of food safety before, during and after
all in-house catering events.
- Ensure availability of catering stock, supplies and ordering
- Researching catering trends and promoting competitive catering
- Recruit/staff as needed for catering events
- Available during all catering events, overseeing venue,
equipment, food, and service preparations.
- Supervise and manage staff in the food preparation, food orders
and catering events, maintaining a fully-stocked kitchen inventory
and complying with safety and cleanliness standards.
- Coordinate prices and development of contracts for clients
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Must have the use of sensory skills to effectively communicate and
interact with other employees and the public using the telephone
and personal contact as normally defined by the ability to see,
read, talk, hear, handle or feel objects and controls. Physical
capability to effectively use and operate various items of office
related equipment, such as, but not limited to a, personal
computer, calculator, copier, and fax machine. No significant
climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing,
walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive
Is Background Check Required?
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written
- As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present
acceptable documentation showing your identity and that you are a
U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
- A background investigation will be conducted prior to the offer
of employment. A signed authorization for the release of personal
information will be required if selected for an interview.
Is the incumbent responsible for working with minor children or
directly engaging with minor children on campus?
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Background Check Statement
Prince George’s Community College is committed to providing a safe
campus community. PGCC conducts background investigations for
applicants being considered for employment. Background
investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record
check, education verification, and when appropriate, a financial
(credit) report or driving history check.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Effective August 8, 2022, Prince George’s Community College’s
current vaccine mandate will expire for students, faculty, and
staff. Select exceptions may apply. Face coverings will be
voluntary campus-wide, including in classrooms and instructional
spaces. Although the College will no longer require new employees
and students to be vaccinated as a condition of employment or
instruction based on current public health conditions, COVID -19
vaccines and boosters are strongly recommended.
; you will receive an email
acknowledging receipt of your application, upon which time no
further communication occurs unless selected for an interview or
the position is filled. If recommended for hire, communication is
immediately sent to your references listed on your application.
Also, you will receive an email notification from HireRight
requesting you to submit authorization to complete a background
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a minimum of an Associate's degree in Culinary
Arts, Hospitality, Food Service Management or related
- * Do you have your Food Safety Certification (ServSafe)?
- * Do you have four years full-time, or equivalent part-time
experience in Culinary Arts, Food service operations or related?
- * Please be advised that as required by the 1986 Immigration
Act, candidates must be prepared to present acceptable
documentation showing identity and that you are a U.S. Citizen or
an alien who is authorized to work. It is the college's policy that
PGCC does not provide sponsorship for prospective employees. Will
you require sponsorship to work in the United States?
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- HigherEd Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Personal Referral
- PGCC Website
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook)
- The Chronicle of Higher Ed
- The Washington Post
- Other: Please indicate below
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity? If you
selected 'Other' please indicate source:
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1