About Massachusetts College of Liberal
At MCLA, we're here for all - and focused on each - of our
students. As a 2023 Top Ten Public Liberal Arts College, classes
are taught by educators who care deeply about teaching, and about
seeing their students thrive on every level of their lives. Nearly
93% of our graduates land competitive jobs or are accepted by some
of the best grad schools in the country. We engage in the most
nationally relevant conversations by hosting some of the most
celebrated thinkers and speakers on our campus in the Berkshires of
Massachusetts, an area known for its mountain ranges, hiking
trails, and panoramic views. Our home town of North Adams is
brimming with creative energy and the regional economy is booming
as a result. In nearly every way possible, the experience at MCLA
is designed to elevate you as an individual, a leader, and a
communicator, fully empowered to make your impression on the
The Admission Counselors (Staff Assistant) shall support all
aspects of the undergraduate recruitment efforts of the College,
including, but not limited to, the planning, organization of
recruitment travel, application review, and new student
DETAILED STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for managing assigned travel schedule and territory
including organizing and scheduling travel activities by contacting
high schools, confirming the College's representation and making
- Represents the College at various recruitment activities for
the purpose of recruiting students to the College. This includes
college night programs, high school visits, mini high school fairs
and more within the scope of travel territory.
- Meets with prospective students and conducts individual
interviews and group information sessions.
- Responsible for identifying opportunities to develop
relationships with high school and college counselors to enhance
and open opportunities for new first year students.
- Oversight of activities to include on campus as well as off
campus events to encourage prospective first year student
enrollment and school/college counselor awareness of MCLA's
Outreach and Communication
- Evaluates undergraduate applicants from territory in accurate
and timely fashion, reviews academic credentials/calculates grade
point average and renders admissions decisions as mandated by the
College's admission standards. Responsible for follow-up and
advising of students through admission process.
- Utilizes student records system/admissions tracking to maintain
application data in an accurate manner, including updating
admissions decisions and statistical characteristics.
- Manages awarding of scholarships within recruitment territory,
including merit based and foundation scholarships.
- Utilizes and becomes adept with the admissions Customer
Relations Management software (CRM) to aid in outreach to all
- Collects, edits and disseminates information for distribution
to prospective students. Assists in research activities to assist
in understanding student trends, needs and interests.
- Performs other duties relative to supporting and developing
programs to increase new student enrollment at MCLA including other
admission support as needed.
- Assists in the off-hour coverage/supervision of student
callers/admissions ambassadors as needed.
- Assists other staff members with phone/office coverage when
- Serves as tour guide to prospective students, as needed.
- Assist with campus and community programs and events.
- Opportunities to be involved with committee work.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively throughout the
- (8-10 weeks in the fall and some spring travel)
- Strong written and oral communication skills, public speaking
- Quantitative skills and the ability to analyze data for
purposes of admissions recruitment.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Ability to work effectively with others to meet institutional
- Creatively and accurately articulate the goals of a liberal
- Familiarity with MCLA and program offerings.
- Valid driver's license.
There are 2 openings for Admission Counselor. These are full-time,
benefits-eligible, positions in the APA bargaining unit. Salary
range is $36,000-$39,000.
It is the policy of Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts that
all employees be vaccinated against COVID-19 before they begin
employment. Proof of the COVID-19 vaccine, including booster, is
required of all individuals hired by MCLA, to be verified after an
offer of employment has been made, and as part of the background
check process. Prospective employees may submit a request for
exemption based on a religious and/or medical basis, to Human
Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts complies with the Americans
with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide reasonable accommodations to
qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. Should you
need to request a reasonable accommodation for the application
process, please email Barbara Chaput
, Chief Human Resources
Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts is deeply committed to
fostering a community of excellence, equity, diversity, and
inclusion. We provide equal access to educational, co-curricular
and employment opportunities for all applicants, students, and
employees regardless of race, color, religion, national origin,
age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity,
gender expression, genetic information, marital or parental status,
veteran status, or membership in any other legally protected class.
Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts does not discriminate on the
basis of sex in any educational program or activity that they
operate, which extends to admission and employment.
Inquiries about Title IX, Equal Opportunity, or ADA/504 and other
non-discrimination policies may be directed to MCLA's Title IX
Coordinator and Equal Opportunity Officer, to the Assistant
Secretary of the Department of Education Office for Civil Rights,
Title IX Coordinator and Equal Opportunity Officer
375 Church Street, North Adams, MA 01247
Phone: (413) 662-5127
U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights
33 Arch Street, 9th Floor Boston, MA 02119-1424
Telephone: (617) 289-0111; FAX: (617) 289-0150; TDD (877)
Deadline for applications is June 26, 2023.
Interested candidates must apply electronically and should submit a
letter of interest and resume by clicking on the APPLY NOW