Overview & Scope:
Georgia Tech is seeking an outstanding individual with exceptional academic, strategic, and interpersonal skills to join the Office of the Vice Provost for Graduate and Postdoctoral Education leadership team as an Assistant Vice Provost for Graduate Education and Executive Director of Graduate Admissions. This individual will be a thought leader for graduate education, focusing on creating high-quality and inclusive admissions and enrollment services. This individual will also represent the office across the Institute, and with our peer institutions, and sponsoring employers and partners.
The Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Education provides critical support to 26,000 graduate students and 350-450 postdoctoral scholars and to almost 100 graduate degree programs. Graduate Education is composed of two units, Graduate Admissions and Student and Academic Affairs. Together, these units manage the Institute-level graduate admission and enrollment processes, including graduate student orientation programming, holding information and networking events, managing fellowships, and overseeing student employment and other academic policy processes. This assistant vice provost position will have direct management of the Office of Graduate Admissions and is expected to provide leadership for the initiatives, functions, and processes for all Graduate Education.
Specific duties of the position include (but are not necessarily limited to):
• Manage the Graduate Admissions Office, including a staff of 22 professionals who handle graduate central recruitment and admissions processes for over 35,000 applications received each year.
• Develop programs and provide resources for academic programs on best practices, admissions policies, system changes, campus visits, and tours, as well as cultivate expertise in recruitment, Holistic Admissions, and removing bias.
• Provide access, training, and data governance as the data steward for graduate student information systems, admissions systems, records retention, and communications contact lists.
• Develop and implement short-term and long-term strategies to support the goals of the Georgia Tech Strategic Plan as they relate to graduate education: diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives in recruitment and retention; expanding access; degree completion; graduate student experience; and engagement and well-being.
• Serve as the primary liaison for Graduate Education with campus units including the Graduate Academic Programs Office of International Education, Bursar, Financial Aid, Student Engagement and Well-being, GT Human Resources, colleges, and academic programs.
• Oversee budget management and assessment for Graduate Education.
• Run the internal competition for the Provost’s Fund for Excellence in Graduate Studies (PEGS).
• Respond to inquiries and provide assistance regarding Institute and Board of Regents policies and processes related to graduate students.
• Organize regular meetings with Academic Program Coordinators and Directors of Graduate programs to share resources, policies, best practices, and training; and to receive feedback on improvements for the processes and advocacy.
• Create and maintain resources for faculty, staff, and students on the Grad Education website and newsletters that include information on policies, program, and resources.
• Represent the Vice Provost in meetings as needed.
• Complete special projects at the direction of the VPGPE leadership; and
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
Appointment and Reporting Structure:
• This is a faculty position with expected full-time administrative duties open to current Georgia Tech tenure or non-tenure track faculty and to external candidates seeking a non-tenure track position. Tenure for external candidates who currently hold tenure elsewhere may be considered in exceptional cases with the support of a Georgia Tech academic unit.
• The exact Faculty rank will depend on the education, experience, and specialization of the selected candidate.
• The ranks of the Academic Professional at Georgia Tech include Associate Academic Professional, Academic Professional, Senior Academic Professional, and Principal Academic Professional.
• This position will report to the Vice Provost for Graduate and Postdoctoral Education.
o A terminal degree of Ph.D., Ed.D., or other equivalent distinction is required for this faculty position.
o Ten or more years combined experience in instruction, administration, or higher education research in a university setting.
o Five or more years of experience in program management and supervision.
o Activities that support the Institute’s commitment to inclusive excellence.
The Assistant Vice Provost for Graduate Education and Executive Director of Graduate Admissions is a faculty position. The exact rank will depend on the education, experience, and specialization of the selected candidate. The ranks of the Academic Professional at Georgia Tech include Associate Academic Professional, Academic Professional, Senior Academic Professional, and Principal Academic Professional.
More information about Academic Professionals can be found at: https://www.policylibrary.gatech.edu/faculty-handbook/3.2.2-non-tenure-track-academic-faculty-members-hiring-and-promotion-guidelines
This is an Open Rank solicitation. The exact rank will depend on the education, experience, and specialization of the selected candidate.
o Experience in budget management.
o Experience in data-based decision-making, including student success metrics, program assessment, and continuous improvement.
o Experience with application platforms -, particularly SLATE, and customer relationship management tools.
o Effective verbal and written communication skills, time management, and organizational skills.
Required Documents to Attach:
Initial screening of applicants will begin 05/22/2023 and continue until the position is filled. When submitting the application please include a:
1. Cover Letter: that addresses your qualifications for this position.
3. References: names, titles, and contact information (email, phone) for five professional references
4. All documents in a single PDF file save as your lastname_firstname.
5. The selection process will include passing a pre-employment background check and submission of official transcripts.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications within the range of $130,000 and $160,000.
Contact Information: For additional information about this job opening, please contact Jaydale C Poyotte at email@example.com.
Georgia Tech provides equal opportunity to all faculty, staff, students, and all other members of the Georgia Tech community, including applicants for admission and/or employment, contractors, volunteers, and participants in institutional programs, activities, or services. Georgia Tech complies with all applicable laws and regulations governing equal opportunity in the workplace and in educational activities. Georgia Tech prohibits discrimination, including discriminatory harassment, on the basis of race, ethnicity, ancestry, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or veteran status in its programs, activities, employment, and admissions. This prohibition applies to faculty, staff, students, and all other members of the Georgia Tech community, including affiliates, invitees, and guests.