ESL Faculty and Language Faculty, Part-Time
Harold Washington College
Immerse Yourself in a New World! Live the Language! The World
Languages Department at Harold Washington College offers classes in
Chinese, French, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, and specialized
courses for heritage Spanish Learners. Harold Washington College is
currently seeking part-time
Faculty to teach one or more
courses during an upcoming term. The ideal candidate will have a
passion for teaching and learning, commitment to the college
mission, and a record of demonstrated success in the classroom in
supporting and cultivating student learning. If you are interested
in working in a fast-paced environment and enjoy working with
students, consider joining our team.
We are seeking instructors for:
- ESL Reading, Writing, Grammar, Listening & Speaking;
- Design courses to meet learning outcomes and promote students’
active participation in their own learning.
- Create an effective learning environment that fosters students’
intellectual curiosity and helps students to problem solve using
discipline-specific thinking strategies.
- Employ a variety of formative and summative assessments to
ensure that classroom instruction leads to student learning and the
attainment of the student learning outcomes for the course.
- Help students reach their academic, personal and career goals
and foster a safe environment that respects the diversity of people
and ideas by modeling respect for all students and conveying
confidence in every student’s ability to learn.
- Contribute to and provide leadership in the student’s academic
and professional communities, and promote collaboration and
teamwork among members of these communities.
- Qualifying Academic Credentials: Credentialing for specific
courses is determined by college policy. Generally, a Masters
degree in the subject or a Masters plus 18 graduate credit hours in
a related discipline allows an individual to teach within a
specific academic area. Eligibility to teach is determined by
transcripts, catalog course descriptions, and/or documentation from
the granting institution that clarifies the content in the major is
appropriate for the teaching assignment.
Discipline specific credentials are currently stated in academic
policy as follows:
- ESL Courses : M. A. in Linguistics or Teaching English
as a Second Language (T.E.S.L.) M. Ed. with a specialization in
ESL/Bilingual Education and ISBE ESL endorsement with five or more
years of experience may be considered.
- M.Ed. with a specialization in ESL/Bilingual Education and ISBE
ESL M.A. Linguistics or M.A. TESL/TEFL;
- Italian Courses : M. A. in Italian or Master’s degree
with 18 graduate credit hours in Italian and demonstrated
- Spanish Courses : M. A. in Spanish or Master’s degree
with 18 graduate credit hours in Spanish and demonstrated
- Knowledge of Brightspace and Zoom, preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to
communicate with a diverse group of staff and students
- Experience with a diverse, multilingual student population is
desired, as is a commitment to the open access mission of the
For consideration, please submit the following (as uploaded
attachments—please do not paste into application):
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago.
- Cover letter
- Resume or curriculum vitae (with two references)
- Transcript (Unofficial copies are acceptable initially, but
official transcripts are required prior to hire)
Harold Washington College, located at 30 East Lake Street in
Chicago's Loop, is a student-centered institution that empowers all
members of its community through accessible and affordable academic
advancement, career development and personal enrichment. At HWC,
employees contribute to the success of our students while enjoying
competitive compensation and outstanding benefits packages. Build
your future at City Colleges of Chicago and ensure more students
complete their curricula - college-ready, career-ready and prepared
to pursue their life’s goals. This is an exciting time in the
history of City Colleges of Chicago (CCC), District 508, the
largest community college system in Illinois and one of the largest
in the nation.