Assistant Manager, Custodial Services
Location: Facility Srv: Custodial Shop
Job ID: 607255
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
NAU aims to be the nation's preeminent engine of opportunity, vehicle of economic mobility, and driver of social impact by delivering equitable postsecondary value in Arizona and beyond.
***This position is open to current regular, benefit-eligible NAU employees ONLY. (Temporary employees, student workers, variable-hour benefit-eligible employees, and other non-regular employees are not eligible to apply).***
- The successful candidate will be required to work 6am till 3pm - Monday through Friday. This position is also in an On-Call rotation, which consists of one week of On-Call duties. Employees work in areas/buildings as assigned, which will change based on business need.
- This position is an on-site position which requires the incumbent to complete their work primarily at an NAU site, campus, or facility with or without accommodation. Opportunities for remote work are rare.
- Travel between campus locations is a regular part of the position. Arizona Administrative Code Fleet Safety Policy requires all employees who drive, on university business to pass an online defensive driving course and submit their driver's license number for periodic records review. The law affects all faculty, staff and students who drive any university-owned motorized vehicles. For more information on NAU Authorized Driver Policy.
- Employees of Facility Services are considered essential staff and must report to work when the university is closed for emergencies. This position is required to participate in on-call, call back duties and snow removal, which can include days, nights, weekends, and holidays. Under established circumstances will respond to emergency dispatch calls within set timeframes Administrative or Campus Living buildings.
Under the general direction of the Housing Custodial Manager, the Assistant Manager, Custodial is a member of the Custodial Services Management Team. The Assistant Manager works closely with other Facility Services trades and the students and staff of NAU. This position supervises the daily activities of custodial staff, such as work assignments, training, quality assurance, and inventory control to ensure an effective work unit.
This position exists to aid and advise the Assistant Director of Campus Operations in fulfilling the Facility Services' mission to the University by practicing sustainable maintenance and operations methods, supervising a team of custodians ensuring clean, healthy and safe living and working environments, providing superior customer service to the Campus community, adopting industry best practices, and empowering the custodial workforce. This position works 6am till 3pm - Monday through Friday
Personnel Supervision and Management - 40%
- Takes an active leadership role in directing and supervising department personnel.
- Participates in planning, coordinating, and prioritizing staffing of work activities for the custodial work force.
- Monitors and supervises the activities of the custodial team by setting clear expectations and utilizing quality checks to ensure a consistent quality of cleaning.
- Monitors the inspection of buildings and facilities to ensure all standards are being met.
- Responsible for preparing and payroll documents, work orders, material orders, equipment and other Custodial records, documentation and submit reports as required.
- Assists subordinates with personnel problems involving custodial workers.
- Makes recommendations for hiring, firing, performance evaluation, training, work allocation, and problem resolution.
Planning and Scheduling - 15%
- Provide management, day to day direction, and leadership to the area custodians.
- Develop employee work schedules, team assignments, and equipment usage plans to ensure the use of resources available.
- Demonstrate dedication to the development of sustainable operations and maintenance practices.
- Participates in establishing and scheduling major custodial projects.
- Maintains records on employees, equipment, and maintenance activities.
Customer Service - 10%
- Provide superior customer service to the campus community.
- Responsible for initiating measures to improve customer service within the area, Custodial Services, and Facility Services.
- Takes a proactive role in promoting and supporting Facility Services mission and vision.
Employee Training and Development - 10%
- Responsible for employee development through consistent safety and industry skills training.
- Consistently plans, schedules, and delivers training programs throughout the annual calendar.
- Develop team member individualize and create training plans to ensure that employees achieve the established goals.
- Participates in the hiring, onboarding, and training of new custodial employees.
- Ensures adherence to established university and departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance programs, and safety standards.
Budgetary Policies and Procedures - 5%
- Responsible for monitoring area purchases, ensuring a sufficient inventory of materials, supplies, equipment are maintained and available as needed for both regular work activities and possible emergencies.
- Maintains lower operating costs, this includes hands-on cleaning when needed.
- Participates in budget preparation and recommends the purchase of equipment and supplies; manages expenses in accordance with the budget.
- Adhering and complying with university policies and procedures manual and department policies and procedures.
Other - 5%
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Degree.
- 2-4 years of relevant experience.
- Any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of cleaning equipment, products, techniques, and safety standards applicable to the position.
- Develops and participates in a training program which familiarizes custodial staff with particular problems involved in custodial services including improved techniques.
- Inspects buildings, rooms, storage space, hallways, fixtures, and custodial equipment to observe the results of work.
- Cleans classrooms, residence halls, hallways, lobbies, lab rooms and or offices of assigned buildings on the campus.
- Monitors the activities of subordinates in the current best practices for custodial tasks floor care, restroom cleaning, and of furniture, and equipment.
- Initiates work orders for repair/maintenance.
- Reports malfunctions of bathroom fixtures, light fixtures and/or damages to room and hall furnishings.
- Observe all departmental/university safety rules, policies and regulations related to the efficient and safe performance of job duties.
- Manage stock of supplies for supervision area placing orders, restocking, and anticipating needs.
- May shovel and remove snow and ice from designated areas such as sidewalks, and entryways as required.
- Ability to lift/move heavy objects up to 50 lbs.
- Moves furniture, equipment or fixtures as required.
- Washes windows and other glass as required
- Locks and unlocks doors as directed
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting. If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Salary range begins at $45,647. Annual salary commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is non-exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). The incumbent is eligible for overtime pay or compensatory time according to University policy. Further, the employee must submit timesheets that accurately reflect all hours worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
May 30, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process, please contact the Disability Resources Office at 928-523-8773, DR@nau.edu, or PO Box 5633, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
Know Your Rights Poster
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=607255&PostingSeq=1