The Associate Dean for Undergraduate Medical Education (ADUME) for the School of Medicine will support the Dean for Undergraduate Medical Education to oversee the educational programs leading to the MD degree. The ADUME will ensure that the MD degree granting course-of-study is delivered in an educationally sound manner to produce well-trained, ethical, and culturally sensitive physicians capable of pursuing graduate medical education in their chosen specialty. The educational program is to be consistent with the mission and vision of New York Medical College and Touro University, cognizant of our institutions’ institutional culture, and shall meet and exceed all accreditation requirements of the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME). The ADUME is to be cognizant of delivering an educational program in a cost- and time-efficient manner.
The ADUME will provide support for the following LCME-mandated initiatives: curriculum integration, inter-professional education, educational technology and flipped-classroom modalities, and case-based curriculum to promote self-directed and lifelong learning.
Other responsibilities will be to support the Dean for Undergraduate Medical Education to oversee the undergraduate medical student elective and develop concentration programs. This individual will also interface with subordinates responsible for basic science and clinical education to further develop new teaching and assessment modalities to address new accreditation mandates to promote longitudinal clinical education and development of entrustable professional activities.
- Oversee course and clerkship programs in the SOM. This includes, but is not limited to, curriculum development, vertical and horizontal integration of curriculum themes, student assessment, and program evaluation. Particular attention will be paid to the integration of active learning strategies, novel educational technology, and simulation modalities into the curriculum.
- Provide leadership and guidance for the course directors, clerkship directors, and program directors for transition programs, the areas of concentration program, and electives courses in the SOM.
- Promote and maintain compliance with LCME and Middle States accreditation.
- Foster an overall effective relationship with accreditation agencies.
- Oversee and coordinate peer review of courses and clerkships and ensure that appropriate reporting records are maintained. These reviews will include:
- Review of the objectives and content of each course and clerkship, methods of pedagogy and student evaluations to ensure congruence with program objectives.
- Monitoring of the content and workload in each discipline identifying omissions and unplanned redundancies.
- Horizontal and vertical integration of curricular content.
- Ensuring the logical sequencing of the various elements of the complete curriculum.
- Collaborate with the offices of student affairs, admissions, faculty affairs, affiliated hospital sites, and all departments to advance the educational mission of the SOM.
- Provide support and guidance to the Education and Curriculum Committee (ECC) including working with committee leadership in preparing agendas; assuring maintenance of minutes and records of meetings; assisting in preparation of reports and communications from the ECC to the Dean, faculty, and students; and ensuring that the committee is meeting its responsibilities for oversight of curriculum as expected by LCME and as outlined in its terms of reference.
- Oversee the development of the academic calendar and ensure it is in compliance with the overall college calendar, the Touro University calendar, and institutional policies regarding observance of secular and religious holidays.
- Collaborate with course directors and clerkship directors to identify resource needs for the SOM.
- Promote curriculum development and educational innovation: target areas will be in curriculum development and assessment related to the core Entrustable Professional Activities (EPA's) required for graduating medical students, expansion of interprofessional education, and curricula in health systems and patient safety.
- Oversee the College's data entry into the AAMC national curriculum database and responsibility for the curriculum mapping process.
- Increase scholarly productivity (articles, national workshops) of the current Dean's staff and other educators, particularly in the dissemination of curricular innovations
- Other duties as assigned by the Dean for Undergraduate Medical Education.
- MA, MS, MBA, MHA, MHP, MPH, MD, PhD or EdD with higher education focus
- Expertise in education pedagogy, assessment, and latest trends in higher education
- A minimum of five years of successful experience in higher education
- Proficiency in Microsoft office, and other industry specific software
- Proficiency with flipped classroom technology and simulation modalities
Candidates for the position of ADUME will be selected from a diverse pool and will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in medical education including curriculum development and implementation, assessment, and direct instruction
- Demonstrated ability to lead an interdisciplinary team, provide strategic direction and manage complex projects
- Experience with the LCME accreditation process
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a complex environment
- Experience with distance learning platforms preferred
- Passionate about medical education
- Strong organizational skills, ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities, and able to meet deadlines
- Ability to think and act strategically
- A self-started with the confidence to move initiatives forward
- Strong presence and an engaging personal presentation style that encourages consensus building and cooperation among administrators and faculty members
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with multiple and diverse stakeholders
- Strong verbal and written interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent listening skills
- Penchant for creativity and innovation
- Commitment to personal development
- High ethical standards, honestly and integrity
- Accepts new responsibilities readily