Singapore Management University (SMU) invites applications for a
full-time Assistant Professor of Law.
The successful applicant will be jointly appointed to the SMU
Yong Pung How School of Law (YPHSL) and to the SMU Office of Core
Curriculum (OCC). S/he will be expected to:
- Develop and teach courses on ethics and social responsibility
offered by the School of Law.
- Develop and teach multidisciplinary courses within either the
“Technology and Society” basket or the “Cultures of the Modern
World” basket of the SMU Core Curriculum.
- Conceptualise and execute research focused on the evolving
relationship between law and society. We are especially interested
in candidates with a research focus on the legal and social
implications of technological developments.
- Participate actively in the research and educational
communities at SMU, and in the service of these communities.
Depending on qualifications, the successful applicant will
either be appointed on the Education track (renewable contract,
with a teaching load of six courses per year), or on the Research
track (tenure track, with a teaching load of four courses per year
and a one-course reduction during the first pre-tenure
Applications can be made at this link.
Applications should include:
- A cover letter indicating your interest in and suitability for
- A current curriculum vitae;
- A 1-2 page research statement;
- Three samples of academic work;
- A 1-2 page teaching statement and, if applicable, teaching
Applicants should also arrange for three academic
references with contact information to be sent directly
to: The Dean, Office of Core Curriculum, Singapore Management
University, 81 Victoria Street, Singapore 188065, or e-mail
SMU is committed to fostering diversity and cultivating an
inclusive work environment. Applications from women and minorities
are particularly encouraged.
Application deadline: 26 September 2021
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed and may be invited to
a campus visit, if local COVID-19 measures allow. The expected
start date is either 1 January 2022 or 1 July 2022.
- Post-graduate degree in law or Ph.D. in a related field such as
philosophy or political science. Those who do not have a
postgraduate degree in law are also encouraged to apply if there is
evidence of relevant subject matter expertise.
- A record of high quality research in the subject area. The
ideal candidate would also showcase an ability to conduct
- A record of excellence in undergraduate or post-graduate
teaching in the subject area.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including
strong public speaking skills.
Singapore Management University is a research university
committed to a multidisciplinary and integrated curriculum. Salary
and benefits, such as housing allowance and research support, are
The Yong Pung How School of Law offers LL.B, LL.M and J.D.
degrees. Its faculty are drawn from or have experience in a range
of jurisdictions and are united in their commitment to nurture
intellectual curiosity and creativity.
The Office of Core Curriculum oversees the delivery of the SMU
Core Curriculum, which offers students a broad-based
multidisciplinary curriculum under three pillars, Capabilities,
Communities, and Civilisations.
For further information about the Office of Core Curriculum and
the Yong Pung How School of Law can be found at www.smu.edu.sg/programmes/core-curriculum and https://law.smu.edu.sg/.