Health Educator, Intermediate
Campus Health Services
NAU aims to be the nation's preeminent engine of opportunity,
vehicle of economic mobility, and driver of social impact by
delivering equitable postsecondary value in Arizona and
- This position is an on-site position which requires the
incumbent to complete their work primarily at an NAU site, campus,
or facility with or without accommodation. Opportunities for remote
work are rare.
- Some evening/weekend work required.
The Health Educator Intermediate
plays a critical
role within Health Promotion and Campus Health Services in
supporting the health, safety and well-being of all NAU students.
Using public health theories and strategies, the Health Educator
Intermediate works collaboratively across campus to reduce unwanted
health outcomes and promote healthy behaviors among all NAU
students. This position focuses on topics related to sexual health,
sexual violence and stress management and coordinates the peer
health education program.
The overarching goal of the Health Promotion office is to create a
university environment that promotes health and well-being. The
Health Educator Intermediate works as part of a core group of
Health Promotion practitioners to conduct health needs assessments,
implement effective health promotion interventions, assess
effectiveness of efforts and advocate for changes to the built
environment that make the healthy choice the easy choice. The
Health Educator Intermediate creates accurate, effective health
education and communication materials, plans engaging educational
events, facilitates educational workshops, coordinates health
screening events and works with campus and community partners to
coordinate collaborative efforts that support student
Plan, Implement, and Evaluate Effective Health Promotion Efforts -
- Conduct literature reviews.
- Plan health promotion programs/interventions.
- Successfully execute health promotion programs.
- Evaluate efficacy of health promotion programs.
- Deliver/facilitate health education workshops.
- Coordinate health screening events and programs.
- Create and manage web-based health education content.
- Supervise peer health educators.
Create Accurate, Effective Health Education Materials - 30%
- Conduct focus groups.
- Use health behavior change theory to create effective health
education workshops, brochures, posters, handouts, and social media
- Develop high impact social marketing and public health
Collaboration - 25%
- Serve as a resource for university partners for relevant and
current health related materials and literature.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with key campus
- Serve on campus and community committees.
- Work with campus and community stakeholders to develop a
multidisciplinary approach to student health.
Data Management - 10%
- Assist in development of strategic plans and program goals for
the Health Promotion office.
- Collect and analyze data.
- Create data reports and share results.
- Create surveys and other assessment tools to measure impacts of
health promotion efforts.
Other - 5%
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Health Education or related field.
- 2-4 years of health education experience.
- Any combination of relevant education and experience may be
substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year
- Master's degree in related field.
- Six years of health education/public health experience.
- Experience working in higher education.
- Experience working with student groups.
- CHES certification.
- Experience with program planning and evaluation.
- Experience creating health education materials.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability working with and leading student
- Familiarity with social marketing theories and approaches.
- Skill in reviewing professional heath literature and
incorporating findings into health promotion programs.
- Familiarity with Health Promotion principles and theories of
- Basic understanding of program planning and evaluation.
- Skills in delivering educational materials in a variety of
- Familiarity with college health issues.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups of
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive
position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona
University requires satisfactory results for the following: a
criminal background investigation, employment history
investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and
fingerprinting. If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL,
you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier
Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere
to the clearinghouse requirements. Additionally, as an employer in
the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal
E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new
employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year
Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report
. The report is a result
of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery
reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed
calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU
uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report
crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the
Fire Safety Report
is combined with the Annual
Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this
campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire
safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing
and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you
would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the
NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the
department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Salary range begins at $54,779. Annual salary commensurate with
candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair
Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or
compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent
benefit package including generous health, dental and vision
insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System;
paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for
employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at
NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website
. Classified Staff
employees are in a probationary status for their first six months
at NAU. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus. Employees offered a
position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's
BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits
on the first day of the
pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date.
Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in
benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in
the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability
coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period
following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity
for professional development. New
employee on-boarding training
includes courses to be completed
within the first 30 days.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship
for this position.
June 5, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on
this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the
"Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you
need assistance completing your application there are instructions
available on the Human Resources website
or in person in the
Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus
- on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable
accommodation to participate in the hiring process, please contact
the Disability Resources Office at 928-523-8773, DR@nau.edu
, or PO Box 5633, Flagstaff AZ
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities,
veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
Know Your Rights Poster
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps,
and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=607258&PostingSeq=1