The Chief Operating Officer (COO) reports directly to the President of MIU and leads all administrative departments, such as Accounting and Finance, Human Resources, and Enrollment Center, as well as all the Operations, such as Public Safety, Facilities Management, Housing, Food Service, and the commercial departments, like Marketing, Admissions, and Development. This position provides strategic and innovative counsel to MIU’s President to support short and long-term business objectives that drive organizational performance. It also establishes the policies, practices and procedures to ensure administration and operational effectiveness, and implements changes required for the improvement of our organizational functions, including working in collaboration with the Vice President of Digital Education to fulfill the needs of all the Digital Transformation projects under the administrative, operations and commercial areas.
About Maharishi International University (MIU) and the Opportunity:
Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, MIU has a 50-year history as an innovator in higher education. With a student population of nearly 3,000, more than half of MIU’s instruction is online. We have 15 online graduate programs, and our online undergraduate enrollment has increased from 100 to 500 in just the past few years.
Most importantly, MIU is the world pioneer of Consciousness-Based education, with the mission of promoting the development of every student’s physical, mental, and emotional potential through the development of consciousness, using the simple, natural, and effortless technique of Transcendental Meditation (TM).
We’re searching for a Chief Operating Officer (COO) with strong leadership skills, and the ability to lead our business under the direction of our President to continue, expand and support the growth of our organization. The COO will lead our teams in multiple administrative departments of the University to be efficient, productive, and high performing. Our ideal candidate has extensive experience in the higher education industry, preferably having worked their way up to an executive role.
- Collaborate with MIU’s President in setting and driving organizational vision, operations strategy, and hiring levels.
- Develop and implement a strategic plan, while delivering strategic programs across the organization.
- Translate strategy into actionable milestones for growth, implementing organization-wide goal setting, performance management, and annual operations planning, ensuring that all departments under their supervision have the right resources to fulfill their goals and objectives.
- Assist the leadership team with identifying and implementing programs and processes to achieve the highest standards for the efficient use of the financial and human resources in our charge and facilitating change management for new programs.
- Collaborate with department leaders and human resources to ensure proper staffing for all the departments under their supervision, including designing strategies for talent acquisition, career paths, employee relations, and training and development.
- Oversee company operations and department’s productivity, building a highly inclusive culture that ensures team members can thrive and that organizational goals are met.
- Manage capital investments and expenses aggressively to ensure that MIU achieves targets for growth. Develop and manage the organization's annual budgets and perform periodic cost and productivity analyses.
- Analyze internal operations/administration and identify areas for process enhancement. Ensures that department heads are constantly evaluating departmental procedures to streamline and/or automate processes.
- Collaborate with the general counsel (GC) to ensure regulatory compliance and contractual compliance.
- Transform the organization's culture and become a service provider that is recognized for achieving operational excellence.
- Set the tone, and nurture a collaborative and culturally competent work environment, and promote a culture of belonging and respect.
- Drive the budget, personnel and procurement functions at the University to include formation, approval and execution of the budget, management of administrative personnel decisions and oversight of procedural compliance and funding of academic positions while reserving purely academic decisions to the Provost, and final procurement decisions with the advice of General Counsel.
Key Performance Indicators:
- The key performance indicators of success for the COO include:
- Customer satisfaction including student, faculty and administrative staff satisfaction.
- Operational effectiveness including overall performance relative to benchmarks from similarly sized academic intuitions.
- Financial performance including cost to operate and maintain the analog and digital campus
- Human factors including SOPs, training, succession planning for non-academic positions and career development of support personnel.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and working effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Executive level strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to interpret business and operational needs and develop integrated, creative solutions, demonstrating a clear understanding of advanced business planning and regulatory issues.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills to analyze problems and develop creative solutions to complex organizational issues.
- Excellent financial and budgetary skills.
- Solid knowledge of data analysis and organizational performance metrics, demonstrating proficiency in the use of information technology for the effective and efficient delivery of services.
- Experienced in all Microsoft Office products, especially PowerPoint and Excel and Microsoft 365 Enterprise Suite.
Education and Expertise:
- Five or more years of experience in executive leadership roles, preferably in the higher education industry, a majority of which should be in an operational leadership position including responsibilities for development and implementation of strategic programs, policies and practices in support of overall operational mission, objectives and goals of the organization.
- Master’s degree in business or a related field strongly preferred.
- Working knowledge of project management, time management, scheduling, and communication principles/practices and the ability to apply those principles. Skill in planning work and organizing and executing multiple assignments under specific time constraints.
- Knowledge and experience with strategic planning, complex data analysis, and reporting and managing organizational change and transition processes. Proven ability to ready an organization for change, gain staff buy-in, and be the change leader for business process changes.
- Experience tracking emerging trends, identifying strategic business opportunities, evaluating possible solutions, presenting recommendations to executive leaders, and working collaboratively to communicate and implement recommended programs and projects. Proven track record of delivering value to organizations in a proactive manner.
1. Please Apply here.
2. Once you have applied by following the link above, for the next step in the recruitment process, we would like to invite you to take an assessment that will evaluate your Cognitive Aptitude, Leadership, and Emotional Intelligence. The assessment will give us a better understanding of your strengths and capabilities, and how they align with our company's needs and culture.
To take the assessment, please follow this link:
The assessment will take approximately 45 minutes to complete, and we recommend finding a quiet and distraction-free environment to ensure that you can focus.
3. When we have received both your application AND assessment results, our Recruiter will contact you regarding the next steps in the process. We are currently reviewing resumes and cover letters, and scheduling interviews, so apply promptly if you would like to be considered.