The Vice President of Online Expansion and Digital Transformation (VPOEDT) will lead the digital transformation of the university’s academic offerings, as well as the digital transformation efforts within non-academic departments. Reporting to the President, the VPOEDT will be responsible for centralizing the university’s digital transformation and the online learning strategy, coordinating matters pertaining to online course and degree program development, overseeing the selection and implementation of university digital learning tools, and supporting the sustainability of the digital transformation and learning infrastructure that aligns with the university’s strategic plan.
VPOEDT will oversee faculty support services that are focused on improving teaching for diverse learners through evidence-based pedagogical strategies, professional workshops and seminars, assessment services, and impactful application of educational technologies. Units reporting directly to the VPOEDT include MAVIM, BAAW, and BAAS
The Vice President of Online Expansion and Digital Transformation will work closely with deans and academic leaders, faculty, administrators, corporate partners, and development teams to identify areas of growth in online and hybrid initiatives and build the processes, business models, and resources needed to achieve that growth. This work will include the identification of opportunities to grow enrollment or expand access, the creation of financial and resource plans, building teams to fulfill strategic priorities, guiding program creation, implementation, and management, data collection and assessment of outcomes, ensuring regulatory compliance, and regular reporting to the President.
About Maharishi International University (MIU) and the Opportunity:
Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, MIU has a 50-year history as an innovator in higher education. With a headcount of nearly 3,000 students, more than half of MIU’s instruction is already online. We have 15 online graduate programs, and our online undergraduate enrollment has increased from 100 to 500 in just the past four years. This growth has been supported by a multi-year, multimillion-dollar grant to fund the digital transformation of the university.
Most importantly, MIU is the world pioneer of Consciousness-Based education, with the mission of promoting the development of every student’s physical, mental, and emotional potential through the development of consciousness, using the simple, natural, and effortless technique of Transcendental Meditation (TM).
Key Responsibilities of the VPOEDT include:
- Facilitate the development of MIU’s overarching online education strategy.
- Guide and collaborate with the Digital Transformation Team to build out MIU Online central services and processes to coordinate with academic units on the development, delivery, marketing, enrollment, faculty support, and learner support for online and hybrid programs.
- Collaborate with the COO to ensure that the administrative, operations and commercial areas that impact Digital Transformation projects will follow the strategy and align with overall DX goals and objectives.
- Establish relationships with online education providers and advise academic units in instances when it would be beneficial to partner with an outside vendor.
- Develop an organizational model and staffing plan to expand capacity to deliver instructional design, media, and related support for in-person and online courses. In consultation with VP of Academic Affairs, implement a process to coordinate the review and approval of new online offerings including validating market viability, establishing pricing strategies, and planning student recruitment and support.
- Institute regular processes and capabilities to scan markets and propose changes to MIU’s portfolio of online offerings to take advantage of new opportunities and further the goals of MIU.
- Lead collaborative marketing with VP of Enrollment and student support strategy for online learning that extends the University’s brand to the online education space.
- Collaborate with VP of Academic Affairs and Chief Information Officer to design and support innovative and effective learning spaces. Extend efforts to support effective practices in pedagogy for diverse learners and contexts.
- Expand capacity to assist faculty as they discover and evaluate the applicability of new technologies to teaching and learning in all modalities. Work with Dean of Teaching and Learning to address gaps.
- Work with the VP for Enrollment Management (VPEM) to undertake initiatives that improve the quality of students’ experience and retention in online education.
Key Performance Indicators:
The key performance indicators of success for the VPOEDT include:
- Customer satisfaction including student satisfaction and faculty satisfaction.
- Operational effectiveness including availability, mean time between failure and adaptability.
- Financial performance including cost to build and cost to operate and maintain.
- Knowledge factors including ease of use, training and support.
- The successful candidate will be an experienced leader with knowledge of effective pedagogy and an established track record in building, implementing, and managing an online education enterprise.
- The position also requires knowledge of effective practices in pedagogy for diverse learners and contexts, faculty professional development, and effective use of educational technologies in both online and in-person courses.
- Familiarity with accreditation practices and requirements and federal and state regulations pertaining to online education compliance is necessary.
- Expertise in negotiating academic/corporate partnerships and business arrangements in online program management is highly desirable, as is some background in market research and promotion.
- Teaching experience at the university level is helpful.
- A doctoral degree is preferred, a master’s degree is required.
Education and Experience:
This position requires at least 10 years of progressively more responsible leadership experience (in a senior-level role) in a teaching/learning/technology environment and a strong familiarity with the competitive landscape of online education. A doctoral degree is preferred; a master’s degree is required. In addition, well-qualified candidates will have many of these skills and abilities:
- Demonstrated success in building and managing online educational programs and a vision for the future of online learning.
- Expertise in negotiating academic/corporate partnerships.
- Demonstrated ability to use innovative approaches to support teaching and learning online and in person. Strong understanding of digital pedagogy and the applications of learning technologies (beyond the LMS or videoconferencing to include technologies such as simulations, extended reality, and the future metaverse).
- Familiarity with effective practices in learning space design and support.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong working relationships with internal and external partners, and to meaningfully interact with diverse populations including staff, faculty, and students.
- Demonstrated commitment to enhancing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Experience creating educational programs and pedagogy to meet the needs of underrepresented learners.
- Ability to create, lead, and motivate high-performing teams.
- A demonstrated ability to create a positive, inclusive culture. Teaching experience at the college or university level is preferred.
- 1. Please Apply here, by clicking "Apply Online" and then hover your cursor over the left panel. You will then see "Create your applicant profile now!" to create your New User Profile.
- Once you have applied by following the link above, for the next step in the recruitment process, we would like to invite you to take an assessment that will evaluate your Cognitive Aptitude, Leadership, and Emotional Intelligence. The assessment will give us a better understanding of your strengths and capabilities, and how they align with our company's needs and culture.
To take the assessment, please follow this link:
The assessment will take approximately 45 minutes to complete, and we recommend finding a quiet and distraction-free environment to ensure that you can focus.
- When we have received both your application AND assessment results, our Recruiter will contact you regarding the next steps in the process. We are currently reviewing resumes and cover letters, and scheduling interviews, so apply promptly to be considered.