Open Until Filled
Advancement Writer and Content Specialist
Department this Position Reports to
Hiring Range Minimum
Hiring Range Maximum
Not a Union Position
Not an SEIU Position
Regular Full Time
Scheduled Months per Year
Scheduled Hours per Week
M-F 8:00AM-5:00PM when in the Office with Hybrid arrangements
to be discussed with Supervisor
Location of Position
21 Lafayette Rd
Remote Work Eligibility?
Is this a term position?
If yes, length of term in months.
Is this a grant funded position?
The Advancement Writer & Content Specialist is a key member of
the Strategic Engagement team, responsible for a developing content
across a diversity of media, audiences, and platforms. The
incumbent is an exceptional writer, a clear communicator, and a
collaborative partner, developing high-quality editorial content
from concept to execution. The position requires excellent
editorial judgement and the ability to translate complex concepts
to compelling content with the goal of inspiring audiences,
strengthening engagement, and maximizing philanthropic support to
Dartmouth Health and the Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth.
The position works in partnership with colleagues across the
Content and Creative team, the wider Advancement office, and with
colleagues in the Geisel School of Medicine and Dartmouth
Required Qualifications - Education and Yrs Exp
Bachelors or equivalent combination of education and
Required Qualifications - Skills, Knowledge and
Skills & Knowledge
- Outstanding content development, writing, and editorial
- Excellent interviewing and interpersonal skills.
- General knowledge of and interest in health and/or science
subjects, and a demonstrated ability to communicate complex
concepts to a diversity of audiences.
- Familiarity with fundraising communications strategies,
messaging, and/or tactics is desirable.
- Commitment to values and practices that advance an environment
of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
- Proven ability to participate in collaborative teams.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Creativity and initiative.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and
- Brings joy and humor to the workplace
· Minimum of two to four years of related professional
· Experience working in a large and complex institution
· Experience working on multiple, concurrent, high-priority writing
· Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a communications-related
Department Contact for Recruitment Inquiries
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment
Department Contact Phone Number
1 603 646 5873
Department Contact for Cover Letter and Title
Department Contact's Phone Number
1 603 646 5873
Equal Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We
prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex,
age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any
other legally protected status. Applications by members of all
underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and
successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which
may include a criminal background check, reference checks,
verification of work history, and verification of any required
academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results
acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not
automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background
check information will be used in a confidential,
non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal
Is driving a vehicle (e.g. Dartmouth vehicle or off road
vehicle, rental car, personal car) an essential function of this
Preferred, but not required
Special Instructions to Applicants
Dartmouth College has a Tobacco-Free Policy. Smoking and the use of
tobacco-based products (including smokeless tobacco) are prohibited
in all facilities, grounds, vehicles or other areas owned, operated
or occupied by Dartmouth College with no exceptions. For details,
please see our policy.
· Develops content across multiple communications channels,
campaigns, and initiatives, including for web, email, social,
print, and digital; ensures editorial content reflects
institutional engagement and fundraising priorities and supports
the engagement, cultivation, and stewardship of key
· Researches, writes, and edits content for a variety of Dartmouth
Health/Geisel print and digital communications, with a strong focus
on powerful storytelling that advances patient care, research,
medical education, and community health.
· Gathers information for stories through interviews with subjects
and sources, including donors, alumni, students, patients, faculty,
· Effectively translates medical and scientific concepts for a
diversity of audiences.
· Assists in the researching and writing of proposals and
fundraising marketing material.
· Drafts content for large and small-scale events.
· Monitors leadership messaging, institutional news and stories,
and stays abreast of institutional initiatives.
· Writes in accordance with institutional messaging, tone, and
· Edits and proofs the work of others as needed.
Percentage Of Time
Planning and Collaboration
· Manages key communications projects, collateral, and
· Works proactively with colleagues to identify potential
philanthropy stories; develops sources of information by
establishing and maintaining positive working relationships with
key faculty members and staff across Geisel and Dartmouth Health,
· Works with external contractors, vendors, and freelance
· Collaborates with communications colleagues across Geisel and
Dartmouth Health to share information, place stories in
institutional communications channels, and raise the visibility of
philanthropy to internal and external audiences.
· Proactively identifies communications needs and opportunities to
further Geisel and Dartmouth Health advancement goals.
· Collaborates with colleagues on the team in shaping effective and
compelling communications, bringing a creative, critical, and
strategic approach to planning sessions.
· Manages multiple concurrent projects to meet deadlines
Percentage Of Time
Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural
awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with
Performs other duties as assigned.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Talent Acquisition Consultant
- American Library Association
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Dartmouth College Employment Website
- Internal Employee Referral (Please specify full name
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed Jobs
- National Black MBA Association
- Recruit Military
- Valley News
- Other (Please specify below)
- If you answered, 'Internal Employee Referral' or 'Other' to the
above question, please specify here:
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Writing Portfolio